Thankyou Marine Rescue

Yarraone

I would just like to give a HUGE shout out to Marine Rescue Solomon and Bondi Rescue.

Yesterday after the weather turned and started to blow up, as we had to very young soles with us . We decided to turn for home and try to beat the wind. As we goy level with Bondi and about 2 km from shore our motor stopped. It seemed like we were out of fuel . But the case was the fuel line had became very hard and split and water separator had also corroded. so it was sucking air. 

The swell was getting bigger as well and with a drift towards the coast and heading south, I wasted no time in calling in Rescue. Sydney Rescue put Rescue Solomon on to me via mobile phone as Sydney Recue were also busy and Solomon was the closest.  They maintained constant contact with me by phone informing me or distance and time from where the rescue crew was.

My crew took the opportunity to keep the boys amused and keep fishing even though we were dragging anchor toward shore. I called them back when we were within 100m from the rocks just south of Bondi. Bondi Rescue were then also sent out on jet skis to help keep us from the rocks, but by then we were attached to the rescue boat and heading for home.

After filling out the paperwork, I just have to mention just in case some people are thinking I cant ring then due to cost?  They asked for a donation to cover fuel?  A very small cost to save your life and the life of others.. I hade no problem in supporting a great cause like these guys. So I gave them a few 100 bucks for their trouble and got all their trouble.  Maybe we at fishraider can organise a meet and greet day and to raise some funds for these guys seeing as we all may need them at one time...

If any of my Friends are not Fish Raiders, and would like to become part of a great group of fish enthusiasts look it up on facebook or the net...

For the crew of Marine Rescue Solander, Donations can be made via the Facebook page....

By30.jpg

• Like 4

glad to hear you got home in one piece..they deserve all the accolades they get for a great job done...ive been towed in to Swansea from 5 miles out when I blew an alternator in an inboard...any fundraiser would be greatly appreciated as they don't get much from the government..my mates in the one at Swansea...rick

Below are some links to grab the Marine Rescue App. Lots of boaters now use this to log on and off before going offshore.

Fishraider and it’s members have always supported MR with donations and a worthy cause when needed as Yarraone and other raiders have discovered. Good outcome Sean.

http://marinerescuensw.com.au/component/content?id=79/ 

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/marine-rescue-nsw/id722023675?mt=8 

• Like 1

Many may not know but since circa 2011 there has been a Marine Rescue levy applied to all NSW boat registrations and licences. Thus many members on this site are already making a annual contribution to them. I’m not certain what the exact value is, but I understand it was in vicinity $7.50 per licence and registration (IE $15 combined) but may have increased. I don’t mean to discourage you from donating further to Marine Rescue, as they do offer an excellent service. But wanting to make you aware that you may already be supporting them via the rego and licence levy. 

They do receive a high level of government funding. 

“The NSW Government is proud to support our emergency services volunteers, directing more than $45 million to MRNSW over the past six years, which has helped deliver 78 new and refurbished vessels, worth more than $18 million”

Source : http://www.marinerescuensw.com.au/news-a-media/latest-news?view=news&id=1123

This government funding had allowed considerable spend upgrading and replacing vessels. For example, Cottage Point has two Sailfish Cats. An 11.5m (38 foot) model purchased in 2015 for $470,000 and a brand new 9m (30 foot) version which was only recently launched.

56 minutes ago, fishingrod said:

Many may not know but since circa 2011 there has been a Marine Rescue levy applied to all NSW boat registrations and licences. Thus many members on this site are already making a annual contribution to them. I’m not certain what the exact value is, but I understand it was in vicinity $7.50 per licence and registration (IE $15 combined) but may have increased. I don’t mean to discourage you from donating further to Marine Rescue, as they do offer an excellent service. But wanting to make you aware that you may already be supporting them via the rego and licence levy. 

They do receive a high level of government funding. 

“The NSW Government is proud to support our emergency services volunteers, directing more than $45 million to MRNSW over the past six years, which has helped deliver 78 new and refurbished vessels, worth more than $18 million”

Source : http://www.marinerescuensw.com.au/news-a-media/latest-news?view=news&id=1123

This government funding had allowed considerable spend upgrading and replacing vessels. For example, Cottage Point has two Sailfish Cats. An 11.5m (38 foot) model purchased in 2015 for $470,000 and a brand new 9m (30 foot) version which was only recently launched.

