Sydney Inshore Marlin

PaddyT

Nice little bite going on off Sydney yesterday we went 2-1-1 with a small striped for my mate Henk- his first and missed a small black. Bite was in 30-40 m of water inside the close FAD off Nth head and up to Longie- bait was really starting to thicken up when the change came through and belted the hell out of us.Seemed to be plenty of action North and South of us too all along the 20 fathom line . First beak for 2018- more to come laterIMG_0934.MOV

• Like 5

nice work!! I was a bit north of longy and found a patch of about 2000 birds. Slow trolled some live slimies around but no fish. Didnt mark too much bait around either. Should have gone south! Tried Sydney north fad as well but nothing but tiny dollies. Next time!

What leader were you running? I heard people were going as low as 80lb to get a bite.

Cheers

8 hours ago, foulhooked said:

nice work!! I was a bit north of longy and found a patch of about 2000 birds. Slow trolled some live slimies around but no fish. Didnt mark too much bait around either. Should have gone south! Tried Sydney north fad as well but nothing but tiny dollies. Next time!

What leader were you running? I heard people were going as low as 80lb to get a bite.

Cheers

My big gun has 20LB mono and 40LB leader if Im chasing a meter long what would you suggest 

9 hours ago, blaxland said:

My big gun has 20LB mono and 40LB leader if Im chasing a meter long what would you suggest 

For livebait for marlin we use 100lb leader , lures I usually use 150lb for my smaller lures, 200-250lb for the bigger ones, we were only fishing lures on Saturday

there are plenty of ways to get a marlin..at the moment with bait schools inshore.slow trolling or drifting livebaits would be number one choice.next would be skipbaits trolled at 4/5 knots round bait schools..then a spread of lures..6 inch up to 12 inch..too many colours to choose from..  everyone has fave colours..my gotos are evil..lumo..stripy..lilac..and black n red over pink..live slimys swim better than yakkas if trolling them..yakkas work great drifting with the bait schools..good luck..rick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

there are plenty of ways to get a marlin..at the moment with bait schools inshore.slow trolling or drifting livebaits would be number one choice.next would be skipbaits trolled at 4/5 knots round bait schools..then a spread of lures..6 inch up to 12 inch..too many colours to choose from..  everyone has fave colours..my gotos are evil..lumo..stripy..lilac..and black n red over pink..live slimys swim better than yakkas if trolling them..yakkas work great drifting with the bait schools..good luck..rick

Thinking of slow trolling a big Squidgy slimy pattern, if I get out on Friday. Heard they’ve been getting a few near Boondelbah and at the V.

18 hours ago, indepth said:

G'day people I'm new to this forum just wondering what you got the marlin on paddyT I've caught a lot of fish but never a marlin am really keen on getting one this season.

Get two 6 inch cupfaced type lures- Pakula cockroach on one line, zipper on the other- set the cockroach about 15 m behind the transom, set the zipper about  20 M back, drive round and round in circles at 6-7 knots until you get a bite- choose areas holding bait- Longie, the Peak, The whale- should still be fish their this weekend- Im at work and tied up with swim meets this weekend but may get out Sunday- fish should still be around-OR- catch slimies, bridle rig and drive round the same areas at idle- they are just a fish like any other (only bigger, faster and more fun)