Landbased Kingfish lures

Wellzy94

Hey raiders!

I've got a 9ft rod good for casting small metals (cast weight 20-60grams) and I'm hoping to have a crack at lure fishing land-based for Kingfish and other pelagics. I've got a few metal lures between 20-60g, but I was wondering what hardbodies would be good to have a go at this? Is it enough cast weight for large enough hardbodies, or should I just try my luck with the metals?

Cheers,

Wellzy

Hi Wellzy,

My answer is a little dependent on what braid rating you are using.

If you can find them I still like the Shimano waxwings as they cast a fair distance and have a nice erratic darting motion.

I've picked up two kings in the last 3 days shore based and what has worked for me really well in the past is the Slapstix (or Sluggo) type plastics in the 9" but I match them with a 3/8 or 1/2 oz TT Bullet head jighead with a 5/0 XH hook. I use a sub-surface walk the dog retrieve with pauses (you need to get the rod tip bouncing or pulsing on the retrieve - when the pressure comes off the lure it swings to one side). My theory is the erratic left to right motion interests and irritates them and the pause in which the jig head will help the lure race down gives them a good chance to grab the lure. Most of the hook ups are on the pause but if I feel a bump I retrieve as fast as I can to set off their chase reaction.

The second king was picked up yesterday using a 40gram flutter type jig. I use the same retrieve that I do for the Slapstix. I do most of my heavier shore based lure work with a Shimano raider Snapper 762 which has a lure rating of up to 45gram. This overlaps with your rod rating. I was using 15lb braid with 30lb mono leader which gives me good casting distance (up to about 70 - 80m with the 40gm lures).

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

Derek, I have a reel spooled and ready to go with 15lb braid, probably should've mentioned that in the post!

I've got a couple of those flutter type jigs. I might buy a back of SPs and some jigheads, and maybe a popper or two and have a crack!

Cheers,

Wellzy

hi mate

we use squid skirt tied to a squid float

very cheap lure to make to catch pelagic landbased

use trace as long as your rod

below r d list to make one

1. squid skirt 

2. 3/0-5/0 suicide or long shank hook

3. squid float

4. no. 5-10 ball sinker for casting distance

5. 30-50lb trace

another option is a halco metal twisty lure

you can also use the new rapala longcast in ghost or pilly color (caught kingy and bonito)

7C1AE1F9-335C-4A79-BFBF-531B482C0D94.png

066C56CF-2B89-4FF4-B480-D27CEB728CA9.png

938BD07B-FD9C-455D-B60A-F644E8BF589F.png

The bibbed and non bibbed xxx-rap long cast lures are great for casting and chasing pelagics have managed to land a lot of decent fish on these, stick baits and poppers also work well.

To be honest good luck landing a decent king on 15lb off the rocks i would think you would have to be pretty lucky but thats just my opinion, might be different in the harbor but if i was spinning off the rocks for kings down here i would def be upping line rating, but hey thats just my opinion, good luck

Rory

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2018 at 2:42 PM, Wellzy94 said:

Derek, I have a reel spooled and ready to go with 15lb braid, probably should've mentioned that in the post!

I've got a couple of those flutter type jigs. I might buy a back of SPs and some jigheads, and maybe a popper or two and have a crack!

Cheers,

Wellzy

Watch out in the shallower water the Kingies might reef you on 15lb, but it's still very doable to catch em. 

13 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Yep- especially the white painted ones- white metals are very underutilised for kings IMHO

Yep! i used to spray paint my raiders white and then stick on some holographic stickers when chasing kings off the stones. I don't know why they stopped making white raiders.

• 4 months later...
On 5/3/2019 at 9:27 AM, PaddyT said:

Ive got about 50 of them sitting in my garage- used to go through them like lollies when I spun the rocks.

Hey mate, is it as simple as painting the whole lure white? I'm a big fan of metals and am always looking for different things to try. Cheers

30lb braid would be a better choice. 

Minnows and poppers will give you a better chance. Don't worry about casting distance as kingies cruise in close. I have had some success with the Rapala CD mag range. A tip is to glue a bit of sheet lead to the tail and this stops them tumbling during the cast. 

I spin the stones up here on central coast  i use a lot of home made metals in brass  just give em a rub with scourer or sandpaper to make em shine  half bquarters  arrows  similar shape to raiders or spanyids   brass or gold works well because it imitates the main baitfish round here    yellowtail