Government funding does not cover the costs to run a Marine Rescue unit, not even close unfortunately. MRNSW rely on all 44 units to fundraise all year round, in addition to donations from vessel assists and local sponsors. Kudos to OP for donating, every dollar is needed.

The costs to keep a unit running are astronomical. At Solander for instance, in the last 6 months they have incurred over $200k of expenses relating to repowering one of the vessels and replacing the dock at Hungry Point, which was more than 30 years old. Then consider the yearly fuel and maintenance costs for two 600hp Kevlacats and the ROIP radio operation, the government contribution covers maybe a little more than half of what it costs to keep the place running.

You also have other expenses, for instance recently at Solander there was an ongoing problem with human garbage breaking into the Port Hacking vessel and stealing equipment which made the papers. A security fence and gate needed to be installed at the dock. Then when one of the vessels was off the water for maintenance, a centre console rigid inflatable was used as a backup, short lived unfortunately, as someone decided to trespass onto the grounds and snap the aerials off, cut the fuel lines and take a knife to the seats.

8 minutes ago, Davison said:

Government funding does not cover the costs to run a Marine Rescue unit, not even close unfortunately. MRNSW rely on all 44 units to fundraise all year round, in addition to donations from vessel assists and local sponsors. Kudos to OP for donating, every dollar is needed.

The costs to keep a unit running are astronomical. At Solander for instance, in the last 6 months they have incurred over $200k of expenses relating to repowering one of the vessels and replacing the dock at Hungry Point, which was more than 30 years old. Then consider the yearly fuel and maintenance costs for two 600hp Kevlacats and the ROIP radio operation, the government contribution covers maybe a little more than half of what it costs to keep the place running.

You also have other expenses, for instance recently at Solander there was an ongoing problem with human garbage breaking into the Port Hacking vessel and stealing equipment which made the papers. A security fence and gate needed to be installed at the dock. Then when one of the vessels was off the water for maintenance, a centre console rigid inflatable was used as a backup, short lived unfortunately, as someone decided to trespass onto the grounds and snap the aerials off, cut the fuel lines and take a knife to the seats.

Thanks Davison for sharing that info 

• 1 month later...

I, too, was towed in by Sussex Inlet Marine rescue after my water pump destroyed itself. I was told that they are not allowed to charge for rescues but I gave them a donation and have joined the rescue group as they are always on the lookout for more volunteers.

In QLD you just pay for the fuel from a rescue so if your 60kms from shore it could get quite expensive.  If you buy a membership you get discount fuel rates depending on which membership you go for.

If you do break down in QLD I was told by marine rescue you are charged for the crew as well as fuel. If you are insured by club marine you are covered for tows from to break downs.

10 hours ago, JonD said:

If you do break down in QLD I was told by marine rescue you are charged for the crew as well as fuel. If you are insured by club marine you are covered for tows from to break downs.

Yeah sorry if you are not a member you get charged a call out fee.  If you are a basic member ($30) the call out is waived.  If you are a full member ($60) the call out is waived and you get a few hundred worth in fuel free if you have to get help.  Worth it to me, its a long way to the reef!!   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fishop said:

Yeah sorry if you are not a member you get charged a call out fee.  If you are a basic member ($30) the call out is waived.  If you are a full member ($60) the call out is waived and you get a few hundred worth in fuel free if you have to get help.  Worth it to me, its a long way to the reef!!   

Do you know if that membership is locked to a certain area or does it cover all of QLD.

1 hour ago, JonD said:

Do you know if that membership is locked to a certain area or does it cover all of QLD.

From what I can gather some squadrons honour neighbouring squadrons.  Eg, Bowen, Burdekin and Whitsundays all count for each other.  But for example if I went to Brisbane from Whitsundays it would not count.

Not 1000% sure on that, just what I can gather from a few meetings and a couple of training courses.  Ill ask at the next meeting.  8)

2 hours ago, Fishop said:

From what I can gather some squadrons honour neighbouring squadrons.  Eg, Bowen, Burdekin and Whitsundays all count for each other.  But for example if I went to Brisbane from Whitsundays it would not count.

Not 1000% sure on that, just what I can gather from a few meetings and a couple of training courses.  Ill ask at the next meeting.  8)

Yes I was under the impression after talking with locals I would need to be a member at Hervey Bay and another membership if I was to travel up to Stanage. For a traveling trailerboat fisherman dropping in at several places on a trip north this could end up being quite costly. I use my boat from southern NSW to far north QLD, I was quoted prices that could be over $2000 if I was to need a tow from Lady Musgrave on my last trip.