Burrinjuck Dam

frankS

Well yet again another trip to Burrinjuck for no fish. Arrived Monday and waited for a break between showers to unload gear
into the cabin, waited again for a break in the weather, watched the cricket till 10pm then went to bed.
Tuesday myself and Big Neil spent 5 hours between showers trolling and tossing various lures spinner baits etc, 
finally decided to call it a day and bounce our way back to the ramp, to say we got wet was an understatement. 
The weather didn't look like breaking so we decided to call it quits and come home early.
I believe Marty and John ( friend of mine from another site ) put the boat in but didn't wet a line, well not in the way you normally wet a line anyway.
Still had fun and it was good to spend some time with good blokes.
Frank

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

means the next trip will be awesome....startin to think neil is a human banana......hahahaha

Who looks more like a watermelon. I'm starting to think I'm JINXED. Went out for the opening and got nothing while my buddy, sitting 2 mtrs away, got 5 Cod. Watch this space though cos it can't last for ever. Least I hope not! Thanks for putting up with me Frank, Marty and John. Always fun anyway, have to take the rough with the smooth. Cheers bn

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

means the next trip will be awesome....startin to think neil is a human banana......hahahaha

Funny you should say that!! towards the end of our fishless session Neil says " want a Banana ?" and drags one out of his bag and starts munching on it.

Not that I believe in that sort of stuff.

Just the day after the full moon where the fish have been gorging themselves under the moon light all night, they just ain't hungry the next day.

Still I wouldn't have missed it, was great meeting and spending some time with Neil and a couple of old mates that I don't get to see that often.

Frank

6 hours ago, frankS said:

Funny you should say that!! towards the end of our fishless session Neil says " want a Banana ?" and drags one out of his bag and starts munching on it.

Not that I believe in that sort of stuff.

Just the day after the full moon where the fish have been gorging themselves under the moon light all night, they just ain't hungry the next day.

Still I wouldn't have missed it, was great meeting and spending some time with Neil and a couple of old mates that I don't get to see that often.

Frank

Now listen you lot, don't go blaming the bloody bananas. It was the fish that didn't want to play and the weather gods doing their best to put a wet blanket on things. Just been to Wagga and the Murrumbidgee is the colour of chocolate with all the rainfall we've had. bn

• 3 years later...

Looking back at this trip I had with Neil @big Neil and a couple of special friends.

Sadly both Marty and John have passed on since then, Marty in June 2020 and John in December 2020.

We had a lot of special times together and many fishing trips, some trips away to north Queensland and some more local.

I sure do miss boath marty and John.

On a lighter note this is how the trip pretty well ended with Neil and myself making our way back to the ramp in Neil's boat.

166908936_burrinjucktrip.thumb.jpg.d1ec3daa84ce6cba0efac7d19165efba.jpg

It was after this @big Neil produced the Banana.

Photo doesn't do the weather justice, it was teeming down. 

Frank

Edited by frankS

This was 4 years ago. I use to make it a rule that I would fish  Burrinjuck each Cod opening, I went back in 2018 but that was the last time I fished it. Thinking I should be there now but with my Burrinjuck fishing mates both passing on and Neil does not like Burrinjuck all that much, I feel that I may have caught my last Cod from the waterway.

Frank

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, frankS said:

This was 4 years ago. I use to make it a rule that I would fish  Burrinjuck each Cod opening, I went back in 2018 but that was the last time I fished it. Thinking I should be there now but with my Burrinjuck fishing mates both passing on and Neil does not like Burrinjuck all that much, I feel that I may have caught my last Cod from the waterway.

Frank

Gee Frank that's a trip down memory lane. I recall that we finally bit the bullet and went out even though the weather was el crapo. We ended up in that bay down near the dam wall chucking lures into the submerged tree stumps. You had one Yella follow your lure and that was the nearest to catching a fish that we got.

The rain started to get heavier and we decided to head back. Everything was fine till we came from the little bay, out into the main dam. The white caps were rolling in, whipped up by the strong wind. I do recall thinking "this is going to be hairy" as we set off at a snails pace back to the ramp. I calculated the wave direction and frequency and confirmed my original diagnosis. Each wave was coming about 30 degrees to starboard as we crept back 1.5 kms to the ramp. You looked like a drowned rat as the tinny filled with several inches of water. That's probably the thing I dislike about fishing impoundments mostly...the wind impact in these wide valleys is incredible, sudden and unexpected.

Anyway, we survived the trip, that's the main thing. bn