First Murray cod

Omally

Hi guys been gathering information and techniques for a while now on the old cod  and this morning I cracked my first cod was only small but a pretty  fat lachlan river cod  and healthy and all up I caught 4 but all smaller than my first feel a bit bad I left the Lil blokes in bed this morning but must say it did end in results?... Tasty no name cheese did the damage and I got 1 on parmesan marinated chicken breast.... Special thanks to big Neil for all the useful info, now there might be another report very soon I'm after a big one even the Lil ones feel real solid could only imagine a metery 

IMG_20180114_28235.jpg

IMG_20180114_44427.jpg

Edited by Omally
  • Like 4

great work..nice to get that first one on the board..now you have the bug..you will spend hundreds on lures..lose sleep..spend hundreds of hours sitting on banks and boat seats..all in the name of getting a slightly bigger PB...bahahaha welcome to the cod fraternity.....rick

Well done young fella. Onwards and upwards now. Maybe the kids will catch some, too. Is there a boat ramp which you can use near to where the photo was taken?  Cheers, bn

Edited by big Neil
more info required

20 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Well done young fella. Onwards and upwards now. Maybe the kids will catch some, too. Is there a boat ramp which you can use near to where the photo was taken?  Cheers, bn

Thanks mate yeah you could get a tinnie  down there if it's light enough to carry or even roll down there is like a 3 - 4 M pretty steep decent down to the water ... Not my boat but to heavy but a small enough is doable if you did you'd clean up I got those 4 in like an hour and was only really limited to the one spot cos of the current and where the line settled cos I was bait fishing 

Well done on your first, I assume you were land based, looks like a great spot for surface lures early in morning and late afternoon.

If you get a surface strike you will never want to leave the place.

PS they are fair tucker, but I would prefer a yella once the fat is removed.

Frank

Edited by frankS

Thanks Frank.. Yeah that's what I loved about bass fishing on the surface.... Feel like selling my boat ( but I love it to much) and getting something smaller like alot smaller (there's a mad Lil 2 M tinnie down the road at the Marine store might go see how much he wants I'm betting over a thousand ) and full electric could just float down and power back up.. I've used heaps of lures there on numerous occasions  not even a hit but not gonna give up ?

Edited by Omally

The LEGAL size limits are 55 -75 cms and 2 fish per angler per day. However, if you want to do the RIGHT thing don't take any above 65cms. Firstly they taste terrible because of all the fat they carry and secondly they are better breeders. 

FOR GENERAL INFORMATION. Murray Cod become sexually mature at about 55cms and 5 years old. As they get bigger and breed more regularly, they get better at reproducing (both males and females). Therefore it makes much more sense to take fish of 55 -65 rather than ones approaching 75 cms and certainly not over that size.

As Frank points out Yellas (30 cms) are a much better tasting fish. He also makes a good point about surface lures in low light periods. If you can find a backwater with a couple of snags in it (usually on the inside bend of the river), approach it quietly and cast a surface lure upstream. Take your time retrieving it, with lots of pauses, and you may get a bigger fish than with bait. Once again it's about putting the time in if you want the results. bn

18 minutes ago, big Neil said:

The LEGAL size limits are 55 -75 cms and 2 fish per angler per day. However, if you want to do the RIGHT thing don't take any above 65cms. Firstly they taste terrible because of all the fat they carry and secondly they are better breeders. 

FOR GENERAL INFORMATION. Murray Cod become sexually mature at about 55cms and 5 years old. As they get bigger and breed more regularly, they get better at reproducing (both males and females). Therefore it makes much more sense to take fish of 55 -65 rather than ones approaching 75 cms and certainly not over that size.

As Frank points out Yellas (30 cms) are a much better tasting fish. He also makes a good point about surface lures in low light periods. If you can find a backwater with a couple of snags in it (usually on the inside bend of the river), approach it quietly and cast a surface lure upstream. Take your time retrieving it, with lots of pauses, and you may get a bigger fish than with bait. Once again it's about putting the time in if you want the results. bn

Yep definitely agree I'm gearing up already for this arvo .. Can't wait taken the boys down to hopefully keep em quiet for 10 minutes so they can get there first cod to... And yeah I didn't think fish could get fat lol but I can see some of the big fish that can't be all muscle lol... Cheers guys 

Edited by Omally