Black plastic block

raging

Hi all,

To prevent new holes in the dash, I want to make a mounting plate/block to put the new fish finder head unit on.

im after a black plastic block (similar to chopping board material) say 90mm x 90mm x 20mm. Where can I buy such a thing (timber is so much easier than plastic!)

cheers

12 hours ago, raging said:

Hi all,

To prevent new holes in the dash, I want to make a mounting plate/block to put the new fish finder head unit on.

im after a black plastic block (similar to chopping board material) say 90mm x 90mm x 20mm. Where can I buy such a thing (timber is so much easier than plastic!)

cheers

Sounds like you plan to screw down the block (using existing holes in dash) and then screw the fishfinder mount to that. 

If so, have you considered 2 sheets of 12mm cutting board. Screw first sheet to the dash and countersink the screw heads to keep the top surface flat and level. Screw second sheet on top with the same screws you plan to use for your fishfinder mount. The second sheet basically acts as a spacer.

Cheers

Zoran

• Like 1

Hi raging,

You can buy chopping blocks up to 25mm (from memory) from a catering suppliers place. I bought mine (20mm)that I found on the net, from Smeaton Grange (near Narellan) which I needed for my transducer and structure scan on the back of the boat. As I had a massive piece, I ended up giving the Mrs half of it to use in the kitchen and I still had left overs for a backing/strengthening plate when I installed my stainless steel rod holders for my downrigger. I think that I paid $27 (could be wrong) for a big piece.....but it really is quality comparing to what the shops sell.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

So I managed to get black hdpe plastic squares from a plastic shop. Got a few to experiment with.

took some time sanding to round off the sharpness and to smooth it out, then hit it with a butane torch. There is a fine line between not enough and too much flame :)

Attached is the work in progress. Left before, right is after.

IMG_2162.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I took the old finder off, then pulled apart the base (held together with plastic glue). Then with the square black plastic, I cut a round disc to fit inside which the new finder screws into.

Happy with the result of using the old screw holes

IMG_2217.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raging said:

Just an update. I took the old finder off, then pulled apart the base (held together with plastic glue). Then with the square black plastic, I cut a round disc to fit inside which the new finder screws into.

IMG_2217.JPG

Nice job ?!

cheers Z

5 hours ago, raging said:

IMG_2217.JPG

If you didn't know you'd think it was from factory.Good job.