boat trailer inspection NSW what is looked at?

Sea Ranger

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

I don’t know PaddyT - I know new cars have 3yrs inspection free period. But cars don’t get dunked in salt water - boat trailers do. You can get a fair amount of corrosion on trailer brakes that are not maintained in 12mths ... let alone 3yrs. 

Cheers Z

Agree 1000%.But saying that even new cars it doesn't take much of a dill to wear out brake pads,handbrakes,clutches,tyres etc within 3yrs.But they do have to draw the line somewhere I guess.

On 19/01/2018 at 8:04 AM, antonywardle said:

I think rated shackles are only a requirement in Queensland, and not in NSW

That said, I use them ;-)

I just use the standard ones the rated ones dont fit the towbar on my car.  

On 1/18/2018 at 5:21 PM, Noo2OzFish said:

Hi All

This is my first trailer for a boat that needs an inspection done.  What exactly are they looking at or for in an inspection here in NSW?

Thank you

Bear

As others stated but it will depend on how thorough the inspector is , for your and other road users safety, all lights should work, bearings should be checked and adjusted if need be, trailer should be rust free ( no flaky rust) coupling should be adjusted and lock in , safety chain /chains should be rust free and no crack on the weld, brakes should work , no rusty cables if cable and no leaks if hydraulic, winchpost secured, load (boat)secured, load shouldn't extend more than 1.2 mtrs at the rear , if it does red flag and or reflector or light ( for night driving), tyres should have more than 1.6 mm tread , should be load rated as per compliance plate and preferably no older than 5 years, springs should be rust free especially the spring straps.  Make sure you are not overloaded !! Common sense stuff  that you can check yourself.

You don't need rated D shackles in NSW but it's a good idea to have. Under current law everything in the boat must be secured so unless you have them in the cabin net over the hull or tied with rope etc...

I would think that if the cops/RMS set up a checking point somewhere near a boat ramp most boaties would be fined for something .

Smasher, Zoran explained what could be the reason for "no inspection required" so check the that the VIN on the trailer and the VIN on rego are the same . If they are another reason could be the age of the trailer If it was manufactured before  a certain date ( 1992 if my memory is correct) you could have a trailer with 1500 kg GVM 250 kg tare weight  and not require inspection. Again from memory in that case the rego certificate could state " brakes exempt in tow vehicle tare is over 1200 kg?". ( I don't remember the exact number)

Zoran in NSW cars don't need inspection until their 5th birthday from first rego. It was 3 years until a few years ago but then it didn't apply normal heavy 4WD wagons like Landcruisers , now it applies to them as well.

Guest Guest123456789
On 20/01/2018 at 9:04 AM, PaddyT said:

Simple- there are so many poorly maintained , crappy , rusted out boat trailers that the RMS wants them all inspected - I do think they could exempt ones less than 3 years old though.

New trailers are exempted 

9 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Mine was brand new built Feb 2016 and last year when rego was due I had to have a inspection.

single axle, braked trailer

Correct- inspections required every 12months no matter the age

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2018 at 3:01 PM, Welster said:

I just use the standard ones the rated ones dont fit the towbar on my car.  

bad idea mate, if your boat ever comes off the towbar i hope to god those cheap chuck in the bin shackles actually hold on otherwise you could be in for a world of hurt, i dont understand how rated ones wont fit....you can get them in so many different sizes and most of the time they are smaller then the non rated versions....

On 22/01/2018 at 8:03 AM, PaddyT said:

Correct- inspections required every 12months no matter the age

Interesting... my boat and (braked) trailer are 4 years old. I just renewed my regos - no inspection required for trailer. Reminds me though, I need to get the motor serviced to keep it running like a dream!

8 hours ago, rozza_b said:

bad idea mate, if your boat ever comes off the towbar i hope to god those cheap chuck in the bin shackles actually hold on otherwise you could be in for a world of hurt, i dont understand how rated ones wont fit....you can get them in so many different sizes and most of the time they are smaller then the non rated versions....

And who checked the ratings on the chain? Thats why this rule is a nonsense

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

And who checked the ratings on the chain? Thats why this rule is a nonsense

Chains should be stamped with a weight rating on the links from the chains manufacturer and the link that is welded to the trailer should be welded at least half way around its circumference like these photos is my take.

If you look around there's a heck of a lot of all types of trailers that would fail today's laws in the older built trailer brigade.image.thumb.jpg.cf4fd7fdf5ae111c8891caed2cbb954e.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.3314d136b9093896ecbe705d63e9da00.jpg 

The average boat buyer is not told these things when a boat is purchased even from a dealer- I was unaware of the chain stamping and have been a boat owner for 30 years- will go home and check and right now am betting that my chain - supplied by a well known trailer builder  by a reputable dealer from new is not stamped- will be in cardiac ward of nearest hospital if it is! If trailer builders dont follow the regs what hope has the average boater got. Thanks for that bit of info BTW 

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

The average boat buyer is not told these things when a boat is purchased even from a dealer- I was unaware of the chain stamping and have been a boat owner for 30 years- will go home and check and right now am betting that my chain - supplied by a well known trailer builder  by a reputable dealer from new is not stamped- will be in cardiac ward of nearest hospital if it is! If trailer builders dont follow the regs what hope has the average boater got. Thanks for that bit of info BTW 

Dealers have one thing on their mind and one thing only.What is the easiest way to take your money and transfer it into their account.After that it's fend for yourself.

