Wheel bearings and hubs

Omally

OK guys got my hubs off bearings seem OK with no play so I'll keep em as spares to chuck in the truck... The brake pads are rat st%t one of the the actual brake pad bit fell off lol ummm the hubs have surface rust is it OK to clean them up with a wire brush?  Umm the small bearing had hrb lm 12749 and the large one  l68149 and China written on it lol... Now to locate brake pads ?

Edited by Omally

Just now, Omally said:

Hi guys so I got my new timken bearings they are the same part number as my old ones... I think I know the answer to this but do you have to change the cups to if they are still good and unmarked? 

Yes

Just saw your post.For future reference an easy way to check the  diameter of something round is with a G clamp,simply do it up snug around the axle  in your case and slid it off  then measure the distance between it's  jaws with a tape measure/rule.If keeping your old bearings as spares don't mix bearings and races from either side.Bearings and races wear with each other and must be kept as a unit.

29 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Just saw your post.For future reference an easy way to check the  diameter of something round is with a G clamp,simply do it up snug around the axle  in your case and slid it off  then measure the distance between it's  jaws with a tape measure/rule.If keeping your old bearings as spares don't mix bearings and races from either side.Bearings and races wear with each other and must be kept as a unit.

Yep awesome thanks heaps mate I just finished didn't take long at all... I ended up changing the races to luckily lol... Happy as 

• Like 1

So im going to throw my 10 years of fitting trade experience here in regards to bearings, to be honest i think its a bit of a myth. I have never heard of people naming specific brand names to do with bearings unless its for incredibly expensive and precise pieces of equipment, im talking about stuff worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.If you look after your bearings strip, clean inspect and re-pack them on a yearly basis i cant see why they would ever cause you issues. A bearing that has begun to fail ie loosing chrome of its cup etc will run for ages with good lube before it fails completely but hey if paying a bit extra for bearings gives you a bit of extra piece of mind to do with your trailer why the hell not, just my 2 cents though.

And yes always change the cup with the bearing, even if you cant see a issue bearing will cause some wear etc so old bearing on new cups could cause all sorts of problems.

Glad you got it all sorted out though mate

2 hours ago, rozza_b said:

So im going to throw my 10 years of fitting trade experience here in regards to bearings, to be honest i think its a bit of a myth. I have never heard of people naming specific brand names to do with bearings unless its for incredibly expensive and precise pieces of equipment, im talking about stuff worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.If you look after your bearings strip, clean inspect and re-pack them on a yearly basis i cant see why they would ever cause you issues. A bearing that has begun to fail ie loosing chrome of its cup etc will run for ages with good lube before it fails completely but hey if paying a bit extra for bearings gives you a bit of extra piece of mind to do with your trailer why the hell not, just my 2 cents though.

And yes always change the cup with the bearing, even if you cant see a issue bearing will cause some wear etc so old bearing on new cups could cause all sorts of problems.

Glad you got it all sorted out though mate

Awesome yeah thanks heaps guys 

Yeah but i can't imagine them using so much like because they are not like constantly pressed up against the hub.... Did your hubs rust or? Thinking about disconnecting the brakes as they are only used when stationary never really liked em tell ya the truth?

1 minute ago, Omally said:

Yeah but i can't imagine them using so much like because they are not like constantly pressed up against the hub.... Did your hubs rust or? Thinking about disconnecting the brakes as they are only used when stationary never really liked em tell ya the truth?

Post pic of your trailer hitch

2 hours ago, Omally said:

The brakes if they are adjusted correctly work every single time you apply the foot brake in your car and are extremely helpful at slowing your rig when going down grades and holding your boat when stationary.You have a braked trailer and braked trailers with disconnected brakes are illegal.Regular maintenance on the brakes is the key.

• Thanks 1

Arr OK I thought it was only for when it was stationary because they weren't electric OK... Seems like I better be going and get new hubs then..

