Leave the chain attached

JonD

23 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

they have to be sick in the head to do that s#!t..thats endangering lives in a bad way..i would love to sit at a ramp and catch them......hope you didn't get any damage jon...rick

Yes it dented in the back door and gouged the bumper. One local returned to the ramp and caught a group of 16-18 yr old indigenous boys doing it to his trailer, they certainly sorted the problem without needing any police. 

44 minutes ago, Omally said:

Think I'll be changing me r clip for a Lil pad lock... That's bad a 

Yes I now use a trailer coupler lock on mine but I still can't help but check every time I come in.

We were out in my wife's little boat on New Years day. After the wind got up, we came back in and while pulling it out

the ratchet choose to give way, and the little boat slipped of the back on the ramp. It didn't hit the ground, I guess because it is so

light, but this was the one time my wife didn't tie the boat on at the same time, as there were a few people queue up to use the ramp.

From what I can see, the ratchet fell all the way through the gears as the outside cir-clip was missing, giving it just enough room to fail.

Swapped for another, an a bit of trailer maintenance performed and we are all good to go. I'm just happy it wasn't my FG boat!

8 hours ago, JonD said:

While on the ramp discussion, I advise everyone to check their tow ball hitch after a day on the water. Kids at several ramps have been lifting to tow ball clip so that the trailers pop off often as the boats are being driven onto the trailers. I had it done to mine and the boat came off as I drove up the road, the chains held it ok but the trailer smashed into the back of my 4x4 before getting wedged under the bumper.

Two days ago a semi travelling south stopped in town as the driver had lunch at a local cafe. Less than 1km from where he had been stopped his trailer came off rolling down a bank, this wasn't a little truck but a full sized semi and it turned out grown up kids had been messing with his hitch system. 

I would advise to run your eye over the trailer in general before retrieval checking things like lights,rollers,winch,tyres,wheels etc as these things have been tampered or stolen in the past.I give the trailer a hard wiggle side to side watching the wheel nuts for looseness too as idiots have loosened them on boaties too.Whole thing takes less than a minute and is mostly visual.

Better safe than sorry.

Those kids parents have a lot to answer for.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, antonywardle said:

We were out in my wife's little boat on New Years day. After the wind got up, we came back in and while pulling it out

the ratchet choose to give way, and the little boat slipped of the back on the ramp. It didn't hit the ground, I guess because it is so

light, but this was the one time my wife didn't tie the boat on at the same time, as there were a few people queue up to use the ramp.

From what I can see, the ratchet fell all the way through the gears as the outside cir-clip was missing, giving it just enough room to fail.

Swapped for another, an a bit of trailer maintenance performed and we are all good to go. I'm just happy it wasn't my FG boat!

Regardless if there's 1000 people waiting and your boat weighs 100kg,leave the winch strap and safety chain on until ready to launch after backing up to the waters edge and put both back on before pulling up the ramp to head home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this on facebook....what is going on with people launching their boat.

I also saw another one on facebook last week where the NSW FIisheries lost their boat off the trailer. Someone mentioned that it happened on Parramatta Rd.....geeeez, that would have been a sight to see. Some red faces by the boys in blue, lol :074:

FB_IMG_1515845694430.jpg.4a98e0d544f3debacb14687d13e5e549.jpgFB_IMG_1515845701191.jpg.f2c129ec35f8344ac7b4f8fb7eb8588f.jpg

1 hour ago, Sigma said:

I also saw another one on facebook last week where the NSW FIisheries lost their boat off the trailer. Someone mentioned that it happened on Parramatta Rd.....geeeez, that would have been a sight to see. Some red faces by the boys in blue, lol :074:

FB_IMG_1515845694430.jpg.4a98e0d544f3debacb14687d13e5e549.jpgFB_IMG_1515845701191.jpg.f2c129ec35f8344ac7b4f8fb7eb8588f.jpg

It's funny how those same people don't park on a hill with their car and put it in neutral with the handbrake off and hop out.So they must have at least one brain cell.Im glad it's their boat/money and not mine.

7 hours ago, Sigma said:

Looks like a beaut rig - what a shame - I have my boat ramp routine and I stick to it - no short cuts !!!!

Hey just zoomed in - is that an eTec on the back ???  Wouldn't be a common theme by any chance ?

He he he - just joshing with all my eTec buddies  :risata:

cheers 

Zoran

• Haha 1