Never Bring A Knife to a Gunfight

drc2076

Needed a pick me up this afternoon so decided to visit a spot that a mate had scoped out a while back and recommended unreservedly. I knew it was a serious bush walk in so decided to pack as light as possible and carry only as much as I’d be comfortable carrying back out again. So it was my light bream outfit and half a pack of salted pillies. Mental note, also bring water next time.

Arrived just after 3pm and with the exception of a couple of curious bush walkers had the place to myself. Bliss.

12lb braid and leader, unweighted pillie cube onto a number 4 long shank bait holder hook and wait. As always, the first fish on the scene were baby snapper. Then came the baby bream. And then all hell broke loose. Over the next 30 minutes landed 4 bream all over 30cm and had another bigger one bust me off around an oyster encrusted pylon. It was a catch and release day for me so all went back into the drink.

After 5pm things had quietened down. The baby snapper were back, along with baby tailor and a few yakkas into the bargain. By 6pm I was thinking about calling it a day, and a good day at that. And then the big boys arrived. Something picked up the pillie and took off like a bat out of hell. Managed to get it close to the jetty and saw it was a rat king. Once near the jetty the bastard took off straight under it and I was doomed. Ran around a pylon and the line parted. Holy crap! First time ever for me hooking a king.

Round about now bait starting busting up about 20 metres in front of me. Threw my trusty pillie as close as I could get it. Hit! Another powerful run. Got the fish close again. This time a good size bonito. Under the damn jetty again and the inevitable. I was starting to come to the conclusion that my outfit just didn’t have the horsepower to get these buggers under control. It was starting to get dark, but undaunted I decided to stick with it until I’d exhausted my rapidly diminishing pillie supply. And you wouldn’t believe it, another big run. Another rat king. Another bust off. Well, by now it was pretty clear I’d brought a knife to a gun fight.

By 7:30 the pillies were finished. Packed it up and the long hike out began. A fantastic afternoon. I’ll be returning soon with some heavier artillery for the big boys. Tight lines.

A232A7CD-CBA5-4F5F-96E0-83FCF845F1E9.jpeg

Edited by drc2076

6 hours ago, Hooked-Up said:

Lol good read mate, those kings will hit whatever structure they see, 99/100 times.

2 rods next time hey lol take the biggest gun you have fishing off a wharf for kings lol.

strange spot, wasnt expecting to see a wharf after a looong hike in.

Sydney really is the most amazing estuary system. It’s huge! Urban sprawl and massive tracts of bushland side by side. So much to explore if you have the time and inclination. This spot was a product of deductive reasoning, google earth and good old fashioned shoe leather.