Fishing goal this summer

Guest Guest123456789

I have a number of fishing goals this summer, apart from actually getting out on the water at least once a week! They are, in no particular order:

* a decent sized snapper, ideally on plastics.

* decent jew.

* a small black marlin out of my boat, solo if necessary.

* dolphin fish.

* my first fish on fly.

Hoping the seas are OK tomorrow for a run to Broughton Island chasing snapper. Not ready for a run to the FAD yet.

22 hours ago, JonD said:

In the thread on circle hooks where I noticed you mention those 1/0 hooks I mentioned that I use 4 or 5/0 circles. As you are probably aware circles often seem a fair amount smaller than an equivalent j hook this seems even more the case since I've been using bkk hooks. 

I find in the 4 & 5/0 if using either a whole or half pilchard there's still enough hook showing to catch good sized snapper. You may miss out on those trevally though with the bigger hooks.

I honestly believe plastic are so much better on snapper and you will get far less of the small pickers attacking your bait. Even from the rocks or harbour I would be trying to get a zmen squiggly tail out there somehow and twitch it back.

Exactly, I normally fish landbased lure but for when I use bait i use 1/0. But I do think that 4 or 5/0 hooks should work better offshore for snapper.

Asking a bit much but I would like to catch a 1 meter flathead on 1kg pretest line.  I have caught 2 at 97cm and dropped a bigger one next to the boat when the swivel came apart.  Tried the sussex basin and port hacking and thinking now of trying the northern rivers.   Ron. 

hey dada  contrary to others beleifs...I catch most of my 6kg plus snapper on short shank titanium hooks size 1/0 .. I use slightly bigger 3/0 when using whole heads of slimies for reds..big snapper can get a 6 or 7/0 hook and break them in their mouth...all the big reds I catch are hooked in the mouth or lips with 1/0 short shank hooks..i will make it my mission this next year to crack 10kg..rick

3 hours ago, campr said:

Asking a bit much but I would like to catch a 1 meter flathead on 1kg pretest line.  I have caught 2 at 97cm and dropped a bigger one next to the boat when the swivel came apart.  Tried the sussex basin and port hacking and thinking now of trying the northern rivers.   Ron. 

You’ll do it, Ron! I’d be happy for a trophy length lizard on 2kg!

See you at Swansea?

• 1 month later...
On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:54 PM, geshy said:

1 15+kg jew 

2 metre king 

3 beat my pb flatty which is 80

A one hundred and fifteen kilogram plus jewfish and a two metre long kingfish. Geshy I am seriously impressed at how high you set the bar. :lol:

Edited by DerekD
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DerekD said:

A one hundred and fifteen kilogram plus jewfish and a two metre long kingfish. Geshy I am seriously impressed at how high you set the bar. :lol:

?? oops should have done . After the 1 and 2 my bad but I guess go big or go home 

On 12/4/2017 at 8:36 PM, DerekD said:

My general goal for the Summer is to spend more time learning how to shore jig well with the flutter jigs.

My fishing holy grail, my trinity, my golden trifecta is to catch a 1m plus king, from the kayak on a fly rod. May have set the bar too high. Have caught kings from the kayak but haven't caught a king with the fly rod yet and certainly not a 1m plus specimen.

My goal is to catch 1 king off the kayak ?

On 04/12/2017 at 4:36 PM, flatheadluke said:

Curious to know what your number one goal everyone has for this summer season of fishing. We all fish differently and are at different levels of experience.

Me personally I’d be stoked to catch a a feed of blue swimmer crabs. I’ve never targeted them before in my local system. I’d like to catch/eat enough so that I might have gout in time for winter 2018!

I'll be happy if I catch a fish,any fish,any size,any type.Ohh and if I can lose more than one bait every 2hrs.?

24 minutes ago, Hooked-Up said:

Easily pleased but really its true!

It is true.I mentioned somewhere else that if got upset every time I lucked out I would tie the anchor round my foot and fall overboard to the bottom of the depths with Davy Jones permanently.

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest123456789

How is everyone going with their goal? I am happy to report I achieved mine after much trial and error 

84AD5E1F-D178-4DC0-A082-F5A4A1D45D92.jpeg

On 12/4/2017 at 7:54 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

I have a couple of wants this season coming..10kg red..havnt got one for 6 yrs...nice big Spanish..havnt got one for two yrs..and a good jew off the beach..ive been too slack for two yrs to try...rick

Better get your ass into gear and start ticking them off Rick. Good luck, bn

On 12/4/2017 at 7:54 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

I have a couple of wants this season coming..10kg red..havnt got one for 6 yrs...nice big Spanish..havnt got one for two yrs..and a good jew off the beach..ive been too slack for two yrs to try...rick

Should come up my way Ric plenty of Spanish around here atm! If you want your Jew ballina been pumping out some 30kg monsters the past couple weeks!

On 1/19/2018 at 12:31 AM, Fab1 said:

I'll be happy if I catch a fish,any fish,any size,any type.Ohh and if I can lose more than one bait every 2hrs.?

Come off it Fabian, things cannot be that bad, surely. Are u serious? bn

On 06/12/2017 at 12:20 PM, Berleyguts said:

I have a number of fishing goals this summer, apart from actually getting out on the water at least once a week! They are, in no particular order:

* a decent sized snapper, ideally on plastics.

* decent jew.

* a small black marlin out of my boat, solo if necessary.

* dolphin fish.

* my first fish on fly.

Hoping the seas are OK tomorrow for a run to Broughton Island chasing snapper. Not ready for a run to the FAD yet.

Hmmm... summer’s gone and I haven’t achieved any of these yet... but there’s still time in autumn! However, I have been fishing a lot more often ✅ and (in autumn) managed to bag out on fat, legal kingfish and I bagged out twice on blue spot flathead. Pretty happy with that. Let’s see what next week brings!

• Like 1