Why knot

Fab1

I'm in need of an under bow net for my tinny to store light things like pfd'a etc,so as per usual I decided to have a crack myself with things I already have and custom make it to fit.

This is in the beginning stages and have a fair bit to go but will post up more when the time comes.

Thanks for looking.image.thumb.jpg.fa8a6e517f807b813f90c90cc1d77049.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.43c3b39c07dfcb6f94b71e5a7628928e.jpg

• Like 2

Love it Fab !!!  I am a HUGE fan of DIY (and just posted in the knife sharpener topic with my own DIY set up about 2min ago)... btw do you have a link to net tying knots....always wanted to figure out how to tie a net but just have not got around to it.

Cheers

Zoran

• Like 1

Hi Fab;

Well done for having a go at basically a dying art.

To make it easier for you I suggest you try to get hold of a net needle.

Might be a bit hard to find now but they were available made of plastic.

The old ones were made of anything from local hardwood , bone to Brass.

I have two of my Grandfathers needles.

One made of Mulga wood and the other hand carved from a beef rib bone ( I think.)

Anyhow Google it up and see what you can find.

Cheers.

Oldfella.

3 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

CLove it Fab !!!  I am a HUGE fan of DIY (and just posted in the knife sharpener topic with my own DIY set up about 2min ago)... btw do you have a link to net tying knots....always wanted to figure out how to tie a net but just have not got around to it.

Cheers

Zoran

Do a internet search mate as it's been done to death and try Youtube too.For netting you basically do 2 half hitches after you have created a loop.

3 hours ago, Omally said:

Yeah 2nd that that is pretty cool... Man still learning had countless boats and never heard of a bow net lol?

A "Under" bow net is a net that hangs on the underside of your bow for extra storage.Can be made or bought from many materials.

1 hour ago, Oldfella said:

Hi Fab;

Well done for having a go at basically a dying art.

To make it easier for you I suggest you try to get hold of a net needle.

Might be a bit hard to find now but they were available made of plastic.

The old ones were made of anything from local hardwood , bone to Brass.

I have two of my Grandfathers needles.

One made of Mulga wood and the other hand carved from a beef rib bone ( I think.)

Anyhow Google it up and see what you can find.

Cheers.

Oldfella.

I'm on it,I made one myself out of fencing wire but thanks for the heads up.image.thumb.jpg.9112ccd2c4fd85abf56bc768c2485ef5.jpg

12 hours ago, Omally said:

Yeah not bad love the ingenuity... Good stuff... Not many people can make something out of a bit of string 

I believe anyone can learn how to do anything if they're willing to put in the effort.I learnt how to make the net about an hour before I posted.Before then I wouldn't have a clue how to make one.

4 minutes ago, frankS said:

Wow brings back memories of days past when I used to spend hours at a time repairing and making nets, probably have a dozen or more needles down the back sheds somewhere

It is becoming a lost art just like manually sharpening tools/knives by hand and a million other things.

5 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I believe anyone can learn how to do anything if they're willing to put in the effort.I learnt how to make the net about an hour before I posted.Before then I wouldn't have a clue how to make one.

It is becoming a lost art just like manually sharpening tools/knives by hand and a million other things.

Thats just it.... Gotta have a go a