Avoca Rocks, Bonito Bonanza. Help!

Itscaca

G'day fellow Raiders, long time reader first time poster (I hope i've posted in the right section, please correct me if I haven't)

I've been down Avoca rocks recently (almost every day for 2 weeks) morning and night, spinning metals for Bonito, such as, Halco twisty (15 up to 55 Grams) and a few others which names escape me. I usually throw my bigger rod out with 1.7 metre trace with gang hooks and float with a salted pilchard and leave to sit while I spin off spinners ledge.

I have had zero luck! I was lucky enough to bump into Ray R (Top Bloke!), to whom i've met a few times here and there and he was kind enough give me a few pointers although, still no luck.

Does anyone have any pointers? Am I doing anything wrong? People seem to be landing Bonito left, right and centre around me, it seems I just don't have "the magic touch"

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Raiders, Itscaca.

Agree with bluefin the faster the better! Also are you letting the metal sink, vary your depths of retrieval! Also what line are you using? I generally spin with braid and Fluro carbon leader. Give the metal a spit shine every once in a while get the light bouncing off it really good, size and colour, if one colour is working try switch it up! 

Cheers

iv been out there a few times in the past few weeks. I started with halco twisties on a few outtings and only landed one Bonito.

The other fishos were casting hard bodies and were landing them left right and centre.

Switched to hard bodies and started landing them. Using pink and white colours

13 minutes ago, xerotao said:

iv been out there a few times in the past few weeks. I started with halco twisties on a few outtings and only landed one Bonito.

The other fishos were casting hard bodies and were landing them left right and centre.

Switched to hard bodies and started landing them. Using pink and white colours

if you dont mind me asking how heavy were the hard bodies and what brand were they??

2 hours ago, bluefin said:

Speed is tde key to Bonito. He who has the fastest moving lure catches the fish. Howard.

I do, I feel like an idiot sometimes winding it in like a mad man though hahah

Thanks for your input Howard! 

1 hour ago, King chaser said:

Agree with bluefin the faster the better! Also are you letting the metal sink, vary your depths of retrieval! Also what line are you using? I generally spin with braid and Fluro carbon leader. Give the metal a spit shine every once in a while get the light bouncing off it really good, size and colour, if one colour is working try switch it up! 

Cheers

Yeah, I let the metal sink for 10-15 seconds whilst letting line out....usually the line stops taking. And then I wind in like crazy.

I use 30lb braid with a half metre 30lb fluorocarbon leader.

Haha all my metals are brand new, I kept buying different ones thinking I was using the wrong types...

Thanks for you input king chaser 

Guest Guest123456789

They’re usually chasing whitebait and when they are you’ll outfish anyone with a 3 inch zman minnow (opening night colour) soft plastic with a 1/4 jig head, loads of pro cure scent and 10lbs leader on a short rod (say 6’6) with lots of twitch.

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

2 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Most of my Bonito I have got be using metals  I would just keep using them your luck will change

Fingers crossed masterfisho7, It can be a little frustrating seeing everyone else pulling in Bonnie’s hahah

Thanks for your input, cheers

16 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

They’re usually chasing whitebait and when they are you’ll outfish anyone with a 3 inch zman minnow (opening night colour) soft plastic with a 1/4 jig head, loads of pro cure scent and 10lbs leader on a short rod (say 6’6) with lots of twitch.

Just bought exactly what you told me, haha ?

My spinning rod is only about that big anyway, so that will work out well.

I’ll give that a go for sure and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your input Flathead Luke.

bonnies are generally pigs..most of my spinning on the rocks I don't use anything under 65 gram..raiders in 65/85 grm in yellow colours look like yakkas in the water..i used to make all my rock lures from brass strips either 1 '' or 3/4''inch by 1/4 inchbar..shape with grinder and sand smooth..some of my lures were 125 gram and work on Bluefin/cobia/Spanish/big tailer/bonnies....avoca and cape three points /Winnie bay.the bonnies normally cant refuse 65gr raider in yellow  or  blue...rick

On 1/21/2018 at 8:59 PM, Itscaca said:

Just bought exactly what you told me, haha ?

My spinning rod is only about that big anyway, so that will work out well.

I’ll give that a go for sure and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your input Flathead Luke.

That soft plastics works wonders on bonnies. when nothing is better.

If the wind allows it, try go lighter jighead on it.

Keep preserving, I made a similar post a couple years ago where I was the only one not catching the bonito and everyone else was catching.

Maybe try some other spots as well, try terrigal haven with 10g halco twisties and those plastics