Tragedy and exploration

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders 

A mixed report today, one for fishing and another as a reminder that safety always comes first. Sorry it is a little longer than i usually write up.

Did a solo trip today with the plan to explore bate bay for the first time. I didnt have too much expectations being my first time. Launched at Foreshore Boat ramp, tied on two xraps and trolled from Kurnell to Merries Reef. Managed two very tiny rat kings just off Kurnell around 40cm each, and two bonito around cape solander. All fish took a liking to the xrap xmas tree or redhead (surprise surprise) Kings went back and bonito went into the live bait tank for fresh bait.

It was now that i noticed a 6m+ Trident with three people on board (must have been a maiden voyage, not a scratch on it & looked brand new) coming right up behind me, basically 50m behind me whilst im trolling two xraps about 30 and 40m behind the boat. They hooked up on something so stopped temporarily, i noticed they didnt turn away from the cliffs and fight the fish in deeper water. This also doubles for safety as being stationary so close to the cliffs can be super dangerous. It was obvious these guys were amateurs and the skipper had little or no experience. 

The swell wasnt that bad, but there was a constant rolling swell sometimes in excess of 1.5m and the cliffs between Kurnell and Merries reef have both deep and shallow sections, so some areas were safer whilst the waves get suddenly very steep over some of the shallower sections.

5 minutes later they were on my tail again and basically right on top of my lures. I gestured to them to back off and away from my spread, only for the skipper to veer to the right (towards the cliffs), now hes literally 5-6m away from the rocks. 

I cranked up the throttle and get away, wound in my lures and called it a day on trolling as two bonito would provide more than enough bait and what was left over would be salted and kept for next time. 

Later on the day as i was heading back from bate bay i saw helicopters in the distance and marine rescue gunning out through bate bay, news is that a boat with three people onboard capsized, one dead and one seriously injured. I dont know if it was that same boat or another but i have a feeling it was that same boat i saw earlier that morning based on everything i witnessed. Its so sad.

Nonetheless the lesson is the same, be safe guys, never risk your life for a fish, study the conditions, only do what you are experienced in, study and learn what to do and what not to do. Study the topography of where your fishing beforehand and identify likely areas where waves will break or be dangerous. If your going outside for the first time, wear a life jacket. If you cant swim, wear a life jacket. Sorry for the lecture but i guess its a timely reminder for the best, but busiest and most dangerous time of the year.

Bate Bay

What a lovely part of the world, a very different feel to botany bay and sydney harbour. Very quiet and not many boats around bate bay, i could only count 4-5 boats out there today all spread at different locations . My first drift was about 200m east of Osborne Shoal, and was rewarded with 999x10(9) tiny flathead stripping all baits as soon as they hit the bottom. Eventually found one keeper. Moved further east to try 35-40m deep and tiny flathead still in abundance, but did find another keeper flatty. Pulled in a 50cm morwong which went back, followed by 6 sweep so it was time to move.

I had a theory that fish might be holding around the mouth of the hacking and bate bay,  in this area my gps showed a very steep reef/rise to 8m deep followed by a deep flat hole about 22m deep. It looked promising, so i set myself up for a drift through the "plonk hole" and was rewarded instantly with a double hookup on two solid flatties around 45cm each. Did a couple of drifts and found another two flatties and a just legal snapper. Also cought my (PB) slimy mack at about 45cm it was a horse, live bait tank for bait.

I noticed that there were 5+ boats fishing the hacking side of jibbon bommie but i suspected they were live baiting and/or looking for live bait, so didnt give that a try. Has anyone fished there before? 

Overall a successful first trip to Bate bay with 6 flatties and 1 keeper snapper. Sorry no photos today as i got home and had to wash the boat and clean all the fish alone in 35 degree heat I and completely forgot to take photos.

please keep safe guys during this summer period.

Thanks Sam

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sh#t yeah that's bad hey... Wonder if it was them hey when I was a kid my mate took me out anchored to close to the rocks we nearly capsized I just cut the anchor there was no time he wasn't happy but could of saved our lives ill always remember never to do that again..... 

Nice report mate and it's sad to hear these kinds of stories, especially around this time of year.

To say that I'm surprised, not really.

Way too many cowboys and idiots trying to show off on our waterways whether its by boat or jet ski.

Unfortunately, It happens on the roads, and it also happens on the water.

Unlike cars, boats don't have brakes and you are at the mercy of mother nature in most cases.

I'm not saying that these blokes were any of these things as it could have been a freak accident but I have seen so many morons out there trying to show off with their boats, I'm surprised that there are not more incidents.

I pray for their families and I hope the injured person pulls through.

Really sad to hear this..... :(

Great report. Sounds like you had fun. I also believe if something is not working then mixing it up - different place different rig etc. 

Regarding the safety reminder and sad news - the papers reported 6m craft and 3 onboard something like 40, 60 and 70yo washed onto rocks. So it sounds like the rig that you encountered. As you say you must do your homework especially  if you plan to do that type of trolling in close and keep one eye on the sea at all times and a skipper at the helm. So sad and so avoidable. 

Stay safe raiders!

cheers

Zoran

Thanks for all your comments fellas. Lets hope this is the last we hear of this this summer (or better yet, ever). 

Every summer i hear of at least a handful of boats that run into trouble around the headlands in botany. It begs the question of how uninformed those are who venture so close to danger with so much dangerous precedent on hand.

On 29/12/2017 at 8:34 PM, Yowie said:

The outside flatties go a bit quiet at this time of year, suspect they move to deeper and cooler water.

I find that too, around Feb-April they come in close to breed and are absolutely RAVENOUS

i guess all that, uhhh , breeding... requires alot of energy ?

Edited by GoingFishing