14 minutes ago, Welster said:

The boat still has the same shackle it had on it when sold new.  I was also a bit surprised the new boat had just the one chain instead of two like the smaller boat it replaced.

You only require 2 chains when your gvm goes north from 2.5t.And the chain size goes up accordingly etc.

Here's some info I think everyone should memorise.vsi-41-guidelines-for-a-frame-towing.pdf

Another thing I think dealers should have the responsibility of ensuring is that the boatie that buys their boat has their rig set up correctly "Before" driving out the yard.I:e have the correct tow vehicle in the first place with the correct towball down weight etc.

If the boatie hasn't organised this before hand or didn't even know they needed to do this,then the yard should insist before goods exchange hands no ifs or buts.

But I'm well aware of the chances of that happening is the same as me catching and landing a Marlin.

39 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Another thing I think dealers should have the responsibility of ensuring is that the boatie that buys their boat has their rig set up correctly "Before" driving out the yard.I:e have the correct tow vehicle in the first place with the correct towball down weight etc.

Good point. There is no way my rig was set up with the correct towball down weight from new. No wonder I struggled so much moving it around my driveway! They eventually moved the axle forward FOC. I would have done it myself but didn’t want to muck around adjusting brake cables. Much easier to handle now!

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

If the boatie hasn't organised this before hand or didn't even know they needed to do this,then the yard should insist before goods exchange hands no ifs or buts.

But I'm well aware of the chances of that happening is the same as me catching and landing a Marlin.

Good points Fab, BTW catching a marlin isnt that hard!

So I've got an EZ Loader skid trailer. One of the bunks has warped as the timber has become rotten and the carpet is peeling off in parts. The result of that is that the bracket that the timber bunk sits on has made a scratch in the bottom of my boat and is currently slightly dug into the bottom - as the back of the boat is resting on it. Hopefully it hasnt punched a hole but I'll only find out for sure when the boat is off.

Tomorrow I'm taking it to a trailer repair place. I've been quoted $1000 to replace both bunks. Maybe a few hundred more to repair the brakes that have never worked since I got it.   

Or I've got the option of forking out $3700 for a brand new gal trailer  manufactured in Moorebank. Or $5000 for a big name brand like Dunbier - and get up to $500 trade in.  It's got a bit of surface rust here and there so it's a tough call whether to keep pumping money in keeping an old trailer going or bite the bullet and replace the whole shebang....

Decisions decisions huh

Edited by Smasher

18 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Interesting... my boat and (braked) trailer are 4 years old. I just renewed my regos - no inspection required for trailer. Reminds me though, I need to get the motor serviced to keep it running like a dream!

Hi Baz,

If you own a Stacer 449, I'm surprised that it's a braked trailer?

I have a 4.6mtr Aluminium Half Cabin with a 50Hp electric start and it's not braked. When I bought the new trailer, I was told that it is not required for that size.

I also have a Quintrex 560 Freedom Sport and that is braked.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sigma said:

Hi Baz,

I have a 4.6mtr Aluminium Half Cabin with a 50Hp electric start and it's not braked. When I bought the new trailer, I was told that it is not required for that size.

Well, that’s how it came new. ? I guess I should put it across a weighbridge.

Edited by Berleyguts

5 hours ago, Noo2OzFish said:

Update,,  I got my trailer to pass the inspection,, though next year I will likely have to replace my fenders

Well done mate.

5 hours ago, Smasher said:

So I've got an EZ Loader skid trailer. One of the bunks has warped as the timber has become rotten and the carpet is peeling off in parts. The result of that is that the bracket that the timber bunk sits on has made a scratch in the bottom of my boat and is currently slightly dug into the bottom - as the back of the boat is resting on it. Hopefully it hasnt punched a hole but I'll only find out for sure when the boat is off.

Tomorrow I'm taking it to a trailer repair place. I've been quoted $1000 to replace both bunks. Maybe a few hundred more to repair the brakes that have never worked since I got it.   

Or I've got the option of forking out $3700 for a brand new gal trailer  manufactured in Moorebank. Or $5000 for a big name brand like Dunbier - and get up to $500 trade in.  It's got a bit of surface rust here and there so it's a tough call whether to keep pumping money in keeping an old trailer going or bite the bullet and replace the whole shebang....

Decisions decisions huh

$1000?Did you ask them if 2 bits of timber and a bit of carpet are worth more than gold these days?save the coin and do it yourself mate.

2 hours ago, Sigma said:

Hi Baz,

You'd be surprised how much your half cab weighs fully laden ready to fish.I'd put it over the weighbridge to confirm its weight which I think will be an eye opener for you.

2 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Well, that’s how it came new. ? I felt should put it across a weighbridge.

Good idea with any boat.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Smasher said:

Decisions decisions huh

Smasher the guy who quoted you wants to be rich over night, he is not looking after you at all. You could have aluminium skids with Teflon instead of ugly carpet and a few guides etc for far less than $1000.

At a guess I would say he doesn't want to do the job so he put an unreal price on it to make it worth his while if you insist he does it.

Frank

11 hours ago, Smasher said:

Decisions decisions huh

DIY diy diy lol could get an awesome second hand but in new condition for that