Morning flatties before work

seasponge

I took the opportunity to take a quick morning fish before work at a little bay near work. I got there at 6am and the tide was a perfect low to allow me to wade out to cast SPs to the drop off from the flats. 

First cast, and very first flick of the SP, and I got a good hit. Second cast, another solid hit. Good signs. A few casts later, I pulled in a legal flattie. Shortly after followed by another slightly bigger one. Plenty of smaller flatties followed after that. I was constantly moving around the bay but at one point it was pretty much a flattie every cast. 

I've fished this spot before and it's normally a fun spot to fish flatties on SP. Plenty of action, and can normally end up with a feed of a few smaller flatties. Just as I was thinking that this spot only ever holds flatties up to 40cm, I get a damn good solid hit. Plenty of pull and lots of head shakes. I had waded out almost 100m to fish in thigh deep water. I knew I wanted to bring this one in, so it was a fun wade back to shore, fighting this one in all the way - good fun on light gear! Got it in - a good sized 50cm.

I kept fishing and the fish kept coming, all undersized. By 7am, I'm thinking it's time to pack it in and get to work. Slowly make my way across the bay, casting and flicking as I return to my gear, when I get hit again. There wasn't much of a hit this time, and not much pull so I was thinking it was another smaller one. I get it in next to me, and it was another cracker flattie. Waded back in to shore again, and this one measured 53cm. Surprisingly virtually no fight compared to the 50cm version. 

Begrudgingly I called it a day (albeit a successful one) then. I wanted to keep fishing, but I also had to get to work on time. 

In the end, I went to work with a feed of 53cm, 50cm and 40cm flattie (the smaller one in the pic was let go). A very good start to a working friday!

All fish were caught on 2.5in Zman Grubz in amber, 1/12th jighead. 

20171208_074235-1.jpg  20171208_073819-1.jpg 20171208_064610-1.jpg

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Did you say amber? Are they similar to motor oil grubs? I find they work well 

Amber are very similar. Motor oil are normally my "go to" SPs and i actually thought these were motor oil until i read the packet. Very similar, just very slightly more brownish than greenish. 

It definately was a hard call to stop the session and head to work! 

12 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Well done! 1/12 oz jig heads? I think I’m fishing too heavy!

It all depends on the conditions. This was up the end of a bay where there is no tidal current.

Where i normally fish, where there is a bit of current, I'm using 1/8, 1/6 or 3/8.

F00B6DE3-7B99-46EA-AFD4-9369C8BC88DC.jpeg

I got this obese  90cm Lizard this morning. Sorry I don’t have better angled pics, it’s girth was phenomenal.  He jumped on a pilchard I had out on a floating rig,  Which I set up in preparation for  the livies I was busy pursuing for My assault on the Kingies terrorizing  the Harbour presently.

In fact I forgot all about it!  

I caught my first yellow tail and turned to where the float was last, no where to be seen(ffs)!

To my surprised delight This species typical lazy fat lizard had ambushed the Pilly  and taken rig, kingfish worthy float and all backdown to his sunbaking spot.

I cant stress how relieved I was that I landed this fat specimen without foiling  my plan to instantaneously transfer the first lives I caught from hook to live rig. 

A32D66F3-F882-476E-B269-AD53D222EFC6.jpeg

7 hours ago, seasponge said:

It definately was a hard call to stop the session and head to work! 

It all depends on the conditions. This was up the end of a bay where there is no tidal current.

Where i normally fish, where there is a bit of current, I'm using 1/8, 1/6 or 3/8.

Thanks. I usually use 1/4 oz. I have lighter but I find them hard to cast far. Will have to work at it, I guess!

On 09/12/2017 at 0:29 PM, TangerinelandbasedmachinE said:

F00B6DE3-7B99-46EA-AFD4-9369C8BC88DC.jpeg

I got this obese  90cm Lizard this morning. Sorry I don’t have better angled pics, it’s girth was phenomenal.  He jumped on a pilchard I had out on a floating rig,  Which I set up in preparation for  the livies I was busy pursuing for My assault on the Kingies terrorizing  the Harbour presently.

In fact I forgot all about it!  

I caught my first yellow tail and turned to where the float was last, no where to be seen(ffs)!

To my surprised delight This species typical lazy fat lizard had ambushed the Pilly  and taken rig, kingfish worthy float and all backdown to his sunbaking spot.

I cant stress how relieved I was that I landed this fat specimen without foiling  my plan to instantaneously transfer the first lives I caught from hook to live rig. 

A32D66F3-F882-476E-B269-AD53D222EFC6.jpeg

Which wharf is that?

• 3 weeks later...