Whiting for dinner - Newcastle Beachs

RexSenior

Hi Raiders

It's been a while between posts however thought I'd share a great morning's fishing.

Headed out about 7:30am armed with a dozen king worms, not knowing what to expect as the seas have been massive the past week.

Plenty of action with almost a full bag of whiting between 29cm & 40cm by 9:30am decided to call it a day. They were biting on then the smallest piece of worm which is strange in my experience - must be hungry!

IMG_4896.thumb.JPG.c6d327ced85d1402f37f629acb39dec1.JPG

Same old rig as always with a large ball sinker - 3ft trace down to a No.2 baitholder hook. Another point to mention, I've been buying the rather expensive vanish fluorocarbon 10lb leader. Today for the first time I tried the vanish fluorocarbon main-line as my leader with one rod and the usual on the other. Didn't seem to be any difference and it's roughly 4x cheaper by the metre. It was great with minimal knots and twists. I guess the leader line must be more abrasion resistant or something?? Anyway they're both 100% fluorocarbon and invisible under the water so I'm happy - just upped the strength to 12lb which should counter-act the loss in abrasion resistance hopefully.

Cheers, James

Edited by RexSenior
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

nice whiting..my mates in the channel behind Swansea cvan park getin some big ones now..i had enough sun yday...what beach rex..???...rick

Hi Rick

Just off Blacksmiths Beach. I forgot to mention in the post that there was plenty of weed around - it was fine today though as it was pretty flat with little wind so the line stayed still. Happy to give you the exact location via PM if needed.

Is your mate land based or in a boat? I'm keen to find some easier spots to fish with the kids where they can still have a shot at catching dinner! We've always had trusty Salts Bay but haven't had much luck there with size lately! 

Cheers, James

we have been getn em upto 43 cm between the islands..theres not much of goat an spectactle island left but any of the flats there hold big whiting at moment..his biggest at weighin this arvo was 43cm .52kilo gutted n gilled..theres some crackers in the channel..they luv squirt worms or bloodies...rick

• Like 1

On 1/21/2018 at 9:51 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

we have been getn em upto 43 cm between the islands..theres not much of goat an spectactle island left but any of the flats there hold big whiting at moment..his biggest at weighin this arvo was 43cm .52kilo gutted n gilled..theres some crackers in the channel..they luv squirt worms or bloodies...rick

Hi Rick

Cheers for the reply.

That's a massive weight for a 43cm fish gutted and gilled... great effort!

I normally stick to the beaches with worms due to less by-catch but I'll have to try some pockets of the channel.

Cheers, James

On 11/5/2017 at 10:32 AM, LuckyFil said:

Hi Jenno

sounds like a good session despite missing out on the jewie - yeah it definitely sounds like one mouthed your livie.

I notice you seem to go for vibes and blades over soft plastics. Just wondering is a there a reason for that?

I've used blades with some success but where I fish they tend to get fouled with weed so I get frustrated with that and usually switch to SPs.

Cheers

Fil 

FIl

The soft vibes I use are heavy enough to get down into the deeper channels that I also fish with livies. I use HBs and livies mostly and always have a ZX40 blade out the back when I'm trolling as I know it's on the bottom....in the zone:)

guys, for me when fishing beaches such as narrabeen...i find that my rig gets moved around a lot.

There are decent sized waves and i think im using a fairly decent sized sinker, but should i not be targeting beaches which large waves?

any advice?

Hi FranticD

I guess that's part of fishing on the beach - there are many days where I fish for less than half an hour and give up due to big waves/sweep/seaweed etc.

In my experience you need to be close to the action, either on the sand bar or just off the edge in the gutters. The waves are your friend to a point as they stir up crustaceans that live in the sand - especially for whiting.

Your rig moving around can also be a good thing as you cover some ground. The downside to this is tangles in the leader however you can combat this by using a shorter leader, slightly heavier leader and keeping a taught mainline .

I used to head for the deepest part of the beach which can be great for Jew etc however I've caught the most whiting in knee deep water on a rising tide - even with massive dumping waves. Having snorkelled a lot of the beaches I fish I know one thing - those whiting can cover a lot of ground in between waves and won't shy away from heading towards a dumping wave - it's their food source.

Hope this helps mate. You'll get different info off most people but it gives you some ideas to try and every beach is different :)

Cheers, James

Your on right track with Vanish leaders.  I have been using ordinary Vanish fluro for many years and find it cheep and efficient.  I use 8lb for bream whiting etc and 17lb for flathead when using 1kg pretest in ANSA comps.  Thinking of going down in size for flatties as caught many big ones with acceptable signs of wear, even with 2 that went over 5.6kg

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 9:45 AM, campr said:

Your on right track with Vanish leaders.  I have been using ordinary Vanish fluro for many years and find it cheep and efficient.  I use 8lb for bream whiting etc and 17lb for flathead when using 1kg pretest in ANSA comps.  Thinking of going down in size for flatties as caught many big ones with acceptable signs of wear, even with 2 that went over 5.6kg

Cheers for that Campr. Good to know from someone who has more experience with it than me. If the leader is 4x as expensive and 20% better I'll stick with the cheaper one haha. Tight lines mate.

Edited by RexSenior