Broughton Mill Creek Bass

Rah

Took mum for a quick kayak fish this morning to get her, her first bass. 

It rained most of the drive to berry, but mum knows me well and knew I'd go regardless and was ready and waiting when I arrived. 

On the water about 6.15 with a light sprinkle of rain. 

Started mum off with an elcheapo surface lure that didn't sit on the surface very well so a quick switch to a popper that produced a few hits but not hook up. 

I was using a new basscarda 2, the hard body ones that looks pretty dam close to a black Prince cicada. They are prolific down there at the moment and deafening. 

Whilst giving mum all the good spots to cast I was putting in random ones behind us and got a solid hit on the 3rd cast and a decent fish on board. 

Switched mum to a different cicada like lure and some more hits followed for her but no hook up so switched so a soft shell cicada in a dark colour and a couple of casts later she was onto her first bass!!! Cheers from both of us while it pulled her into the bushes and she can't paddle back out one handed so chucks the rod under her chin to get out. A quick self release while I was pissing myself laughing. 

Shortly after I landed another solid bass that went 37cm 

And then another for mum about 17cm.

After that there was a canoe with 2 blokes making a bit of noise coming up towards us and might have spooked the fish down that end of the creek as I only landed 1 more smallish one and that was it for the morning. Back home by 8.15

Cheers

Rah

Pic of mum trying to back paddle with the rod. :)

20171230_124218.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Awesome rah! Some quality time and the big smile said it all. Congrats :) 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers Scratchie. Mum loves it and is keen to upgrade. 

14 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

nice one rah..quality time with mum beats quality fish..at least you nailed a couple  congrats..rick

Sure is Rick. Hopefully take the kids down this arvo with some worms and try a nice big hole on the other side. 

• Like 1

On 30/12/2017 at 12:48 PM, Rah said:

Screenshot_20171230-124809.jpg

Nice report Rah. btw with Bassaction net is that? I got the standard one and its not as wide as expected.

I should of gotten then kayak or bream basket. (for my yak of course)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, xerotao said:

Nice report Rah. btw with Bassaction net is that? I got the standard one and its not as wide as expected.

I should of gotten then kayak or bream basket. (for my yak of course)

Not sure mate. Got it a couple of years ago now. Happy with it though. Sometimes use it off the jetty for flatties too. 

Top report of a lovely memorable day for you and your Mum. Good thinking to put the rod under her chin so she could paddle. LOL. Still on my bucket list to catch a Bass. Actually the bucket list for fish species just seems to get longer and longer. Such is life. HNY Rah, keep the reports coming, love reading them. bn

12 hours ago, big Neil said:

Top report of a lovely memorable day for you and your Mum. Good thinking to put the rod under her chin so she could paddle. LOL. Still on my bucket list to catch a Bass. Actually the bucket list for fish species just seems to get longer and longer. Such is life. HNY Rah, keep the reports coming, love reading them. bn

Cheers Neil,

If only you would get in the yak I could put you into a few. ?

Cod is on my bucket list that also keeps growing!! 

HNY to you too. 

Cheers

Tara

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 6:00 PM, Rah said:

Cheers Neil,

If only you would get in the yak I could put you into a few. ?

Cod is on my bucket list that also keeps growing!! 

HNY to you too. 

Cheers

Tara

Haha Tara, the yak isn't a happening thing unfortunately...HOWEVER if you want to catch Murray Cod just let me know. A short trip over the mountains and I'll put you onto some. Best in the Summer when the water is up and they're on the chew. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

14 hours ago, big Neil said:

Haha Tara, the yak isn't a happening thing unfortunately...HOWEVER if you want to catch Murray Cod just let me know. A short trip over the mountains and I'll put you onto some. Best in the Summer when the water is up and they're on the chew. Cheers, bn

I'll keep that in mind Neil. :)

Just now, rickmarlin62 said:

looks like lounging round to me..aaahhh a day on the water is always a good day....may you have many more..rick

Doesn't get much better mate.