New fishing setup for lure fishing!!

Kaneo

Hi raiders,

My girlfriend bought me a new fishing rod setup for lure fishing today, Only catch is I have to wait for Christmas to have it :(

I went with a 7’ 2 piece Sahara graphite 702sp 2-5kg rating. (Originally I was going to go 2-4kg but that was the one piece rod it’s a bit easier having the two piece for transporting)

Shimano Sedona reel 2500

Shimano 6lb braid 

Black magic fluro carbon 8lb leader

Will be mainly fishing Bass, Flathead & Bream

4FCEFB07-4593-415A-A55A-BC8D978B75C5.jpeg

I prefer a two piece rod as well, easier to transport in the car and when in the boat I can put the rods under the floor in the ski locker so they don't get broken or worse, fall out of the rod holder and loose a brand new rod / reel combo :(

Edited by jeffb5.8

Great setup - hope you have lots of fun with it! I've got two Sedonas and really enjoy them - very smooth and, most importantly, hardy. They get hammered in the kayak and haven't ever seemed to be affected. 

Two piece is the way forward - nice one :) 

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest123456789

How’s the reel going @Kaneo? I just bought the Sedona 2500. Had just 5 mins to make a purchase and this was the best of limited options at the local tackle store.

A big hole at the bottom of the gear housing cover, can’t see its use other than to let sand and salt into the bearings. I plugged it up with clear sikaflex.

Then when I added the grease and replaced the handle cover and screwed it back in all the grease came through small holes. Again whats the point of these holes other than to act as a vector for salt and sea water!! Hopefully the slab of grease will keep it out

Then checked the drag washer, one crappy white felt washer!!! I hate those things. I fished a plastic coffee cup lid out of the bin and cut a new washer and greased it up - works a treat.

I have a few Sedona's and my maintenance is very bad in that I do little only fault I have found is if starting a very slow retrieve its sort of locked anti reverse I guess but only with very slow starts. Other than that bullet proof so far.

On 10/03/2018 at 5:07 PM, flatheadluke said:

How’s the reel going @Kaneo? I just bought the Sedona 2500. Had just 5 mins to make a purchase and this was the best of limited options at the local tackle store.

A big hole at the bottom of the gear housing cover, can’t see its use other than to let sand and salt into the bearings. I plugged it up with clear sikaflex.

Then when I added the grease and replaced the handle cover and screwed it back in all the grease came through small holes. Again whats the point of these holes other than to act as a vector for salt and sea water!! Hopefully the slab of grease will keep it out

Then checked the drag washer, one crappy white felt washer!!! I hate those things. I fished a plastic coffee cup lid out of the bin and cut a new washer and greased it up - works a treat.

Setup is going good mate , haven’t really caught anything big at all on it only a few small bass but still enjoying it. I’m still chasing my flathead on a soft plastic but no luck there. Cheers kaneo