Wollondilly

Rah

G'day raiders,

Going camping at wollondilly river station next week for a couple of days.

Have heard there is carp and potentially bass and ep's. Does anyone know if there bass and eps are around there at the moment? 

Have done some reading on targeting carp and I think I've got that sorted with corn and bread, little to no sinker and  let them really take the bait before striking. 

What's the best way to kill them? Potentially in a kayak. 

Planning on handing them over to the owners if we get any. 

Is there anything I need to look out for handling carp?

Any tips or advice would be fantastic!!

Cheers

Rah

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

a short stick about 30cm long with a nail driven thru the end at 90 deg....whack it into their head behind the eyes a few times...kills them well...nail needs to be stickin out 45/50mm...rick  ps no spikes or gill spines to worry bout

Thanks Rick. 

8 hours ago, Rah said:

G'day raiders,

Going camping at wollondilly river station next week for a couple of days.

Have heard there is carp and potentially bass and ep's. Does anyone know if there bass and eps are around there at the moment? 

Have done some reading on targeting carp and I think I've got that sorted with corn and bread, little to no sinker and  let them really take the bait before striking. 

What's the best way to kill them? Potentially in a kayak. 

Planning on handing them over to the owners if we get any. 

Is there anything I need to look out for handling carp?

Any tips or advice would be fantastic!!

Cheers

Rah

Take a supply of rags with you Tara. They are slimy and your hands will begin to stink after handling a few. Give ur hands and the rags a good rinse out in the water. TIP;  take an extra loaf or two. With about half a loaf wet half of that and mix together with the dry half. Squeeze the excess water out till you have a few firm balls of bread dough. Find a backwater with little current and chuck one in whole. It will dissolve and attract heaps of Carp to that area. After about half an hour go and fish there and you should be able to get plenty of bites. Chuck another in to keep them there while you fish. Doesn't matter if the bread is a bit stale. Good luck. bn

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Take a supply of rags with you Tara. They are slimy and your hands will begin to stink after handling a few. Give ur hands and the rags a good rinse out in the water. TIP;  take an extra loaf or two. With about half a loaf wet half of that and mix together with the dry half. Squeeze the excess water out till you have a few firm balls of bread dough. Find a backwater with little current and chuck one in whole. It will dissolve and attract heaps of Carp to that area. After about half an hour go and fish there and you should be able to get plenty of bites. Chuck another in to keep them there while you fish. Doesn't matter if the bread is a bit stale. Good luck. bn

Cheers Neil. That's a good tip with the rags!!! 

Will take some extra loaf's for bread balls for sure  

As far as I’m know there’s no bass in the Dilly! Yes it’s an eastern watershed but it’s flow is technically impeded by Warragamba Dam. You may find a few trout in the side creeks if you hike downstream or kayak to 500 acre flat. But it’s generally considered a winter trout fishery when they run to spawn 

There are some nice trout in there Tara. Quite a few small ones, but I did nail a 56cm rainbow there on a tassie devil,& a few browns around the 35-40cm mark. I used to tie a fly about 20cm above the lure & would get fish on both. Celta's, Tassie devils & small rapalas were the gun lures. I never saw a bass or a carp in there, but no doubt the carp would be there now.

You have to fish the witching hours at first light or dusk.

It's been a long time since I've been there, but say g'day to Brian & Ina from Grant. We used to go there a lot.

Edited by Jewhunter

19 hours ago, luderick -angler said:

As far as I’m know there’s no bass in the Dilly! Yes it’s an eastern watershed but it’s flow is technically impeded by Warragamba Dam. You may find a few trout in the side creeks if you hike downstream or kayak to 500 acre flat. But it’s generally considered a winter trout fishery when they run to spawn 

Cheers mate. I was just going off their website. :)

16 hours ago, Jewhunter said:

There are some nice trout in there Tara. Quite a few small ones, but I did nail a 56cm rainbow there on a tassie devil,& a few browns around the 35-40cm mark. I used to tie a fly about 20cm above the lure & would get fish on both. Celta's, Tassie devils & small rapalas were the gun lures. I never saw a bass or a carp in there, but no doubt the carp would be there now.

You have to fish the witching hours at first light or dusk.

It's been a long time since I've been there, but say g'day to Brian & Ina from Grant. We used to go there a lot.

Will do mate. 

Cheers for the info. There must be carp as they ask people to not leave them on the banks but to take them up to them and they will either eat them or make cat/dog food 

I prefer dawn fishing so that's no problem. :)