Northern Beaches 2018

GoingFishing

Happy new year to all ???

Fished northern beaches wide today in 60 and 70m of water using some salted bonito and slimy mack caught on my last trip. Also took a bag of prawns. 

Water a nice blue but not yet "electric" and varied between 22.4 and 22.1 degrees. Drift with current and wind was perfect around 1 to 1.5 knots but picked up later around 10:30

Having studied some maps previously provided by Saltrix, i wanted to try a new spot of sandy sea bed directly adjacent to some reef/rock, specifically in deeper water as all my bottom bashing trips of late have yielded minimal results, especially on the flathead (my fav eating fish by far).

Struggled at first, first drop was alot closer to the reef than intended, resulting in 2 of the 3 rigs being lost. This was followed by a mowie, two gurnards, a sargeant baker and some undersize snapper.

Eventually hit the mark, with both dad and i bagging out on flathead, most being a decent size of 45cm or slightly larger. Havent had a good session on the flathead in a very long time now so it was good to bring home a decent feed for the family and friends.

mother in law got a couple + the mowie, neighbour also got a couple and we had the rest for late lunch today ! None left to be frozen !

Great day out on the water and a great start to the year ! 

Cheers Sam

IMG_1996.JPG

Edited by GoingFishing

21 hours ago, King chaser said:

Nice catch mate! Love finding new spots, even better when it holds your target species!

Thanks mate, definately rewarding when homework actually pays off - as most of the time it fails !! 

21 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Great start to 2018 - love them flatties. :thumbup:

cheers Zoran

Cheers mate ! When u getting out next? 

21 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Good stuff Sam! Out with the dad, bagging out on New Year’s Day! Doesn’t get better! :) 

Good luck this year mate. Hope to catch up with you at some point! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers Jeff, it was definately the best way to start the year! 

I will be planning a trip up your way soon and will make sure your on board, at this stage looking at Australia Day long weekend

20 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good work on the flatties. Mowies are a give away or release fish for me.

Cheers Yowie, i dont like them either but dad doesnt mind them, neither does the mother in law !