Thanks guys 

First trailer I've had like this so am I spose to be towing with that flappy bit up and when reversing put it down and how does it brake when driving?.. And what's the best way to adjust the brakes so they just don't lock up... Makes sense now I was wondering if it was only for the handbrake how would the rotors stay clean... I get it now 

Edited by Omally

They are called mechanical over-ride brakes. The tow ball coupling is on a spring loaded piston. When you apply the car brakes...the trailer keeps pushing forward toward the car, the piston is pushed in and drives levers that pull on cables that activate the callipers to apply  brake pressure. When the trailer has slowed down or you stop the spring pushes the piston out and releases the brakes.

The flappy bit stops the piston being pushed back when you reverse - hence stops the brakes being applied.

My advice....lubricate everything. Spray inside the tow ball coupling, inside the piston etc... keep that well oiled. Then spray each of your brake callipers, all the joints and shafts. Brakes should move freely to engage and disengage. Problems arise when they get stuck.  You can spray the metal backing of your brake pads to keep them rust free... BUT do not spray the brake pad material as it will break down and fall apart.

re: Adjusting the brakes. Once you have freed up all the rusty bits and have them moving freely, you will be able to see how much movement you have in the piston  and calliper levers. Adjust the cable length so that the calliper levers are disengaged when piston is out (normal driving mode) and engaged when the piston is pushed back. I have not run mechanical over-ride brakes since 2001 so apologies I have forgotten the rule of thumb as to how far your piston pushes back - perhaps you can google the manufacturer for their recommended settings. BTW, once you have it all set up, remember to retighten the cables after a few trips as new cables will have some initial stretch.

Cheers

Zoran

PS - I have changed brake pads 3 times in 16 years... so if adjusted correctly and well maintained then you will get lots of life out of them.

PPS - I find it easiest to do the lubrication maintenance just after I have launched the boat and parked the trailer. It takes less then 2min to run around the trailer with a can of INOX, LANOX or Silicon Spray and hit all the moving calliper parts. If you do your trailer springs at the same time they will last a loooooong time too...(eg. I am running original springs from 2001 trailer build). 

Welcome to boat trailers!

Awesome mate yeah everything is cleaned and lubricated moving freely... Just gotta get new hubs and I'm golden and adjust the brakes properly... Only thing I was looking at ebay seen a good set of galvanised ones but a review said they are out of balance wouldn't they all be like that or could a tyre shop balance em or is it just that guy lol 

5 hours ago, Omally said:

Awesome mate yeah everything is cleaned and lubricated moving freely... Just gotta get new hubs and I'm golden and adjust the brakes properly... Only thing I was looking at ebay seen a good set of galvanised ones but a review said they are out of balance wouldn't they all be like that or could a tyre shop balance em or is it just that guy lol 

Zoran gave you some valuable info there.Iv'e bought galvanised hubs a few times over the years for several applications and non were out of balance.What is wrong with yours?Hubs have a minimum disc thickness stamped on them and must be replaced when this figure is reached.If your running standard steel hubs and they are rusty I'd Ricard them and buy galvanised.If they're not too rusty and have plenty of disk thickness left you could leave them in services bit more.

Nah really good info learning fast I got it now and tracked down manufactures adjusting etc... Yeah mine weren't galvanised and they are rat sh*t rusted  so I'm gonna get some trojan galvanised ones least they have some sort of branding.. Yeah I've never heard of them being unbalanced either but just thought I'd ask... All good guys gonna head down tomorrow and get em.. I'll let yas know how it goes.... Cheers....

Edited by Omally

Your hubs will always have some rust, if it’s thick scaly rust then a change might be needed, if it’s just surface rust then a quick clean will be fine, once you use the brakes while towing the pads will clean the disc in about 5secs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let yous guys know my new hubs arrived all back together and working like it should and braking like it should... And for the brake settings it's 8 mm from the activation plate to the back of the bolt on the hitch if it's a al-ko 50 mm override hitch with leaf springs... Cheers thanks heaps 

Edited by Omally