Marine VHF Radios

sydney south

Hello All,

I spent a relaxing 2 weeks fishing and boating down the Shoalhaven.

During this time, I took my boat out and my mate also took his out on the same day.

We tried call each other using the VHF radio with no luck.

I could hear him and Marine rescue on the call channel, but we could not communicate on many the same channels, except channel 10.

Can anyone shed some light on what was the problem?

But could you talk (send receive) to marine rescue on 16?   Just want to make sure your set is working 100%.

It sounds like you both have the VHF sets setup differently -- one is set to USA and the other to INT. 

You both should be on INT in Australia.

Channel 16 (rescue) and 10 are simplex operation in INT and USA settings - so ship to ship (your antenna to his antenna). Hence you could listen talk to marine rescue and your mate (line of sight).

Most other stations in Aust are repeater stations - so you are transmitting on one channel and your VHF radio is listening to the repeater signal on another channel.  The repeater signals are different if you are in USA or INT mode.  So to use the Aust repeaters you BOTH need to be in INT mode.

Hope that helps....  I found this link useful when I was studying this stuff:  http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/vhf.html

cheers

Zoran

Edited by zmk1962

I found the same thing recently. Met another boat out at 12mile and as we were heading off to a new spot we decided to stay in radio contact to let them know once we got there. We picked a random channel - 75 - and couldn’t communicate. Then we changed to channel 80 and we could communicate fine - but there was a heap of other morons on there talking s***, they sounded like they were all at Terrigal wide.

Edited by Smasher

16 minutes ago, Smasher said:

I found the same thing recently. Met another boat out at 12mile and as we were heading off to a new spot we decided to stay in radio contact to let them know once we got there. We picked a random channel - 75 - and couldn’t communicate. Then we changed to channel 80 and we could communicate fine - but there was a heap of other morons on there talking s***, they sounded like they were all at Terrigal wide.

Hi Smasher.... sounds like you or the other boat have the VHF radio set to USA.  I suggest that you please check your settings.

This is the Aus VHF spectrum:

IMG_7422.PNG.93e1f51b56d779ef21f65458664b99fb.PNG

There is no channel 75 and 80 is a talk through repeater.... so the chatter you were hearing on 80 is what was being rebroadcast through the repeater.

Here is the chart from the link I posted previously:

IMG_7913.thumb.PNG.aad25b88d2dd3655779261fd9f437c65.PNG

It shows in USA mode there is a simplex channel 75 and a simplex channel 80.

Cheers

Zoran

Thanks Zoran.  To be honest I can't remember if it was 75, it was 70-something!

I have a GME GX700, which are designed in Australia so I would think it's set to Australia. But, I've just looked in the manual and will check next time that it isnt on USA.

Cheers

Edited by Smasher

50 minutes ago, Smasher said:

Thanks Zoran.  To be honest I can't remember if it was 75, it was 70-something!

I have a GME GX700, which are designed in Australia so I would think it's set to Australia. But, I've just looked in the manual and will check next time that it isnt on USA.

Cheers

Sure please do.....Its a user set up feature.... GME doesn't know where you will use the radio ... and I am sure they sell their radios world wide. 

Cheers

Zoran