boat trailer inspection NSW what is looked at?

Sea Ranger

7 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Well done mate.

$1000?Did you ask them if 2 bits of timber and a bit of carpet are worth more than gold these days?save the coin and do it yourself mate.

You'd be surprised how much your half cab weighs fully laden ready to fish.I'd put it over the weighbridge to confirm its weight which I think will be an eye opener for you.

Good idea with any boat.

I'm not suggesting that she doesn't weigh anything but she is nothing and I mean nothing comparing to my other boat. I have had her fully laden and towed her heaps of times and I can barely feel her on the back of my car. Even when I want to hook her up, I can lift the front and pull her 2-3mtrs to the tow bar without breaking sweat. The other boat, barely can lift the tow ball end, lol.

Anyway, different boats...different trailers. I was just wondering as I know a few of my mates who have boats similar size, none have braked trailers like my boat. Baz's boat might be a heavier unit.

Cheers

Dave

29 minutes ago, Sigma said:

Anyway, different boats...different trailers. I was just wondering as I know a few of my mates who have boats similar size, none have braked trailers like my boat. Baz's boat might be a heavier unit.

Cheers

Dave

You’d be surprised how heavy it can be. Electric motor and battery up the front. Casting platforms, live well (not plumbed yet), heaps of storage, live bait tank, anchors, chain, rope, fenders, life jackets, wet weather gear, safety gear, eski, ice, bait, drinking water... it all adds up. It is often lighter on the way home though... if I don’t catch fish! ?

1 hour ago, Sigma said:

I'm not suggesting that she doesn't weigh anything but she is nothing and I mean nothing comparing to my other boat. I have had her fully laden and towed her heaps of times and I can barely feel her on the back of my car. Even when I want to hook her up, I can lift the front and pull her 2-3mtrs to the tow bar without breaking sweat. The other boat, barely can lift the tow ball end, lol.

Cheers

Dave

That sounds like the ideal boat to own.I can certainly feel my boat on the back of both my cars,when lifting the nose by hand etc.Either there's kryptonite around,or I've got a hull full of lead.

As some one else mentioned ....she is always lighter on the way home because I "Never" catch fish and have fed all my bait to help Yowies fish get big and strong for him to catch in the future for the return trip home.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, frankS said:

Smasher the guy who quoted you wants to be rich over night, he is not looking after you at all. You could have aluminium skids with Teflon instead of ugly carpet and a few guides etc for far less than $1000.

At a guess I would say he doesn't want to do the job so he put an unreal price on it to make it worth his while if you insist he does it.

Frank

Thaks guys.

Upon further inspection, we discovered some rust holes in the frame, and that the brakes dont work (maybe never have).

To repair it would be much much more than $1000. 

So I put a deposit on a brand spanker. 

At least I’ll have peace of mind and it wont be a money pit for the next few years at least.

4 minutes ago, Smasher said:

Thaks guys.

Upon further inspection, we discovered some rust holes in the frame, and that the brakes dont work (maybe never have).

To repair it would be much much more than $1000. 

So I put a deposit on a brand spanker. 

At least I’ll have peace of mind and it wont be a money pit for the next few years at least.

Sorry you had to fork out mate.   But now you start fresh and can keep the maintenance up

51 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Finally remembered to check my chain for stamping- and guess what- no stamping! I look forward to getting pulled over and booked !

It wasn't a surprise was it?Don't worry too much as I'm sure your not the only one out there with an unrated chain.Besides if you look around you'll see many trailers that you wonder how they are still on the road.

2 hours ago, Fab1 said:

It wasn't a surprise was it?Don't worry too much as I'm sure your not the only one out there with an unrated chain.Besides if you look around you'll see many trailers that you wonder how they are still on the road.

I aint worried, but I will actually get a rated chain for it when my next yearly inspection is due- Ill stir the mechanic up a bit!(he is a mate)

• Haha 1