Leave the chain attached

JonD

A bad start for this poor boater on the ramp today. Took off the straps and undid the shackle then watched his pride and joy slide down the ramp. At least he kept his tires dry.

IMG_0768.JPG

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I keep the chain shackled in addition to keeping the strap hook in the bow D-ring. Double insurance :unsure:. I used to just keep the strap hook on but I've been told that this isn't good enough. It really doesn't take long to release the chain shackle and the hook once ready to roll off the trailer.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, peterbylsma said:

I keep the chain shackled in addition to keeping the strap hook in the bow D-ring. Double insurance :unsure:. I used to just keep the strap hook on but I've been told that this isn't good enough. It really doesn't take long to release the chain shackle and the hook once ready to roll off the trailer.

2nd that waiting another minute or 2 to detach isn't worth that hey... Poor guy or girl that's devastating specially a glass boat ouch

• Like 1

Oh Man ! .... I saw that same thing at Parsley Bay ramp several years ago - from memory it was a brand new white Haines Signature - the wife and daughter were in the boat when it was launched 2m short of the water. 

What was worse than the initial bang and crunch sound ?  The sound of the hull being winched back up onto the trailer dragged across the ramp concrete corrugations ----  !!!!!

Feel sorry for them. Just take the extra few seconds and undo the hitches when the stern is in the water.

Cheers 

Zoran

• Like 1

sadly ive seen the same a dozen times..actually I was sitting at boat harbor boat ramp at lake mac yesterday with a esky of beer watching all the muppets trying to launch an retrieve...great afternoons entertainment.hahaha...putting a boat in or out is a simple process but its funny watching morons attempting it....rick

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

sadly ive seen the same a dozen times..actually I was sitting at boat harbor boat ramp at lake mac yesterday with a esky of beer watching all the muppets trying to launch an retrieve...great afternoons entertainment.hahaha...putting a boat in or out is a simple process but its funny watching morons attempting it....rick

Much better than sitting on the lounge watching "Days of our lives" eh Rick? Did u finish the esky? bn

Have seen it all different ramps.  Will not fish between Christmas - New year.  The things you see at boat ramps make you wonder. Cars in the drink, boats left on ramp,  boats with no bungs, engine not starting(fuel ? old, flat battery),reversing a trailer, boat going to fast around ramp(bang into wharf & each other), people not waiting there turn, once or twice a year boaters, trying to drive boat on to trailers( that is a whole subject). ALL you need is a system you do every time you go out most can be done at home. Start motor, put bungs in (boat don't sink on dry land), find a quiet ramp practice launch & retrieve. Watch listen and learn. You will at least get on the water. Then it is up to the god of fishing how you go. Please take it easy think before you act stay safe BEST wishes.:D

• Like 1

Why anyone would take the safety chain or winchstrap off before the boat is in place and ready to launch is beyond me.How much time if any do you save?I've had people mumble under their breath "Oh he leaves the safety chain on that little tinny "And I think to myself if this "little tinny"prematurely launches itself your going to wait a while longer to retrieve your boat you halfwit.I can tell you now if I take my safety chain and winch strap  off even on a slight graded ramp my "little tinny" will be lying on the ramp with no water under it due to the way I have my trailer set up and having rollers that actually roll.

Chain/winch strap on before and after retrieval for me every time.

I recommend safety chain and winchstrap always on on any vessel regardless of size.Hopefull he's learnt with that expensive mistake.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was fishing near a boat ramp yesterday.  (Sorry if you are on here but you provided us with good entertainment)  A largish 6meter + boat on a dual axle trailer (looked reasonably new) was backing in and was trying to jerk the boat off the trailer.   The trailer popped off the ball on the tow vehicle and lucky for them the safety chains kept it attached to the 4wd.    I was interesting to see them having to back the trailer completely under to get the boat to float off when the draw bar was close to dragging the ground.   They did get it launched eventually.  

Bear

• Like 1

Far out that sucks cant believe people do it to save like 10 seconds....

Just to throw something a bit extra in here, the only reason i can ever think of taking the safety chain off is if you have one of those boat release catches (which im thinking of fitting to my boat so i dont have to hang over the front of the thing everytime i launch/retrieve on my own ) has anyone every heard of one of the failing ?? 

I was at my local ramp the other day.  Bloke with a similar size boat and trailer rocked up and stopped the trailer before the wheels hit the water.  Didnt think much of it thought maybe he forgot to put the bung in.  As I was backing my boat in i heard and almighty splash and looked over and his boat had rolled off the rollers and straight into the water.  not sure if it hit the bottom or not but it must have been close.  We had to help the poor bloke pull his boat around as the wind was blowing his stern away from the pontoon.  He was on his own and im guessing he took off his winch cable a bit too early!!!

I was launching at a ramp a couple of months ago, it was an extraordinary low / neap tide so the ramp was slippery as where my vehicle was stopped and the trailer wasnt sitting very deep in the water (I have a skid trailer). When I went to reverse the boat off the trailer, it pulled my 2 tonne vehicle down the ramp into the water!  Bloody lucky it stopped sliding back just as the water got to the top of the rear wheel arch and I was able to jump in and drive back up. But geeez my heart nearly popped out of my chest. A couple of ‘backn forths’ eventually got the boat off the trailer. First time its ever happened to me and I’m no complete amatuer! Sh1t does happen.

As for the original post, it looks like that happened at low tide. With any luck the skipper could’ve hopefully just been able to wait a few hours and floated it off. Pity about blocking the ramp though!

Edited by Smasher

Sh%t does happen even to the most seasoned... Pretty bad waiting at a ramp waiting for people to stuff up or snap winch post bolts or acts of nature like a slimy boat ramp  to ruin their pride and joy and take pleasure in it .... Be their unlucky day if it happened to me... Instead of the camera should of helped  em 

Edited by Omally