Terrigal trags

King chaser

First fish of the new year began at 530 from terrigal boat ramp with the old man. Water looked clean and the water was sitting at 22.7 degrees. Biggest mistake of the day was not picking up yakkers before heading out.

Steamed out a little and landed on reef. Trolled around marking big schools of bait but after a hour of trawling, couldn’t tempt a fish. Water here bumped to 23.4 degrees and the bluest I’ve seen in a while. 

Decided to bash the bottom (25 - 30 m)and bang into a school of teraglin! Fishing was great for the first half hour and then it hit the bottom of the tide. Fishing went slack with pesky reef rubbish chewing on our baits. Half hour later, it went bang and soon we bagged out on teraglin, biggest 90cm.

The reef was pumping and bonito’s made a show, and the birds were working. Strippies were mixed in there and were fussy as not taking interest in what we threw at them. Managed to get three in the boat. 

Min the mix of it all managed to get a few mowies in the boat also.

getting ready to pack up and decided to float a pillie down  around the 15meter mark and it got hit by a frieght train. The Saltiga was getting smoked but eventually got it turned. It ran down then out then down again. After a 20 minute fight got it up to 10 meters or so and it shot back down breaking my 30lb Fluor leader. Not sure what it was and it will bug me for weeks wondering. It was a heavy weight but when it ran, was getting massive head shakes and when it dove it went down like a bullet. Been struggling to get a king in the boat this season and this could of been it!!

any ways not being greedy we packed up  and tried to pull up the anchor and we were stuck. After a long wrestle and a broken anchor guide we got it off (serves me right using a sand anchor on a reef). Headed home with a bag of trag, Bonnie’s and mowies. Great day fishing.

Best part of the day was fishing with old man having fun reeling in fish.

EF78858E-1956-44A4-A004-BA1F322ABEB5.jpeg

Edited by King chaser
Spelling
  • Like 3

awesome bag of fish there mate

just out of intrest how far out were you from terrigal

ARC H and i were spinnig around the reef on a two seater hobie at terrigal for bonito and got nothing but did notice the water was very blue

Great report Chaser.

Bad luck about the bust off, it pisses me off for weeks as well. Oh what could have been. 

Sounds like an awesome day out with your dad. Can't get mine off the couch these days. I just want to take him out and kick his but fishing like he used to do to me. Never gave me any reprieve. 

Terraglin never caught one. If they are like jewies would love to. 

Cheers R&B

21 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Great session

Do trags taste like mulloway?

Hey Jenno, very similar I reckon and same consistency!

10 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

very similar eating..nice catch..90cm trag is a good fish...rick

Cheers Rick! Thought he had me on the reef a couple times but the Saltiga brought her up!

8 hours ago, Regan said:

awesome bag of fish there mate

just out of intrest how far out were you from terrigal

ARC H and i were spinnig around the reef on a two seater hobie at terrigal for bonito and got nothing but did notice the water was very blue

I launch at terrigal And fish from crack neck to Norah head, I find the action bit better around there! If I fish around terrigal I find the closer to the shore the better!

5 hours ago, Rock&Beach said:

Sounds like an awesome day out with your dad. Can't get mine off the couch these days. I just want to take him out and kick his but fishing like he used to do to me. 

He’s turning into my best fishing buddy! Each trip is priceless!

• Like 1