Soft Plastics - Newbie

Armpits

Hey guys,

I have bought some soft plastics and have used it but never really looked up how to use them properly etc... so now I have abit of time to research I got a few things I like to know.

1) When rigging the soft plastics do I need a jig head? Or you don’t need to use one? If so, how would I go about doing so without a jig head?

2) What are some common and basic rig setup for soft plastic? 

3) When casting the soft plastics out with a spinning reel. Do I just leave it out to sit or do I want to wind the soft plastic in slowly? Can anyone recommend me a technique for SP?

It’s really simple question. I have look on YouTube to all are using jig heads. Though my question above is do all soft plastics require a jig head? Or I don’t have to go buy one and use a different rig setup for it? 

for casting yes you need jig heads, if your drifting in a boat you can use inline hook with paternoster rig, theres some american rigs too, wacky rig i think is one from memory. just checked and wacky is for lakes without current.

Edited by Hooked-Up

Armpits. It's not as simple a question as you seem to think. There are many circumstances conditions etc where you don't need a jighead for soft plastics, there are plenty of plastics that are heavy enough to cast a fair distance without additional weight then there is the style of fishing you are doing and the gear you are using. It's too varied a question to answer with a couple of internet posts, think yourself lucky you have so many experienced fisho's trying to help you with your questions.

When I started learning the art of catching fish there was no internet or such and fishing mags etc were expensive and usually well out of date before they were released.

Time will answer some of what you want to learn, you will NEVER stop learning, I have been at it 60 odd years and I am still learning.

Frank

Well I am just starting out and don’t need to know the advanced stuff yet. I just want to know the basics. I know soft plastics are used with jig heads from researching but I also want to know if one does not have a jig head can you rig it up still? If so, how? Would I have to add a sinker or something? Can I just have a small sinker above the hook just like a jig head. Please recommend me a way that is what my question was, sorry if it did not make sense.

Edited by Armpits

If you're starting out a really good species to target is flathead. They are pretty easy to catch and the techniques is not super critical. Just cast out and let it sink to the bottom, lift rod up and let ink again, continue until you get kit and set the hook hard Best way to learn is to find someone to go and fish with for a session or two, usually you will figure out the rest yourself from time but fishraider is always hear to help. Good luck!

2 hours ago, Armpits said:

Well I am just starting out and don’t need to know the advanced stuff yet. I just want to know the basics. I know soft plastics are used with jig heads from researching but I also want to know if one does not have a jig head can you rig it up still? If so, how? Would I have to add a sinker or something? Can I just have a small sinker above the hook just like a jig head. Please recommend me a way that is what my question was, sorry if it did not make sense.

Yeah pretty much - I've done it before, thread a plastic on a long shank hook and have a ball sink running down to it. Better even would be to fix the ball sinker down near the hook so it doesn't move up the line.

It can be done, I've done it before as a muck around/experiment and got a flathead doing so.

That all being said, just get some jigheads - its much easier lol

• 1 month later...