avoca 02/01/2018

fisholb

hi raiders

decided to check avoca today hoping to catch a bonito or two.

mate pick me up around 330am and got to avoca around 5am

rigged one rod with whole pilly on float and another rod with squid skirt on float

after 10 mins the rod with pilly went off but by the time i got to the rod the hook came off

quickly put another pilly on the float and cast it to about 15-20 from the ledge

decided to spin the squid skirt on float and after the 3rd cast i landed our first bonito for 2018 hi 5s with my mate

the bonito bit my middle finger while i was removing the hook from its mouth

while i was putting the bonito to the esky the other rod with the pilly went off so i told my mate to grab it and landed our 2nd bonito for the day

in the next hour or so we had bites on pillys on float lost a few with the hook coming off or the trace got bitten off

we only had about 20pcs of pillys and we run out of bait by 7am we landed 2 kingys 63cm and 67cm quickly release the 63cm to fight another day the kingys were both caught on the pilly

we decided to use a chrome lure my mate got from kmart and fought over a dozen bonito and only landed around half a dozen

the big bonito up to 60cm preferred the pilly while the small ones preferred the chrome lures

by 830 me n my mate landed 13 bonito and only 1 kingy

decided to pack up around 9am due to our arms and shoulders starting to hurt

home around 11am

thanks for reading

10BF1CBE-0BF7-440E-BECA-06E8943F7462.jpeg

Edited by fisholb
photo of the haul
  • Like 9

thanks guys

havent been rock fishing for almost 2yrs 

was pretty good feeling landing those bonito off the rocks

alot harder than off the boat

i prefer to fish early just before sunrise and try to head home around lunchtime

gets too hot in summertime

6 hours ago, ARC H said:

Nice report 

talking to a guy at a fishing shop the other day and was saying the bonnies are in the Terrigal Haven.

There are a few coming in the Haven ARC it's still hit and miss some days they are there other days nothing. I'll be heading back out here in a few days when the tide gets lower in the morning.

7 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

sounds like a fun session ..where there many fishing there ??...rick

there were about a dozen fishos when we got there 

about 30 when we left around 9am

love catching and eating bonito

we target bonito every summer off the rocks from avoca to bass pt

9 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Awesome work, them bonnies are great fun especially on light gear. 

Great way to start the year

thanks

my mate had to lock the drag with those big bonito on his slammer 3 3500 lol

12 hours ago, Wellzy94 said:

Good stuff! It's always great to get into those schools of bonito. And a legal kingy to ice the cake!

Cheers,

Wellzy

thanks

i always dread when hooking up a kingy coz i catch mostly rats lol

12 hours ago, DaveTheBoy said:

Good on you mate - sounds like a good early session!

thanks

we always leave home around 3am back around 3pm

havent had this type of session for almost 2yrs now

love catching bonito

6 hours ago, Stu-SP said:

What a productive little session! A solid feed of fish!

thanks

yes best ever session off rocks for almost 2yrs

usually keep a couple of fish and give the rest of the haul to family and friends

South Avoca rocks is the spot Anthony

Park near the surf club. Once you get out on the rocks you will see everyone fishing you just have to find a spot..or try Terrigal Haven for Bonnies

Tim

Edited by Time28

6 hours ago, antonywardle said:

where about's at Avoca were you fishing? Love to have a go for a bonnie or a king!

I've tried fishing at the Northern end of the beach, but didn't have too much luck.

the spot is off avoca drive near the rock pool

theres a path that will lead you to the ledge from the parking area near the pool

pls be very careful if you havent been to that spot

pls check swell and wind before you go to that spot

can be very dangerous if the swell is over 2m

the waves will definitely come up if the swell is over 2m

been there when the swell was over 2m and it was very scary

two of my mates have been swept off that spot by huge waves and both are lucky to be alive today 

both of them were not wearing safety gear and wont go back to that spot ever again

always wear safety gear

goodluck

Thanks @fisholb and @Time28. I'll check it out. I've got my rock boots and my PFD  always wear. If the sell is that big, then I'll be sitting in Brisbane waters in my boat! Looks like the opposite end of where I was trying for drummer a while back. I had all my safety gear on when three young lads turned up and just jumped int he water. Braver than me!

Guest Guest123456789
12 hours ago, antonywardle said:

Thanks @fisholb and @Time28. I'll check it out. I've got my rock boots and my PFD  always wear. If the sell is that big, then I'll be sitting in Brisbane waters in my boat! Looks like the opposite end of where I was trying for drummer a while back. I had all my safety gear on when three young lads turned up and just jumped int he water. Braver than me!

Go further around next time Anthony - the point/mugs and the slide are for kids/surfers mainly

14 hours ago, antonywardle said:

Coasties lol, mad bunch haha, checkout morningtide fishing on YouTube and watch how they do it. 

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=6&ved=0ahUKEwiWpb68hL7YAhXMF5QKHTMwArgQo7QBCBMwBQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dob5l1lkV-pg&usg=AOvVaw1WLdWpels5uYNIL93_Vvfh

Edited by Hooked-Up
Added video