Sign in to follow this  
foulhooked

Old bluefin record 282kg?

I was just looking at the NSWGFA records and i noticed this entry.

image.thumb.png.c4afa1c722955da22c106432c8f66746.png

I'm guessing this was a pacific bluefin? Were pacific bluefin a common catch in those years? Also do longliners ever pick them up off australian waters?? I also noticed it was caught in november, which I thought would be out of season for any bluefin... so many questions.. Anyone got any answers?

Cheers

Posted (edited)

The only thing I can add to it is I thought it was caught at the Peak and the 60  was the gear it was caught on. 60kg or the old 130.

130 off Sydney, it wouldn't get much use even in those days.

Edited by Blackfish

definetly pacific Bluefin..i worked on a longliner for a couple of years ot of port stephens..we fished up an down coast from mooloolaba shoals  out to the seamounts and down as far as gabo island..in three yrs on the boat we got two pacifics..190kg/230kg....they are still out there but rarely seen....they used to be caught wide of eden a few yrs back..im talkin 100/120nm out..we got ours off yamba  and port stephens...rick

8 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

definetly pacific Bluefin..i worked on a longliner for a couple of years ot of port stephens..we fished up an down coast from mooloolaba shoals  out to the seamounts and down as far as gabo island..in three yrs on the boat we got two pacifics..190kg/230kg....they are still out there but rarely seen....they used to be caught wide of eden a few yrs back..im talkin 100/120nm out..we got ours off yamba  and port stephens...rick

Thanks for the reply rick! I also messaged trapman bermagui and be said they get them sometimes way offshore off the south coast. Very interesting