Sign in to follow this  
geshy

Noosa today

Recommended Posts

Me and my brother decided to try a spot in noosa and as soon as we got there we could see garfish getting smashed of the surface so we threw the cast net and got bout 15 gar so started using them live my first livie got smashed by this trevally can any confirm its a little gt? Then second livie ended up being smashed by this estuary cod which took me around a pilon full of oysters lucky the leader didn’t snap and he come out then lastly got this little mangrove jack then things went abit quite 

CD7453A3-582A-4C49-80CE-6A50B9C10885.jpeg

0369E955-9CF4-4EE4-AA62-365538DBA025.jpeg

356C49D7-869E-4E2D-88B6-F4CDDAADA4EC.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great catch guys..looks like a gt..luv them jacks...garries are gun baits..rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

great catch guys..looks like a gt..luv them jacks...garries are gun baits..rick

Thanks mate they sure are not 1 we’re in the water longer then a minute without being smashed or bite marks out of it haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good work Geshy, 3 different species of fish in 3 casts.

The Cod is a Estuary/ Goldspotted Cod and the Trevally, I recon is a GT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Good work Geshy, 3 different species of fish in 3 casts.

The Cod is a Estuary/ Goldspotted Cod and the Trevally, I recon is a GT.

Thanks mate yeah was unreal haha. Thanks for the ids mate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mate I must have been drinking, the Cod is a Blackspotted / Malabar Cod. (Common names vary)

I'll go and give myself a uppercut.

And the Jack is a Jack, no denying that. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Mate I must have been drinking, the Cod is a Blackspotted / Malabar Cod. (Common names vary)

I'll go and give myself a uppercut.

And the Jack is a Jack, no denying that. :D

Oh so it isn’t a estuary COD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Oh so it isn’t a estuary COD?

That is correct mate.

Now this is where it gets confusing. Queensland Government calls this one and the Goldspotted a "Estuary Cod"

Its a Malabar Grouper/ Blackspotted Rockcod. So is it a Grouper or a Rockcod, buggered if I know but at the end of the day its a "Epinephelus malabarricus".

Bloody common names.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

That is correct mate.

Now this is where it gets confusing. Queensland Government calls this one and the Goldspotted a "Estuary Cod"

Its a Malabar Grouper/ Blackspotted Rockcod. So is it a Grouper or a Rockcod, buggered if I know but at the end of the day its a "Epinephelus malabarricus".

Bloody common names.

Haha that’s all to confusing to me ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a black trevally to me-we got loads on fly at the Rowley Shoals some years ago.A small GT is predominately silver.

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mgj said:

Looks like a black trevally to me-we got loads on fly at the Rowley Shoals some years ago.A small GT is predominately silver.

Mark

Was silver mate just got abit of dirt on it haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely a black trevally-dirt doesn’t do 

that.Everything on that fish is

black,including the fins.It is not a

‘Papuan’ Trevally,which is basically a

GT ie silver coloured with a black hue in 

parts of it’s flanks.Your fish is totally black.

Edited by mgj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not familiar with fishing up north but it does look like a GT, the tail and overall shape matches, however all the coloration is different and the eye is very large, looking like a greater trevally caranx sexfasciatus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      65,451
    • Total Posts
      525,657