Installing Rod Holders

Sigma

Hi Raiders,

Wanted to get some advice from fellow Raiders who have installed rod holders on their boat before I attempt my install.

I purchased 4x S/Steel flush mounted rod holders with a 30degree angle to install on my Quintrex ally.

Rod Holder tubes are 50mm in diameter but as they are angled, I'm suspecting that the holes that need to be drilled, should be larger?

Anyone have any idea if I should drill slightly bigger holes and if so, what diameter should I drill for a 50mm tube?

Cheers

Dave

I would start with a 50mm Hole and then slow make it into an oval shape with a round file checking fitting regularly as you go  

I dont know a lot about metals, but I’m sure I read something once about mixing S/S with Aluminium - someone else may know better. 

Check these out

https://www.whitworths.com.au/deck-tech-aluminium-30-rod-holder

13 minutes ago, shakey55 said:

I would start with a 50mm Hole and then slow make it into an oval shape with a round file checking fitting regularly as you go  

I dont know a lot about metals, but I’m sure I read something once about mixing S/S with Aluminium - someone else may know better. 

Check these out

2nd that bout the hole.... They usually come with a rubber like gasket... Use em other wise they do react specially when salt water is added to the mix.. Won't happen overnight but it will happen 

Edited by Omally

22 minutes ago, shakey55 said:

Check these out

Hi Shakey,

Thanks for the reply.

Someone told me that a 2 1/2 inch (63mm) holesaw should do the trick as it will give you "enough play" to position it how you want it

I also saw a youtube clip by an american dude who showed how to install a rod holder and he also used a 63mm holesaw but it was on a kayak. I just wanted to get some feedback from people who have done it as I have 4 rod holders and I don't want to sit there all day filing away. I'm just worried that the 63mm might be too big and want to get advice first....because if you cut it and it's too big, your stuffed then.

As far as the aluminium and stainless steel thing, I know what you mean but the rod holders has a round rubber flange that separates the two metals away from each other and I will be adding sika flex (marine grade) to seal it further so that no water gets under the flange.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Sigma

7 minutes ago, Omally said:

2nd that bout the hole.... They usually come with a rubber like gasket... Use em other wise they do react specially when salt water is added to the mix.. Won't happen overnight but it will happen 

Thanks OMally.

I know about the two different metals thing and I do have the stuff in a tube if it needs it.

I used a number of stainless steel nuts and bolts about 5yrs ago and put this stuff on and it's perfect.

Cheers

Dave

Hello fellow Raiders again,

Just thought I would put this out there to all who might want to install rod holders on their Ally boat.

As I was waiting for someone to help out and give some advice, I thought to myself, how can I find out if the 63mm hole is too big. So, I thought, I need to find something that is the same thickness as the boat 4-5mm.

It clicked, :1Lighten:.......a piece of cardboard should do the trick :D

So, got some cardboard and drilled the hole. Inserted the angled rod holder aaaaaannd................ it's PERFECT.

Plenty of play to turn it around how you want it and the three screw holes are not exposed to the big hole. :1clap:

There you go my fellow Raiders..answered my own question and shared it with anyone who might need this info in the future.

I knew there was a smarter me somewhere there..... :mfr_lol: :):D

Cheers

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen people make the mistake of attaching rod holders on tinnies with rivets and seen the result of ripping them off the boat when a big fish hits with a heavy drag setting.   Attach holders with bolt and locking nut and using largest washer that will fit under nut.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, campr said:

I have seen people make the mistake of attaching rod holders on tinnies with rivets and seen the result of ripping them off the boat when a big fish hits with a heavy drag setting.   Attach holders with bolt and locking nut and using largest washer that will fit under nut.

Hi campr,

I know what you mean about pop rivets. The boat had the original plastic holders that were pop riveted in by the manufacturer Quintrex.

I have now installed the stainless steel rod holders and bolted them down with 316 grade s/s bolts and nylon lock nuts

as shown here...

5a573988afaa1_RodHolder1.thumb.jpg.344abfbca54cea044df493d31bdf26c2.jpg

Also, I have drilled another hole towards the stern of the boat and installed another rod holder for my downrigger. I have re-strengthened it with a piece of 20mm chopping board underneath too. All nice and solid now... :thumbup:

All I now need is a nice day to go out and test the new downrigger....:D

5a573bc824a5f_Downrigger1.thumb.jpg.0b40c61291692f820c262dd56f891f0c.jpg

5a573bede5555_Downrigger2.thumb.jpg.bff0cf29efb741aedbfa30cce74e5710.jpg

40 minutes ago, Sigma said:

I know what you mean about pop rivets. The boat had the original plastic holders that were pop riveted in by the manufacturer Quintrex.

My tinny has those and I don't have any dramas with them as I don't catch any fish to test them.?

3 hours ago, campr said:

Yeah,that's why I bought and installed these strong rod holders and bolted them to my side rails to prevent my waterlogged prawn and running sinker rig ripping them off after waiting an hour with no bites.They haven't budged yet.

image.jpg