Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Crabing on Tuesday 12.Caught 6 blue swimmers.3boats in same area, They had a lot more pots out than me on my own. Not many crabs at all between us, had to work for them tried 3 different locals all the same. Where are all the crabs gone???.Couple years ago would pick up 10 crabs in a few hours. Read a story about lake prawns disappearing any thoughts. Prawns down crabs down or is it just a cycle.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mowie1 said:

Crabing on Tuesday 12.Caught 6 blue swimmers.3boats in same area, They had a lot more pots out than me on my own. Not many crabs at all between us, had to work for them tried 3 different locals all the same. Where are all the crabs gone???.Couple years ago would pick up 10 crabs in a few hours. Read a story about lake prawns disappearing any thoughts. Prawns down crabs down or is it just a cycle.  

I'm surprised the place isn't fished out all together with the amount of imbeciles fishing it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I'm surprised the place isn't fished out all together with the amount of imbeciles fishing it.

Yeah, I only moved to the area recently, so not familiar with the history, but for such a promising looking body of water it's not very productive. I've got two keepers - a bream and a flattie - from about ten shore-based attempts. Shitloads of ullet aroud at the moment, so this weekend I'm just gonna take bread with me and target them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The mouth needs to be opened right up again and let this once great body of water flush constantly with the tides and then the fishing may one day come back. 

Just my opinion

Edited by shakey55
Link to post
Share on other sites

The lake has been open for the last 10 years.  It flushes with the tide every day.  The prawning in there is now pretty hit and miss compared to past years and the crabs seem to have come on a little later in the last few years.  The fishing is great but you need the right bait to be successful.  Nippers and poddy mullet are a must if you want to get fish.  We get a feed every time but as I said its all about the bait.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed as well a huge drop in crabs over the last couple years, also the different types of species of fish through the channel. It could be the overfishing with the amount people that camp and fish there along the side of the lake or the increase in commercial licenses a couple years back

It would be good to have it opened like in the old days to allow more water to flow through as well further investigation on what is really causing the drop in numbers. The picture in the article shows the deterioration from 2008 to 2016... also might provide some answers to why it might be happening

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-08-21/the-mystery-of-lake-illawarras-missing-prawns/8821300

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing the article.

Every now and again we get local businesses and others calling for a permanent breakwall to be put in place at the mouth of Tuggerah Lakes. It's relentless. Lake Illawarra's experience shows just how dangerous it can be to interfere with natural systems.

KB

Edited by Koalaboi
Link to post
Share on other sites

The before and after photo really says it all I think.  From brown stagnant water to clear blue water.  The lake used to smell......bad.  I think a PM visited one time and said "it pongs".  People have been bagging out on crabs this week in around an hour and crab numbers the last few years have been great.  Prawning as I said before is not the same but the number of fish and the variety of species in the lake is at an all time high.  I live right on the lake and its looking (and smelling) better than ever.....I bagged out on flatties yesterday in an hour so there are plenty of keepers there too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/12/2017 at 6:31 AM, shakey55 said:

The mouth needs to be opened right up again and let this once great body of water flush constantly with the tides and then the fishing may one day come back. 

Just my opinion

I to meant open like it used to be in the old days. 

 

When I was a teenager (a bloody long time ago) I used paddle on my surfboard across the opening from the camping ground.  The water used to race in and out and it was a long way across.  

Edited by shakey55
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MannY said:

I've noticed as well a huge drop in crabs over the last couple years, also the different types of species of fish through the channel. It could be the overfishing with the amount people that camp and fish there along the side of the lake or the increase in commercial licenses a couple years back

It would be good to have it opened like in the old days to allow more water to flow through as well further investigation on what is really causing the drop in numbers. The picture in the article shows the deterioration from 2008 to 2016... also might provide some answers to why it might be happening

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-08-21/the-mystery-of-lake-illawarras-missing-prawns/8821300

Cheers

Interesting article.

 

I never catch anything in the lake.

 

Cheers

Rah

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lungfai76 said:

Try a different part of the lake. 

Any pointers here? I usually fish the north side of the channel, seaward of the bridge. Either the jetties or the rockwall or the sand flats/channel further east. Yet to try in the lake itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lungfai76 said:

Try a different part of the lake. 

I think I have tried everywhere except along the berkley side for not even a bite. Even Macquarie rivulet, a bird poo covered, rotting board walk near lake heights (I think), OAK flats, dapto at the power station, kanahooka and all over wingdang. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think land based can be tough.  lots of Gar and bream get caught from bonaroo point jetty.  Boat or Kayak in the main lake are pretty productive for me anyway.  I usually fish anywhere on the eastern fringe of the lake along the drop off from primbee to Mt warrigal depending on wind and tide.  If you can get poddy's or nippers thats great, if not I've been going well on the plastics.  Forget about store bought bait if you want to have any luck in the lake though, thats just from my experiance anyway.  You end up getting all the little pickers or nothing at all.  There have been a heap of occys in the crab traps around the drop off too lately and the crabs have been firing.  There was also a school of mullet a few days ago that stretched from windang all the way to dapto!   Plenty there but as I said I think land based can be tough due to the speed of the current in the channel.  If I was land based I would try from the first groyne on the windang side.  I sounded it the other day and its 11m with plenty of bait around it.  deepest part of the lake by far!!

Edited by Dr Funk
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dr Funk said:

I think land based can be tough.  lots of Gar and bream get caught from bonaroo point jetty.  Boat or Kayak in the main lake are pretty productive for me anyway.  I usually fish anywhere on the eastern fringe of the lake along the drop off from primbee to Mt warrigal depending on wind and tide.  If you can get poddy's or nippers thats great, if not I've been going well on the plastics.  Forget about store bought bait if you want to have any luck in the lake though, thats just from my experiance anyway.  You end up getting all the little pickers or nothing at all.  There have been a heap of occys in the crab traps around the drop off too lately and the crabs have been firing.  There was also a school of mullet a few days ago that stretched from windang all the way to dapto!   Plenty there but as I said I think land based can be tough due to the speed of the current in the channel.  If I was land based I would try from the first groyne on the windang side.  I sounded it the other day and its 11m with plenty of bait around it.  deepest part of the lake by far!!

Great info there Dr Funk. I'll have to get the yak out there and give it a go. Hopefully will have some time over the xmas break.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rah said:

Great info there Dr Funk. I'll have to get the yak out there and give it a go. Hopefully will have some time over the xmas break.

Didn't think you were land based Rah, always pictured you on a Yak ?

On the topic of crabs, is it legal to hunt them with a yak and net?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lungfai76 said:

Didn't think you were land based Rah, always pictured you on a Yak ?

On the topic of crabs, is it legal to hunt them with a yak and net?

Pretty sure you can catch them in any manner that doesn't involve piercing the shell. Snorkeling with a pair of welding gloves on and just picking them up was my favourite as a kiddie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lungfai76 said:

Didn't think you were land based Rah, always pictured you on a Yak ?

On the topic of crabs, is it legal to hunt them with a yak and net?

Usually just for bass as i struggle to get the yak on and off the car. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Googles and snorkel a tea towel wrapped and tape around forearm,was my best way to catch a quick feed down Windang 

paddle out to the drop off on the last on the run in tide than float back to the boat ramp with the run out tide hanging on to the yack.

grab them face first and than they grab you on the forearm, we'll most of the time anyway, this was also the best way to target the big males 

good fun 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to hunt them with a spotty on a tinny. Scoop up 20 or so, sort through them, put back under sizes and females with eggs and away I go again.

Petrol too expensive nowadays so gonna try with the hobie ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      67,001
    • Total Posts
      542,501
×
×
  • Create New...