Narooma Spots

johnnyboy

The fishing is hotting up down here with many of the beaches having salmon tailor and sharks etc. The north side of the bridge between Narooma and Dalmeny will often have a few decent gutters which you can pretty much spot from the car. The beach north of Dalmeny has gutters along it, while just infront of the lake at Dal can often be good for bream and whiting ( and sometimes bigger sharks). 

The inside section along the cycle path by Easts caravan park and the swimming pool can be good for bream and whiting. There have also been some 1m + kings in the inlet lately. The main wharf can be ok around the tide changes but a little challenging when the current is running hard. 

If you do t mind a drive then head to Tilba but rather than take the right turn into the little village turn left instead and head down towards the cemetery ( keep hanging right). At the end of the track ( about 2km ) you will find a stunning beach that often has plenty of deep gutters that fish very well. This area fishes well after dark also for gummies and the odd jew, there have also been some good jews in the inlet over the last week well over the metre.

The guys in the complete angler between the library and the ice creamery will happily keep you updated and food at the ice creamery is also pretty good. If you are travelling with family then Tilba is often good for those with a sweat tooth.

On 04/01/2018 at 9:58 PM, JonD said:

The fishing is hotting up down here with many of the beaches having salmon tailor and sharks etc. The north side of the bridge between Narooma and Dalmeny will often have a few decent gutters which you can pretty much spot from the car. The beach north of Dalmeny has gutters along it, while just infront of the lake at Dal can often be good for bream and whiting ( and sometimes bigger sharks). 

The inside section along the cycle path by Easts caravan park and the swimming pool can be good for bream and whiting. There have also been some 1m + kings in the inlet lately. The main wharf can be ok around the tide changes but a little challenging when the current is running hard. 

If you do t mind a drive then head to Tilba but rather than take the right turn into the little village turn left instead and head down towards the cemetery ( keep hanging right). At the end of the track ( about 2km ) you will find a stunning beach that often has plenty of deep gutters that fish very well. This area fishes well after dark also for gummies and the odd jew, there have also been some good jews in the inlet over the last week well over the metre.

The guys in the complete angler between the library and the ice creamery will happily keep you updated and food at the ice creamery is also pretty good. If you are travelling with family then Tilba is often good for those with a sweat tooth.

Hi JonD,

This is a timely post as I'm also headed down for a spot of camping at Surfbeach holiday park so I may run into jonnyboy trying out the spots you've mentioned.

Is it worth spinning a lure or soaking a pilly at the beach directly in front of the Surfbeach holiday park?

If I bring my yak along can you point me to any spots to try in the inlet or on the ocean side? Would be fun to land one of the stonker bream from your $10 rod challenge. Or maybe get a feed of squid and chase a king in the inlet. Any of your local knowledge would be appreciated!

Cheers, undy

I stayed at the big4 easts caravan park in december, and had a great time casting lures for flathead on the flats just east of the park at high tide. When the tide was a bit lower I would cast into the hole near the wharf (circled) and when it was around full low tide I'd throw some heavier lures off the rock wall out into the deeper channel (where the arrows are pointing). Only thing to be careful about is rays. I had an enormous eagle ray not bend, but snap in half both 2/0 owner trebles on a huge blade I was throwing and nearly spool me, so watch out.

5a50af055cd9b_ScreenShot2018-01-06at10_07_18PM.png.df746fc360e2abb9e66f47091f8f769a.png

16 hours ago, undy said:

Hi JonD,

This is a timely post as I'm also headed down for a spot of camping at Surfbeach holiday park so I may run into jonnyboy trying out the spots you've mentioned.

Is it worth spinning a lure or soaking a pilly at the beach directly in front of the Surfbeach holiday park?

If I bring my yak along can you point me to any spots to try in the inlet or on the ocean side? Would be fun to land one of the stonker bream from your $10 rod challenge. Or maybe get a feed of squid and chase a king in the inlet. Any of your local knowledge would be appreciated!

Cheers, undy

Surf beach often fishes very well for salmon tailor and bream etc, head to the southern end close to the rocks for the bream. You don't need to cast far for the bream which will take the usuall baits. 

Drop into the local tackle store or parks and wildlife office for a zoning map so you don't accidently end up in a sanctuary ( especially for the inlet ).

For the yak it's probably best to pop it in next to the fisheries office over the shallow sand flats, these flats are excellent for pumping nippers at low or flicking light lures over on high.  Around to the left from there is the marina where all kinds of fish can turn up from time to time, jews and even big kings lately. Around the marina can turn up some good squid too if you like those, also straight out from the fisheries office you will note a small passage marked by red green cardinal markers ( apox 300m )This area would have to be my favorate spot in the inlet to fish as there can be all sorts from big dusky's, bream, snapper and squid etc.

If the forcast is good you can put a kayak in at Dalmeny ocean ramp ( not the lake ). From there any of the close headlands can turn on most fish but flicking lures untill you find a few salmon would be my pick. Dalmeny Lake can be very tough to fish especially with all the boat traffic of lately, not only fisho's but skiers too, there's also a fair amount of illegal netting going on ( which we've reported )

Mystery bay might be worth a look with a kayak too, with the rocks infront of the main car park being the best spot ( not the first little car park on the left). If you dive there's also a few lobsters and plenty of abalone in that area.

My daughter walked from 9am untill 6.30 pm flicking lures from the north side of the bridge heading up river yesterday and caught numerous bream and whiting ( light line is the key). Today she did underwater survey work from the main wharf to the bridge along the oyster wall where she saw many good sized bream and whiting ( as well as the species she was surveying) be carefull as some areas have protected black cod so be sure to release these as the fines for keeping one are huge.