A month worth of fish meal-jewfish PB updated on the first day of 2018

wchh

Caught this one off Cronulla/ Wanda beach last night right on high tide. Tailor fillet was the bait. 30 lb mainline, 40 pound leader, single 4/0 suicide hook, usual setup for my beach sessions

length was 123 cm. this made my last PB of 1 meter (caught on 21/10/2017) stood for only two months

Charles

IMG_7912.JPG

IMG_7916.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys!

This fish put up a very tough fight. I had to walk along the beach with it quite a bit before I could wash it up. Took about 10 minutes Roland it. I did manage to put on my glove while I was fighting the fish so there was no injury this time! Last time I had to fight a fish this hard was when I got eagled at Mona Vale beach!

1 hour ago, Captain Spanner said:

Great fish. It looks like you have started to figure out the beach. Did you get many other bites/fish/rays last night?

Yes, I also took home a good flathead about 50cm, one tailor about 40cm. Those were caught around 7:30 pm. In addition to the three fish I took home, I caught 6 or 7 just legal (31-33cm) tailor all went back but one gut hooked fish was kept for the jewbait. Turned out this small investment did win a decent return!

1 minute ago, wchh said:

Yes, I also took home a good flathead about 50cm, one tailor about 40cm. Those were caught around 7:30 pm. In addition to the three fish I took home, I caught 6 or 7 just legal (31-33cm) tailor all went back but one gut hooked fish was kept for the jewbait. Turned out this small investment did win a decent return!

Nice one, It sounds like there was quite a bit going on in your gutter. Do you have any more trips planned this week?

7 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

nice jewie  should have nice set of jewels..rick

Hi Rick,

I harvested one pair in 2010 and used in my profile photo. I did not look for them on later fish, until you reminded me this time. I found them on this fish, they are a lot bigger!

IMG_7922.JPG

6 hours ago, Captain Spanner said:

Nice one, It sounds like there was quite a bit going on in your gutter. Do you have any more trips planned this week?

As Bruce posted earlier: I will take a break until I have some room in the freezer:D

20 hours ago, wchh said:

Hope this comes as consistent as your hackings routine!

I body surf regularly at Wanda or Elouera beaches, and have noticed recently that the terns are diving for bait fish, even fairly close in during day time, so the bait fish are bringing the bigger ones in.

On 1/2/2018 at 8:00 PM, wchh said:

Hi Rick,

I harvested one pair in 2010 and used in my profile photo. I did not look for them on later fish, until you reminded me this time. I found them on this fish, they are a lot bigger!

IMG_7922.JPG

Ok dumb question coming up. What are these? An excellent session if you don't mind me saying. I have never caught a Jewfish so bear that in mind with your answer please. Cheers, bn

hey neil..these are the [otolith bones] they sit in a bulb of fluid where the spine meets the head...they are used for balance in the fish..also counting the rings on them gives their age..if you look into the gill cavity of a jew as well as other fish you will see a bulbous looking base where the spine starts..prise away the outside layers of bone carefully and you will find the otoliths or  ear bones..floating in spinal fluid....rick