boat trailer inspection NSW what is looked at?

Sea Ranger

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Bear....Braked or unbraked trailer?

Cheers 

Zoran

I'm guessing he'd. have a braked trailer with his rig mate.

What raging said is pretty much what they all do mate and some check for rust.

If your trailer is neat and tidy with working brakes, lights,good tyres and bearings,Appropiate hitch,chains and minimal rust you'll be right.

Edited by Fab1

Just checking Fab!  Checks of trailers with mechanical override brakes are pretty much as you say - the only thing I'd add is the D-shackles need to be the load rated/certified ones (usually dipped with yellow paint) - some inspectors will pick you up on that.

If the trailer is electric/hydraulic braked ... or has break away braking system - then the inspection may also include the charging, in car monitoring of the breakaway battery condition.  These are mandatory for rigs over 2T and you have to go to a HVIS for the rego inspection. If you have less then 2T rig but have this breaking system then its a grey area I guess - best to call RMS and see what they want.

Cheers

Zoran

4 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Just checking Fab!  Checks of trailers with mechanical override brakes are pretty much as you say - the only thing I'd add is the D-shackles need to be the load rated/certified ones (usually dipped with yellow paint) - some inspectors will pick you up on that.

If the trailer is electric/hydraulic braked ... or has break away braking system - then the inspection may also include the charging, in car monitoring of the breakaway battery condition.  These are mandatory for rigs over 2T and you have to go to a HVIS for the rego inspection. If you have less then 2T rig but have this breaking system then its a grey area I guess - best to call RMS and see what they want.

Cheers

Zoran

Well said mate.It's got me thinking now about how many little boats and trailers like mine under the 750kg wouldn't pass if they where tested?Judging by some of the rigs you see at the Ramps I'm guessing more than a handful.

HI

my trailer dose not have brakes but it still needed inspection as the weight on the rego is 750kg the rule for brakes is 751kg and over 

its a bit over kill as my boat is a 4.5 quninne fish raider c/c

i go to a guy who knows the rules and it passed ok 

jim

25 minutes ago, jimg1au said:

HI

my trailer dose not have brakes but it still needed inspection as the weight on the rego is 750kg the rule for brakes is 751kg and over 

its a bit over kill as my boat is a 4.5 quninne fish raider c/c

i go to a guy who knows the rules and it passed ok 

jim

I bet you it is either lighter or heavier than exactly 750 kg.Just think if it's 749kg you don't need to worry about it.

Hello   Thanks for all the replies.   My trailer is rated for GVM 1.5 tonne.  There is some surface rust here and there but all the lights work etc.    I can't get it in until the day it is due so I will let you know how it goes.

Bear

My guy does the same as Raging, quick look around, Test lights and a shake of the wheel.

Edit:

My trailer is also only 2yrs old and still looks brand new, so perception also plays a part, if it looks neat and tidy it should breeze through, if it looks like it should be on the scrap heap, it will get a decent inspection.

Edited by jeffb5.8

1 hour ago, Noo2OzFish said:

Hello   Thanks for all the replies.   My trailer is rated for GVM 1.5 tonne.  There is some surface rust here and there but all the lights work etc.    I can't get it in until the day it is due so I will let you know how it goes.

Bear

Surface rust is fine.It's dirty big rusted through holes and rusted out cross  members etc you don't want.

27 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

My guy does the same as Raging, quick look around, Test lights and a shake of the wheel.

95% of guys use this method.

In regards to rated shackles who has rated chain/s weld/s?I know I don't from factory.

My boat is 1.5T and mechanical breaked trailer 250kg. 

I was told that I would need to get the trailer checked to pass rego but the RMS just send me the renewal papers and thats it! Not sure why but I’m not game to question it.

14 minutes ago, Smasher said:

I was told that I would need to get the trailer checked to pass rego but the RMS just send me the renewal papers and thats it! Not sure why but I’m not game to question it.

My renewal papers state  "Inspection required" 

1 hour ago, Smasher said:

Simple- there are so many poorly maintained , crappy , rusted out boat trailers that the RMS wants them all inspected - I do think they could exempt ones less than 3 years old though.

1 hour ago, Smasher said:

Smasher.... not sure what the history of your trailer is. Suggest you check the compliance plate on your trailer against the rego papers - the VIN number should match as should the description of the trailer. 

Some older rigs have just moved the licence plate (inspection exempt) across to another trailer (where technically an inspection is required)... also if your trailer was originally exempt but modifications have been made to it (that have made it fall into inspection required) - then as I understand it who ever did the mods should have updated RMS.

I guess its all much of a muchness until there is an accident which may not necessarily be your fault and police/insurance start to poke around... I wouldn't want to be in  that position.

Cheers

Zoran

53 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Simple- there are so many poorly maintained , crappy , rusted out boat trailers that the RMS wants them all inspected - I do think they could exempt ones less than 3 years old though.

If that was the case wouldn't every trailer regardless of weight be inspected?After all they all get wet and can be poorly maintained,crappy rusted out trailers yes?I think you'll find the main reason it's how it is know is to ensure that the braking system is in operable condition as that is the #1 safety item on a boat trailer/car being able to stop hence the brake test being done when renewing your rego on a car.

25 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Thats a fair call Fab , still reckon 2yrs old trailers should be exempted

I don’t know PaddyT - I know new cars have 3yrs inspection free period. But cars don’t get dunked in salt water - boat trailers do. You can get a fair amount of corrosion on trailer brakes that are not maintained in 12mths ... let alone 3yrs. 

Cheers Z