Mounting of Electric Motor

JesseA

Hi Everyone,

Was just looking for some advice on mounting a Watersnake Ambush 54lb on the bow of my Quintrex Busta 4.2m.

Firstly I assume I would have to cut the hand rail on the port side of the boat. Is there any other way of doing this without cutting the rails.

As my boat doesn't have a mounting plate for a electric motor, will I need to get one welded on? Or can I just cut the rails and mount it direct to the bow. Would there be any need to re-enforce the bow with some heavier aluminium plate. 

I will take the boat to a aluminium fabrication place to get the work done, just would like some opinions and advice/ideas of how to do it.

I will attach a picture of the bow of boat.

Thanks in advance, and happy new years.

Jesse

I seen one mounted the other day on an angle so they didn't cut the rails...apparently the base doesn't matter how its oriented it all works off the direction of the head unit...you should be able to have a mount made to go out between the existing rails...rick

Another idea don't necessarily need to weld a plate on bolts work just as good also you can get bolt on Bowrails just saves going to a rip off fab shop... And you can step back and bask in your handy work.... The quick release nylon brackets are the go get alot of vibration I reckon otherwise.. And you can chuck it in the garage while not in use. 

Edited by Omally

Guest Guest123456789

As Rick said you can mount it left on the port side bow rail. If you get a metal fabricator to cut the rail off and weld a mount plate make sure he reinforces the 2mm plate near the anchor well. You can use plywood and cut it to shape then place it underneath to then be screwed into. Try and mount it without plywood or some other reinforcing and your 20kg electric will rip straight out in swell and sink.

9 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

F8ADD95F-D243-452A-98BA-5EF8047BD9C1.jpeg

517E8033-E9A7-4582-AA93-E8DD708D3147.jpeg

Could also use some nice big stainless steel washers underneath... That's what I did bolts would snap before they pull thru... Also a strap to the floor that go's around the shaft of the leccy when cruising around  will save it to from bouncing around in swell and chop.. 

Edited by Omally

Thank you for all replies. Flatheadluke, was wondering if your plate is welded or just bolted to the bow? And what thickness the plate is? I am thinking of mounting similar to yours.

Thanks again,

Jesse

Guest Guest123456789

Bolted. 5mm.

It’s solid as a rock doesn’t move at all and been out in big swell.

I’ll add some pics. Notice the plywood. 

1D12C489-64C1-41B2-A02A-8295B53CA202.jpeg

E2A47317-5478-4032-83EE-D903470BB03C.jpeg

10DE6712-756E-4695-8D38-C08F8EA855B8.jpeg

Absolutely perfect.... Very custom noticed you kept a Lil bit of the handrail to which will come in handy.... How much did it cost? Or if you did it your self even better good job mate... 

Edited by Omally

That's a nicely done fabrication there mate.

One thing I can offer when mounting the Minn Kota is to level it with rubber washer packing on the 4 bolts. That way if the boat is level the shaft will be level. It will work most efficiently that way. 

You can't change it now, but another thing which makes it more efficient is mounting so the shaft is as close to the centre line of the boat as possible. Try pulling your boat from where you have the mount welded compared to the centre of the boat to get an idea of the extra effort needed.