avoca 02/01/2018

fisholb

13 hours ago, Hooked-Up said:

They must enjoy the feeling of barnacles grating their skin away. 

Guest Guest123456789
On 05/01/2018 at 10:15 AM, Peter Nelson said:

They must enjoy the feeling of barnacles grating their skin away. 

You’d be surprised how soft that kelp is. There is a spot at Avoca rocks called the slide which you slide down the rocks on with the return surge of a wave. Did it thousands of times growing up and never got a single scratch.

9 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

now I remember why I don't go there...id rather walk to Winnie..rick

Heh. It wasnt like that yesterday afternoon.

Hmmmm. cant rotate the photo. mods?

IMG_8094.JPG

Edited by xerotao
upside down photo

7 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

You’d be surprised how soft that kelp is. There is a spot at Avoca rocks called the slide which you slide down the rocks on with the return surge of a wave. Did it thousands of times growing up and never got a single scratch.

Yeah we had a similar one where I grew up at crescent head called splash, heaps of fun, one day I did get an old rusted/snagged fish hook In my finger as I got washed through a bit of a channel between 2 rocks, lucky it broke off and didn't have a heavy trace or things could of been dicey

On 06/01/2018 at 9:48 AM, rickmarlin62 said:

now I remember why I don't go there...id rather walk to Winnie..rick

you should go to bass pt...twice the number of people...you fish shoulder to shoulder with other fishos...lol

On 06/01/2018 at 9:53 AM, Regan said:

nice catch mate bonnies are awesome fun on light gear and that king must have got your heart pumping :biggrinthumb:

thanks...wait until you catch a bonito over the 60cm...fights harder than a kingy imo...you will get a sore arms and shoulders...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, however the gutters are usually closer to the lake than the rocks. 

Any rig will work. If the surge isn't too strong just use a basic running sinker to swivel then leader to hook.

Match hook to suit. Gangs with whole pilchards for salmon, tailor and flathead or larger hook for pieces of pilchards or pippi, worm, prawn, etc

Small hook will  get you Whiting, dart, bream and flathead. 

Occasional jew also. 

Edited by Brew

2 hours ago, Andy_Cass said:

great, thank you BREW.

What weight line and leader do you use for say salmon/tailor vs whiting bream?

For tailor/salmon I usually use 40-60lb leader on about a 15lb line. You can go way smaller however. 

For Whiting go as light as possible. 1-2lbs is fine. You don't need a heavier leader as use a small long shank hook and you will hook them in the lip nearly every time.  

The bream are usually just over legal so you could go the same as Whiting or a little heavier plus a slightly heavier leader. You can get some big bream there so you might get dusted occasionally. I recently got a 43cm as a by catch when fishing for jews and it took a half bonito fillet on a 6/0 hook. 

On 07/01/2018 at 11:39 AM, rickmarlin62 said:

A mate sent me this  caught the other day at avoca

IMG_2267.jpeg

That kid was fishing next to me watched that king chase my x rap to the rocks then take his live yakka under a float was using 80lb braid and 100lb leader neally lost it afew times 

20 hours ago, geshy said:

That kid was fishing next to me watched that king chase my x rap to the rocks then take his live yakka under a float was using 80lb braid and 100lb leader neally lost it afew times 

Ouch! That must’ve hurt a bit lol.