Definitely learnt my lesson this time!

KingieRun

Gday All,

Headed off to little manly today with a few mates and couple young fellas who tagged along in hopes to catch a couple nice fish for dinner. We arrived at 11am and with the first cast i got hooked onto a 50cm+ flathead which spat the hook as i was winching it up the rocks. We were using shiny micro jigs and sure enough we got a few legal tailor. Funnily enough one of my mates hooked a whiting on a 50g micro jig. Towards the end of the sesh one of the young fellas got his line caught on the rock and me being as stupid as i am tried to get it and whilst getting it i fell of the rocks scraping myself against a large pile of oysters. This resulted in 20 or so stitches in my right leg and an intense sanitisation. I was lucky enough to have landed that way as it could've ended up much worse. I've definitely learnt my lesson to be much more careful around rocks and always be very mindful of your surroundings.

Regards,

Anthony - KingieRun

IMG_1662-min.thumb.PNG.5bddb52fd6f1b7d4183cfd684a56359a.PNGIMG_4213-min.thumb.JPG.1b381bc9724eaa9c94f4442cec76d19b.JPG

Hi Kingierun;

A few nasty gashes.

Being oyster cuts you will have to be extremely wary of infection.

A painful way to find out but;

NO BLOODY BIT OF GEAR IS WORTH THAT!!!:angry:

If you get reefed break the thing off!!

To replace the bit of gear would be around 1% or less of the bills to mend the hole.

Put this in the file in the front.

Under;

"YOU  DON"T DO THAT THERE "ERE!!

Take things easy.

Cheers.

OLdfella.

When I saw the title oysters and regrets I kept saying don't look at this one, dam I did and yuk that's nasty. 

It makes me cringe seeing all the little kids here with parents letting them climb over the oyster covered rocks as well as swim around them. I really don't like oyster cuts, hopefully more people may learne from your mistake.

My son had simular to yours only his cuts had broken oysters and I think the whole town could hear his screams as the doctor picked the bits out of his cuts.

By the way please don't post anymore of these:o

9 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

oysters and skin are not a good combo..lucky its surface..ive seen some very deep ones in the past.....as they say mate we all live an learn...rick

Yep i definitely know that for sure. My cut could have been much worse. Hopefully the antibiotics steer me away from any infections! 

7 hours ago, Rock&Beach said:

Ohhhhhh that is nasty. Well done on taking the young guys out for a fish  keep the next generation going and teach them early. Cheers R&B

Haha yep even i squirm slightly when glancing back at the photo. Yeh its great to get the young kids out for a fish especially to get them slightly educated about the environment and how it needs to be taken care of.

6 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Ohhh nasty...looks painful !! Many lessons for the young ones on that trip.  Good on ya for passing on the passion and better luck next time. 

Cheers

zoran

Not too bad at the time but a just a bit of time after it bloody killed. Definitely love showing the young fellas what to do and what NOT to do ahaha. Cheers anyways Zoran.

3 hours ago, Oldfella said:

Hi Kingierun;

A few nasty gashes.

Being oyster cuts you will have to be extremely wary of infection.

A painful way to find out but;

NO BLOODY BIT OF GEAR IS WORTH THAT!!!:angry:

If you get reefed break the thing off!!

To replace the bit of gear would be around 1% or less of the bills to mend the hole.

Put this in the file in the front.

Under;

"YOU  DON"T DO THAT THERE "ERE!!

Take things easy.

Cheers.

OLdfella.

Yeh when my old man came and had a look he immediately chucked some antiseptic on it and gave it a pretty good clean, those oysters have some pretty nasty bacteria in them. Thats very true about the gear, i should never even taken the risk but it was a very good lesson to be learnt. Anyways, Cheers Oldfella

2 hours ago, JonD said:

When I saw the title oysters and regrets I kept saying don't look at this one, dam I did and yuk that's nasty. 

It makes me cringe seeing all the little kids here with parents letting them climb over the oyster covered rocks as well as swim around them. I really don't like oyster cuts, hopefully more people may learne from your mistake.

My son had simular to yours only his cuts had broken oysters and I think the whole town could hear his screams as the doctor picked the bits out of his cuts.

By the way please don't post anymore of these:o

Sorry i should've put GRAPHIC CONTENT, my fault. Your sons incident sounds hella painful feel sorry for him. I agree with you that people are not cautious around oysters in which they really should be. Even a small cut can induce a serious infection. Sorry again about all the nasty content i just thought it would be a good reminder to all that oysters can be very dangerous. 

52 minutes ago, KingieRun said:

Sorry i should've put GRAPHIC CONTENT, my fault. Your sons incident sounds hella painful feel sorry for him. I agree with you that people are not cautious around oysters in which they really should be. Even a small cut can induce a serious infection. Sorry again about all the nasty content i just thought it would be a good reminder to all that oysters can be very dangerous. 

Haha no probs, I always look away or turn over if any medical procedures are on tv!!! Hope it heals up without issue.

Edited by JonD

Your misfortune is a good reminder to all of us to carry a first aid kit.I carry one fishing, in the boat,horse riding,car, etc.You never know when you'll need it.

A basic course in first aid never goes a stray either with at least somone in your immediate house hold being trained.

As others have said,no lure,rig,fish is worth the consequences of what can happen.You survived with a scratch in the scheme of what could have been.

Thanks for sharing and happy fishing.

1 minute ago, JonD said:

Haha no probs, I always look away or turn over if any medical procedures are on tv!!!

You sound like my Mrs.lol.I can't get enough of shows like that.Lately I've been watching ones on chainsaw accidents and post-mortems.Especialy the chainsaw ones are an eye opener to how quickly the game can change.You get clowns buying a chainsaw thinking there's nothing too it and before long they become a statistic.Chainsaw,tablesaw,circular saw would have to be the 3 most dangerous domestic tools which anyone handy usually has.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Your misfortune is a good reminder to all of us to carry a first aid kit.I carry one fishing, in the boat,horse riding,car, etc.You never know when you'll need it.

A basic course in first aid never goes a stray either with at least somone in your immediate house hold being trained.

As others have said,no lure,rig,fish is worth the consequences of what can happen.You survived with a scratch in the scheme of what could have been.

Thanks for sharing and happy fishing.

We carry first aid kits in all our vehicles and the boat. This time of year we regularly use up dressing pads and bandages just from being around the boat ramp as tourists let their kids play on the oysters. We've all done first aid courses too simply because of  the risky games we play ( diving around washes with sharps and teeth etc). 

Still don't like seeing injuries and when they are my own I simply pass out !!!!

3 minutes ago, JonD said:

We carry first aid kits in all our vehicles and the boat. This time of year we regularly use up dressing pads and bandages just from being around the boat ramp as tourists let their kids play on the oysters. We've all done first aid courses too simply because of  the risky games we play ( diving around washes with sharps and teeth etc). 

Still don't like seeing injuries and when they are my own I simply pass out !!!!

Ha i felt a bit faint at the time but my old man told me to toughen up and clean the wound out. Wasn't very pleasant.