Any gardeners out there?

Fab1

We are a family that does everything pretty much ourselves and recently I was asked if I could make a "little" Composter to make our own by the wifey in those exact words.

Being me and knowing I have access to a disused horse stable riddled in 70+year hardwood I set upon pulling the stable down and removing the stable doors which weigh a bloody tonne and needed myself and my son to carry and load on the ute.

Anyway I got the doors home and with a few other bits and bobs and some  shade  cloth I had in the shed I got to work in between cooking a few snags.A working man needs to eat I say.

Here is the results of my Taj Mahal compost bins.

I called the mrs out to show her when I finished and all she said was.......Jeez it's a bit big.For a split second I thought she was talking about something else and came crashing down to earth just as fast when I realised I was kidding myself.lol.

Thanks for reading.image.thumb.jpg.0f761f7a1e3816633b8723b69e19cabe.jpg

6 hours ago, raging said:

Looks good. 3 seperate compartments yeah? And is it on soil?

Thanks,yes, 3 seperate bins with an open base on soil for the earthworms.I've turned it twice and put Popeye to shame in the forearm department.Im reaching core temps of 65deg and she's cooking away nicely.

3 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Thanks,yes, 3 seperate bins with an open base on soil for the earthworms.I've turned it twice and put Popeye to shame in the forearm department.Im reaching core temps of 65deg and she's cooking away nicely.

Perfect 

46 minutes ago, frankS said:

Fab. Good job but be careful. I have known old timber structures such as that, that have caught on fire through combustion heat generated by the compost.

Frank

Yes mate, there is certainly a small percentage of it spontaneously combusting that I'm fully aware of hence having it where it is.A lot of people don't realise that solvent soaked rags are capable of it too.

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

Your wife is very astute Fabian...as she said, "it's a bit big!" Still should be able to breed some worms in there maybe? You certainly are an "action" man, that's for sure. Cheers, bn

I have made a separate worm farm for that already previously.

1 minute ago, Omally said:

Looks awesome it'll hold alot of compost.... Could be a termite farm but.

Compost to a Gardner I guess is like logging on to Fishraider for us raiders.You can never have enough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Omally said:

Looks awesome it'll hold alot of compost.... Could be a termite farm but.

When they mature I'll shovel them over the fence to share with the neighbour.

1 hour ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Just wondering how big's you shed!! LOL

It's only 12x8 but I should put a sign on the door calling it the black Hole because I always seem to find what I'm looking for.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Omally said:

Can you send me some wouldn't mind get my neighbour a couple ?

No dramas,I'll give you some rusty nails to give to them too.Im told they make good tyre plugs.?

Guest Guest123456789

That beautiful old hardwood is too good to be used outdoors as a compost bin IMO. The best ones swivel so you can turn it and turbo charge the compost process (3 months). I would have thought you’d break out the welder and take to a steel 44 gallon drum and a few hinges and brackets.

7 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

That beautiful old hardwood is too good to be used outdoors as a compost bin IMO. The best ones swivel so you can turn it and turbo charge the compost process (3 months). I would have thought you’d break out the welder and take to a steel 44 gallon drum and a few hinges and brackets.

I have a lifetime supply of hardwood I've gathered mate and then some. 3 months!I get usable compost in about a  month turning it every 3-4days hence the Popeye forearms.Those 44 gallon steel drums or barrels don't hold enough to be useful.

I also have wheelie bin compost bins I made scattered about.

IMG_20180117_170305.jpg

2 hours ago, Rah said:

Fab that is fantastic. 

Have you come across something you couldn't do yet? :):)

Thanks Tara.As a matter of fact there's 2 main things I can't do,One is catch fish like Yowie and secondly is understanding Women.Just kidding on the second thing.Ive worked out that if you give women these 3 things they are happy as larry.

The first is these home grown of course.image.thumb.jpg.e151f117b4b6180a344847a9bb2c4a4f.jpgNone of that Woolies rubbish.

Secondly they like someone that can cook for them.Especially anything meat like these schnitzels,mash and home grown veggies of course.image.thumb.jpg.26ac519ede222eb58cb07a45c20be78a.jpgand if she's an animal lover and wants a Rag doll kitten it's a must you by it for them.lol.image.thumb.jpg.fa3859d4923a3abad7005cdf66791e9f.jpgand lastly,Being a good listener goes a long way to enjoying 24yrs as a partnership like I have with my wife and supporting each other through the good times and the bad.

I hope I have you young blokes some tips on getting that dream girl.

Oh I nearly forgot,Being able to fix,make,dismantle,install,and do nearly anything goes a long way too.

Hows that for an answer Tara?

• Like 1

Yes Fab,

I can catch some fish, and I do a bit of gardening as well. :lol:

I do grow a few things, mostly things to eat. As I say to friends, If I'm going to grow something, I may as well grow something I can eat.

Various veges and fruit, though the bugs, bats and fruit fly are a pain in the a*se at times. The dry weather is not helping lately.

Dave.

11 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Thanks Tara.As a matter of fact there's 2 main things I can't do,One is catch fish like Yowie and secondly is understanding Women.Just kidding on the second thing.Ive worked out that if you give women these 3 things they are happy as larry.

The first is these home grown of course.image.thumb.jpg.e151f117b4b6180a344847a9bb2c4a4f.jpgNone of that Woolies rubbish.

Secondly they like someone that can cook for them.Especially anything meat like these schnitzels,mash and home grown veggies of course.image.thumb.jpg.26ac519ede222eb58cb07a45c20be78a.jpgand if she's an animal lover and wants a Rag doll kitten it's a must you by it for them.lol.image.thumb.jpg.fa3859d4923a3abad7005cdf66791e9f.jpgand lastly,Being a good listener goes a long way to enjoying 24yrs as a partnership like I have with my wife and supporting each other through the good times and the bad.

I hope I have you young blokes some tips on getting that dream girl.

Oh I nearly forgot,Being able to fix,make,dismantle,install,and do nearly anything goes a long way too.

Hows that for an answer Tara?

Haha love it mate. No one can catch fish like yowie so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself for that one. :)

And seems you have the women pegged. 

Cheers 

Guest Guest123456789
On 17/01/2018 at 5:09 PM, Fab1 said:

I have a lifetime supply of hardwood I've gathered mate and then some. 3 months!I get usable compost in about a  month turning it every 3-4days hence the Popeye forearms.Those 44 gallon steel drums or barrels don't hold enough to be useful.

I also have wheelie bin compost bins I made scattered about.

IMG_20180117_170305.jpg

You’re sitting on a goldmine. I saw a guy at Glebe markets with hardwood framed mirrors that he was selling for $200 a pop!