Who tows with a std towbar?

Fab1

Do you get a lot of banging and clanging at the coupling?I've tried everything with mine and if I adjust the grub screw just until the play is gone,I can't lift the handle to release the coupling from the ball.If I back it just enough to be able to lift the coupling off the ball,the banging and clanging is back. 

It would be nice if I can rectify this issue and short of maybe replacing the coupling and ball I'm at a loss.

Note:The coupling and ball are 50mm.

Cheers.

Are you sure it's not the jockey wheel rattling about, try a bungy strap on the jockey wheel and see if you still get all the noise. By the way I have a standard towball and have done hundreds of hours of towing on it and only ever noticed the jockey wheel and wobble rollers making any noise. I use a little trolley jack to push my wobble rollers back up if they move a little.

10 hours ago, JonD said:

Are you sure it's not the jockey wheel rattling about, try a bungy strap on the jockey wheel and see if you still get all the noise. By the way I have a standard towball and have done hundreds of hours of towing on it and only ever noticed the jockey wheel and wobble rollers making any noise. I use a little trolley jack to push my wobble rollers back up if they move a little.

It's a definate bang back and forth like when the coupling is loose but will tie it back and see.

10 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I get noise from the actual hayman reese hitch moving in the towbar..nylon shims helped..rick

Yeah,those removable hitches are prone to it as they move about a lot if you don't shim them or tighten/fit the/a grub screw.

Unfortunately this method won't fix my situation as I have a solid one piece std towbar.

I will have a look again and check everything out and will buy a new coupling and ball if to no avail to see if it makes a difference.

You might find that the Ball Coupling may have "elongated" over time ...

Cheaper Steels / Alloys... etc ... against a hardened steel ball ..

I grease mine up regularly, and still find every now and then I have to adjust the grub screw on the hitch...

I also had my entire tow-bar replaced as part of a "Safety Recall" from JEEP ....( mine is a 1996 Grand Cherokee LTD ) still got recalled.

They removed my aftermarket brand, and replaced with OEM JEEP ... that was about 2 years ago ..... Had her for 16 years.

No Noise though .... not even before the recall, main noise is from my swing up jockey wheel ...

Great_White

Edited by Great_White

Found something Intresting.The set screw on the couplings adjuster had lost it's threads and needs replacing.I had to cut and slot the screw again to unscrew it out of the coupling.The Screw photo is after I cut the top off and slotted it for removal.Never seen that happen before.Getting a spare screw is a pita too.

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 06/01/2018 at 1:31 PM, back cruncher said:

Hi all...A treg hitch will solve all your problems.

Apparently they are pretty good from what I've read.They are probably overkill on a small  boat trailer like mine.

Went shopping for a new coupling,towball today armed with my vernier calipers and micrometer and guess what?Couplings and tow balls vary in size by as much as 0.7mm.

I bought the best match up I could find,moved my axle back to give me my max ball weight of 75kg and  the bloody thing is still banging under tow but not as much as before.

Will have to live with it I guess but geez it's annoying.

50 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

is it your coupling or the boat banging on the trailer..im guessing small tinnie...heavy weight springs..hitting potholes in road.?????

The coupling is loose on the towball and bangs back and forth when going over bumps.I,ve pretty much exhausted things to try the last being adjusting the set screw on the coupling as much as I could still allowing me to unhitch,moving the trailer axle back to achieve a ball weight of 75kg and it still bangs but not as much as previously.

My boat is solid on the trailer and it has the correct springs for the load on it.

I even took the swing up jockey wheel completely off to prove to myself it isn't that making the noise.

In short it sounds and feels like the boat moving slightly back and forth on the ball banging and echoing through the chassis.

5 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

it sounds like your pulling your hair out on this one Fabian....is it a braked trailer..i don't think you need 75kg on the ball..i only have round 35/40 and have no probs..what sort of boat /trailer combo ??

I am pulling my hair out(What's left) and being a stubborn Bxxxxxxd I won't give up.It,s my little runabout on an unbraked trailer.Towed with my Kia.I have put the maximum ball weight to see if it made a difference,that's all.

IMG_20180104_163917.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rickmarlin62 said:

nice rig Fabian..i would say your right bout the banging being vibrated thru th chassis mate..we had an excel that did same...turn radio up loud.you know its not gunna fall off with all new ball n hitch

Thanks,Yeah,I think I've done as much as I can(For now).I'm extremely happy how the little Kia tows her other than the noise.

Just now, Sigma said:

What about trying a piece of some rigid rubber, like a piece of tube from a tyre.

Maybe silicon it to the top of the ball as It might help cushion it and get rid of the noise.

I did some research and on the caravan forums they reckon they use multiple layers of shopping bags on the ball then drop the coupling on.(yet to try) but your idea sounds good too.