Starting an old outboard

Sigma

Thanks for all the help and responses guys.....really appreciate this.

Update number 2.....

Well, once again, I thought I would tackle the telltale issue by listening to your suggestions.

But first, before I started to pull things apart, I thought I would check the basics first. So, I traced the hose from the telltale to where it joins up to the block. There was a square type of connector with a nozzle connected to the hose. Unfortunately for me, it was right at the bottom of the engine and it was a b#%ch to get to. So, tried a few times with a pair of long nose (knowing that I am going to have fun trying to put it back on) and after a couple of attempts it came off. As soon as it came off, noticed that there was gunk (like grease) in the nozzle as well as the hose. Got a pop rivet and with a pair of long nose, slowly inserted into the nozzle and pulled the gunk out.

Now, time to connect the hose and start her up....fingers crossed! Took a couple of attempts to start her aaaaaand........BINGO :1clap:

Water gushing out....YIPEEEEEEE :icon_peace:

Left her running for nearly 20mins to see if water would start heating up. NOTHING.....WATER IS COLD AS!! Touch the engine block, barely warm.....SMILING from ear to ear.

So now, cleaned the hose and noticed the gromet that was holding the end of the hose at the telltale was worn out. Luckily, I had a packet of gromets exactly the same size. Pushed it in nice and firm. The hose end I had to use some marine grade sikaflex to hold it in the gromet as someone had used silicon previously but that was like chewing gum....come up like it was new. :thumbup:

Now something else that I noticed. Don't know if this is normal or could be an issue.

Whilst the motor was running, noticed that my prop was spinning even though it was in neutral. I know with my 2000 model V4, 115Hp Johnson, the prop does not spin at all when in neutral. This one was spinning at the speed as if you were to put her in gear just enough to get moving.....wasn't very fast but wasn't at snails pace either. I know this is not a new thing as this also happened when I first bought her about 9-10yrs ago as my first boat and I had no idea if this was normal for boats and I definitely didn't know about Fishraider.....so, just went along as it didn't give me any problems. Could this be normal for older boats?

Oh, one more thing (sorry guys, I'm being a pain now). Whilst the engine was on, I put the multimeter across the the battery and it was showing 12.8/12.9V. I know that my 115Hp will go up as high as 14.4V. Again, could this be a thing as its older technology?

Cheers

Dave       

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

looks like its at base of head below spark plugs  next to popprt valve...

Rick, 

if you open raging's link.....are you talking about parts 14,15 & 16?

They don't call them poppet valves on this listing...

Hi Dave,

Have not had the prop spinning issue previously but I'll have a go based on an understanding how the lower leg gearing works. First are you sure it is not in gear? ie. can you trace the gear cable back to the motor to make sure the cable length is correctly adjusted to place the gear shift lever on the motor in neutral.

If it is in neutral, then when was the last time the lower leg gear oil was changed?  It may be of the wrong viscosity (too thick) or if its never been changed may be a gunk jelly that is driving your prop through the viscosity. The prop would not be in gear but you would see it start to spin and gather speed as you run the motor.

Re voltage. Yes 12.9V looks a bit low - it would barely be maintaining charge on your battery if its also putting out some Amps but it would not be charging.  My understanding is you need to be in the 14V range to get effective charging. The workshop manual for your motor would tell you what to expect from your rectifier... I did a quick google for "1981 johnson 50hp battery charging voltage output"...and found the following article relating to a 1981 Evinrude 50hp (should be close enough being a sister product to the 1981 Johnno 50hp).  It makes mention that if you are getting less then 13.5 at 1000rpm then the rectifier most likely needs replacing.

https://www.justanswer.com/boat/6niei-1981-evinrude-50hp-e50belcic-check-charging-sys.html

Cheers

Zoran

6 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Hi Dave,

Have not had the prop spinning issue previously but I'll have a go based on an understanding how the lower leg gearing works. First are you sure it is not in gear? ie. can you trace the gear cable back to the motor to make sure the cable length is correctly adjusted to place the gear shift lever on the motor in neutral.

If it is in neutral, then when was the last time the lower leg gear oil was changed?  It may be of the wrong viscosity (too thick) or if its never been changed may be a gunk jelly that is driving your prop through the viscosity. The prop would not be in gear but you would see it start to spin and gather speed as you run the motor.

Re voltage. Yes 12.9V looks a bit low - it would barely be maintaining charge on your battery if its also putting out some Amps but it would not be charging.  My understanding is you need to be in the 14V range to get effective charging. The workshop manual for your motor would tell you what to expect from your rectifier... I did a quick google for "1981 johnson 50hp battery charging voltage output"...and found the following article relating to a 1981 Evinrude 50hp (should be close enough being a sister product to the 1981 Johnno 50hp).  It makes mention that if you are getting less then 13.5 at 1000rpm then the rectifier most likely needs replacing.

https://www.justanswer.com/boat/6niei-1981-evinrude-50hp-e50belcic-check-charging-sys.html

Cheers

Zoran

Thanks Zoran....will check the cables hopefully when I get home.

Do you know if you can buy these parts locally somewhere?

Cheers mate

Sorry buddy... I'm not familiar with Johnno/Evinrude dealers or mechanics.  Perhaps you could PM our site sponsor @1stMateMobileMarine.

===> Charlie and Nathan from 1st Mate Mobile Marine Services.

MOBILE: 0416 542 243

FISHRAIDER name 1stMateMobileMarine

Also, if you browse around the link that @raging shared earlier ... you can see links to schematics and part numbers for the whole engine. 

If it was me, iI would browse through that site to get the most current part number (sometimes there is also an aftermarket compatible part) ... then I would search eBay for those parts, or start ringing Evinrude and/or outboard wreckers for a 2nd hand part.  

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1981&hp=50&model=E50BECIC

image.thumb.png.f96ab50468595c42c29e3809eb90466e.png

Cheers

Zoran