Boat ramp drama

sam bros

Hi Raiders,

Just thought id share a story that happened yesterday. I was walking through Rhodes with a mate and decided to stop by the boat ramp there and watch all the people take there boats out for the first time in a year to try and get on the water on new years eve. The chaos was amazing with multiple arguments.

There was one guy who particularly stood out because he had no idea what he was doing, He had an old fibreglass half cab with a 50hp mercury engine that looked like it hadnt started in years. After about 15 mins of not being able to reverse down the ramp, I went over to help him out. I guided him down the ramp and asked a few questions. He said he had bought the boat a couple days ago and this was his first time ever reversing a trailer.  Apparently he took the boat to a mechanic the day before and they said everything was in good working condition. 

It was about 6pm and conditions were getting really windy and there was a lot of current pushing the boat. He rolled the boat off the trailer and tried to start the boat but the boat wouldnt start. At the same time the boat was being pushed down the ramp by the wind and crashed into the jetty and sort of got jammed under the walkway and the ramp itself, sort of beaching itself. I got on the boat and saw that the fuel line was half ripped and wasn't connected to the fuel tank. I sort tried to connect it as best i could and started it up for him to get it into deeper water and try to dock it on the jetty. 

I started it up after a few attempts but realised that his steering was not working so had no control of the boat. The boat had taken on a lot of water as well, I look at the bung hole and there is no bung. I asked him where the bung was and he had no idea what a bung was. By this stage i was standing in about shin deep water. The boat had to get back on the trailer ASAP. 

I started the engine again because it had cut out and drove the boat to ramp and told a few people to hold the boat there while i put the trailer in a better position to retrieve the boat. 

The wind made it very difficult to push the boat into a good position to put it on the first roller and winch it in, but after a couple attempts and a few people holding the boat we were able to winch it back on the boat. 

Honestly if we weren't there, He would of definitely lost the boat and maybe even his car because at one stage he had reversed his car so far down the trailer his entire back wheel was submerged. 

It still amazes me how people have no common sense and have done no research as to how to use a boat, yet they want to try and get on the water during the busiest time of year.

I don't know what kind of mechanic he went to but the boat was definitely not in good working condition

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Well done Sam. He's lucky you came around when you did otherwise that boat would have been on the bottom by the time he tried to start the engine.

Should have asked him if it was a Marine Mechanic or a backyard Lawn Mower mechanic?

By the sounds of it, its the latter. If a marine mechanic checked it out, he would have noticed the broken hose and no bung. 

Good onya for SAVING this goose from a really horrific outcome. Still beats me how some people lack even the most basic common sense. What was the guy thinking? Accidents can happen even when you're well prepared. This guy was definitely heading for MAJOR TROUBLE. How lucky was he that you were there? bn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blood Knot said:

Goodonya Sam for helping out - real concern here is that people like this end up hurtling out through the heads with a couple of unsuspecting friends or relos on board and really get themselves in trouble. 

Cheers Blood Knot

These are the type that sooner or later become a statistic.It doesn't take much to get in trouble out on the water if you don't have your wits about you.The only wit this guy had by the sound of it is he was a half wit.

• Haha 1

Guest Guest123456789

Good on you Sam but I fear your kind act may end up making matters worse.

The guy is clearly very reckless and now he’ll get his boat in the water again and continue being reckless. If he had of lost his boat and trailer we might have all been spared future encounters with him (likely at speed).

That said I would have helped him too.