Getting bigger ( Murray cod)

Omally

Took the boys down to our Lil hole this arvo first cast with the chicken breast hook up to this beast well to us noobs anyway haha probably doubled my Pb.... But in all the excitement and wanting to get it back to the water I forgot to measure it lol... Tried relentlessly with the lures again not even a sniff like I know they are there so frustrating.. Once again just as it got dark had to leave boys were starting to act up and my Lil 5 year old was getting a bit scared which is fair enough Lil bugger ... But all in all a good trip... Not gonna give up on the lures but gotta be coming soon 

IMG_20180121_46703.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

yeah mate..nice lookin fish..very solid..a lure  caught fish should happen soon for you..hang in there omally it will happen .haha...rick

Going to try another spot at Gooloogong tomorrow it's a big pool at an end of rapids  I have been there before but never with any good lures and this spot I know holds 70 pound fish... Might try right on dark tomorrow and fish an hour or two past that.. Might leave the boys at home and give it a good crack

G'day Omally. Well done on the upsizing Cod. I don't know what lures you're using but one thing that works well with Cod is to make sure that you're "in the zone". There's a lot of guesswork involved with Cod fishing because you can (usually) only guess what the sub surface structure is like and where the fish MAY be holding, relevant to what you estimate. Diving lures may not be getting down deep enough to interest a potential strike whereas a big spinnerbait, slowly retrieved, will make contact with the deeper structure and possibly get the fish to hit it. Certainly the guesswork can be eliminated during low light periods when surface lures or buzzbaits are a good option. The only other advice, you already know...put the time in. Eventually it will pay off. Good luck mate, you're getting there, bn

Thanks guys... Yeah I do have a couple of different lures surface and subsurface and that's the thing in the spot in the pic like it doesn't look like it but there's a big current real hard to fish with lures and can't stay in the zone long enough .....but I am persevering ill get there one thing with the bait it's non stop action bite after bite, runs Everything and even when I cast over that spot with a lure nothing, I'd love to know what the buggers are eating because what ever it is they are healthy satisfied  thick fish ... And I'm seeing all these juvenile fish so healthy makes me think about the absolute beasts that are eating them ... Time to take my boat to wyangala again I think holiday makers should be nearly all gone got a couple of real nice ac invaders 24ft models 

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

G'day Omally. Well done on the upsizing Cod. I don't know what lures you're using but one thing that works well with Cod is to make sure that you're "in the zone". There's a lot of guesswork involved with Cod fishing because you can (usually) only guess what the sub surface structure is like and where the fish MAY be holding, relevant to what you estimate. Diving lures may not be getting down deep enough to interest a potential strike whereas a big spinnerbait, slowly retrieved, will make contact with the deeper structure and possibly get the fish to hit it. Certainly the guesswork can be eliminated during low light periods when surface lures or buzzbaits are a good option. The only other advice, you already know...put the time in. Eventually it will pay off. Good luck mate, you're getting there, bn

Edited by Omally