Boat fuel

Omally

Thanks for that rick... I have to actually just that this boat costs around  20 grand and my other boats were around 5 didn't really bother me... That's what I was thinking it only has about a quarter of a tank was thinking of filling it with 98 and its not premix its injected.... My other motors were pre mix Mmmmm decisions decisions might see if I can get any out with the syphon and if not yeah just go it.... Thanks once again rick

Hi Omally

i think some of the other guys have answered your initial query but it is worth mentioning that you should look up the fuel type for your particular model of motor. Ie, if the manufacturer says use 91 octane then dont waste your money on 98 octane fuel. The motor cant burn it you will end up with black soot around the back of the boat or even worse clogged parts that can cause bigger problems.

Some of the newer motors use a lower octane fuel to meet emmissions targets etc etc all very fluffy to me considering the number of boaters on the water vs cars - yet cars have no such "restrictions" 

Edited by GoingFishing

If its only a quarter of a tank I wouldnt worry about it either, as rick says top it up and it should be fine. 

Really the main issue is with carburetors if it sits in there it can gunk up and block the jets so you should always run your motor out till its dry if you think you won't use it for 4-6+ months

Edited by Smasher
oops

Thanks guys yeah it was run dry.... Going fishing brought up a good one.. I have an o4 Yamaha 60 hp God knows what fuel it takes any one know?? Maybe I'll do what rick said and yes it all hopefully ? and start using 91 with a stabiliser.... Has anybody done away with their in hull tank for the good old red portable ones... And yeah I'll go out there tomorrow see if I can take the carby bowls out and just inspect them... 

Edited by Omally

Damn come to think of it not sure if I ran it dry I usually do just had so much going on the beast has taken a bit of neglect... Well not any more ?time to show her some love... Maybe a shot of carbon cleaner to

Edited by Omally

I had a 60 yammy on my vsea  great motors...if you are having doubts any easy clean if you don't want to remove carbs;it only takes 5 mins by the way;take fuel line off on outward side of fuel filter on side of motor and spray a heap of carby cleaner in it..replace then pump fuel bulb  then wait ten mins then start motor on hose..this works well ive done it..if you have any running probs then take carbs off.its only four bolts and two clips then you can remove bowls and fully clean...if you have decent filter an water separator you shouldn't need to do this..rick