Battery charging question

Pauafritta

I have left my battery switched on and it is completely flat. I can switch to the secondary battery and start the boat as this should be fully charged. I park my boat on the street and getting the flat battery out to charge it is extremely difficult and I'm not sure the MX5 motorbike battery charger would do the job. 

So, if i took the boat on the water, using the secondary battery to start it, will running the motor charge up the flat battery?  or do i just need to suck it up, buy a new charger and extract the battery from the boat?

51 minutes ago, Pauafritta said:

I have left my battery switched on and it is completely flat. I can switch to the secondary battery and start the boat as this should be fully charged. I park my boat on the street and getting the flat battery out to charge it is extremely difficult and I'm not sure the MX5 motorbike battery charger would do the job. 

So, if i took the boat on the water, using the secondary battery to start it, will running the motor charge up the flat battery?  or do i just need to suck it up, buy a new charger and extract the battery from the boat?

I think an MX5 is a 5 amp charger right? That will do it. 

You don’t have to disconnect or take out the battery to charge it. Just connect to the terminals. If that is difficult, you can even connect to the main positive and negative lead ends from the battery, wherever they go to. 

2 hours ago, Hateanchors said:

I think an MX5 is a 5 amp charger right? That will do it. 

You don’t have to disconnect or take out the battery to charge it. Just connect to the terminals. If that is difficult, you can even connect to the main positive and negative lead ends from the battery, wherever they go to. 

Would be heaps better than trickle charging it from the motor anyway..... Depends on the size of the battery to I'm guessing to, I always use the 10amp setting on mine I've heard if it's not enough doesn't clean the plates as well as they get deposits that sit on them 

Edited by Omally