Outboard motor problem (first boat owner)

GAntoun98

I just bought my first boat and the engine is having some problems. My mechanic says the engine is “hunting” when you accelerate (I don’t know what hunting is). It’s not starving fuel either. The carbi was rebuilt and the thermostat was welded closed (it was open). We tested compression and the spark plugs and everything seemed fine. Any solutions? Engine is a PowerTec 40HP (knock off Yamaha engine) 
Thanks in advance

7 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

not sure on status of thermo  but replace it with one that works..they are designed to run with a certain amount of water flowing thru powerhead,if welded shut no water will run thru block.it will overheat and seize.....rick

The engine runs perfect, starts first go and water comes out of it normally, does it make any difference ?

10 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

not sure on status of thermo  but replace it with one that works..they are designed to run with a certain amount of water flowing thru powerhead,if welded shut no water will run thru block.it will overheat and seize.....rick

81AA4018-7FAF-4F8A-B5CA-8292B73EF02F.png

the thermostat is built into the design of most motors to regulate the flow of water dependant on temperature..some engines have spring loaded relief or poppet valves to increase flow in high rev high temp situations...just cause you have water coming out telltale doesn't mean engine is running at optimal temp or may be overheating and doing damage that will cost heaps...thermostats are there for a reason..buy a new one and have peace of mind that its running right...cheaper than rebuild/being towed/smashing up on rocks after breaking down.????????????????????

Edited by rickmarlin62
  • Like 1

If your thermostat is full open will take ages to get to operating temp... Not good revving the cr?P  out of a cold engine, Definitely needs a new one... And not sure on your mechanic but hunting means it's hunting for fuel ie searching, starving for fuel..... Definitely not running perfect... Also I'd be running some salt away through it and be looking at the rebuild job on the carby... 

Edited by Omally

On 23 January 2018 at 9:12 PM, GAntoun98 said:

SI just bought my first boat and the engine is having some problems. My mechanic says the engine is “hunting” when you accelerate (I don’t know what hunting is). It’s not starving fuel either. The carbi was rebuilt and the thermostat was welded closed (it was open). We tested compression and the spark plugs and everything seemed fine. Any solutions? Engine is a PowerTec 40HP (knock off Yamaha engine) 
Thanks in advance

Hunting is what I use to do in the younger days chasing the ladies.But in outboard terminology can mean it's hesitating,surging,missing etc.A stuck closed/open thermostat should be replaced as it will never reach operating temp or overheat.