Transducer mounting position

seasponge

I'm finally getting around to installing my Lowrance fish finder that's been gathering dust in my bedroom for way too long.

I have an old aluminium hull with a ribbed profile. I was going to mount the transducer about 300mm to the right of the prop, in between two of the ribs. 

Am I likely to get interference from the proximity of the ribs? (not that there's any alternate location I can put it in). 

Also, the hull has a decent deadrise, so anticipating having to play around with the height of the transducer initially to get it reading correctly, would it be recommended to mount to a transom mounting plate, or just screw the brackets direct to the transom? (There is slight adjustment available in the slotted holes in the bracket).

This is my first fish finder installation so any other tips would be helpful.

5a5c2575335b5_transducermount.thumb.jpg.b613fe614ae776bdb0651348f8ec7b5d.jpg

5a5c258313ffa_ribbedhull.jpg.a8ce1fb8f5a56d3ec4a6535d93731b33.jpg

Sikaflex a board to the transom and mount your transducer to that in-between the planning strakes.Remember to screw the transducer screws into the centre of the slotted transducer mount so you have final adjustment up/down.If it's a new sounder you will have mounting instructions.Is that an old Quinny Hull?

if you have an 83/200 or 50/200 transducer they have a line down the side of them..this should be mounted level with the bottom of the hull..ge someone to hold a ruler or level as a straight edge and mount the transducer parallel with this...my 83/200 reads at 25 knots on my vsea....hds5 luv em..rick

Where you intend to place it is the best place and good advise above, the down stroke of the prop is the right side so with what you intend to do is all OK,

You will get a certain amount of interference but it cant be helped unless you plate the hull.

Frank

42 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

if you have an 83/200 or 50/200 transducer they have a line down the side of them..this should be mounted level with the bottom of the hull..ge someone to hold a ruler or level as a straight edge and mount the transducer parallel with this...my 83/200 reads at 25 knots on my vsea....hds5 luv em..rick

Not as easy when the deadrise is so steep. I'm assuming the transducer needs to be parallel to the ground. Given the slope across the hull, to position the transducer level with bottom of the boat, once side of the transducer is going to be a bit deeper, or shallower than the boat, if you can picture what i mean. Hence why I'm anticipating having to play around with the height once its installed to fine tune the readings