Downrigger Bombs

Sigma

Hello Raiders,

Not sure if this is in the right section Mods, but thought that it has to do with downriggers, therefore with boating.

My question to all my fellow Raiders is the following....

As I have just installed my downrigger (Scotty 1080), does anyone know where I can buy 8 or 10lb downrigger bombs that aren't going to cost an arm and a leg?

My local tackle store wants $50 for a 10lb bomb (which I think is a bit pricey for a piece of lead), although I did find 10lb bombs on Ebay for about $30-35 but as they are in Qld, the postage brings it back up to $50-$55 :(

Obviously they can be picked up for $30-$35 but I don't know where I could find one here in Sydney/Liverpool area. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, another alternative, has anyone made their own downrigger bomb and if so, what did you use as a mould?

This one could be up your ally Fab? :D

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Sigma

I make my own downrigger bombs, Pancake bombs, they are like a flat Discus type lead weight with a aluminium tail which is very handy for guiding the bomb slightly out and away from the engine, which eliminates the possibility of the braid getting tangled up in the motor.

I made my own moulds from Zinc, not an easy task, so the bombs are worth a bit more than the round cricket ball types, they weight from 4 1/2 lb to around 8 lb. No photos as I have trouble loading photos here, but you could look up Pancake downrigger bombs on ytube or somewhere on the net.

I could show you how to make them if you like.

Frank