Amateur boater

Space Ace

Hi all, I've recently relocated to Ballina and am unsure on boating etiquette.Im inexperienced when it comes to boating in salt water as I'm from Vic and fish on the Murray and Lake Mulwala .My set up is basic 12' savage v bottom and 9.9 hp Johnson. Would this type of set up be ok for fishing the rivers and creeks around Ballina? , is a marine radio a requirement?, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

i

49 minutes ago, Space Ace said:

Hi all, I've recently relocated to Ballina and am unsure on boating etiquette.Im inexperienced when it comes to boating in salt water as I'm from Vic and fish on the Murray and Lake Mulwala .My set up is basic 12' savage v bottom and 9.9 hp Johnson. Would this type of set up be ok for fishing the rivers and creeks around Ballina? , is a marine radio a requirement?, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

i

Hi Space Age. As Rick says ideal for rivers and estuaries in most conditions. Your 9.9 HP is probably a fair bit too small for any strong tidal work so just bear that in mind. Obviously make sure you have all other safety gear, including an anchor and wear ur life jacket if out solo. Good luck bn

8 hours ago, Space Ace said:

Thanks.

Hey mate,

As mentioned above a radio isnt a requirement in the estuaries but there certainly isnt any harm in getting one, especially if you get into trouble near the mouth of the river and need help. As for your boat thats a perfect size for fishing the rivers and creeks around ballina so many great estuaries to fish up there, go chat to your local tackle store im sure they can point you in the right direction, i know the small wall on the south side of the river before the main breakwalls start near the entrance  hold some good jews from time to time.