port hacking trevally

hookerbruce

Took two of the grandkids for a late afternoon fish in port hacking yesterday. 

Started off with pumping nippers at main bar then fished the flats there, buraneer bay area and eventually lilli pllli flats.

Used unweighted nippers on 2kg outfits  and fished shallow water. Where ever we are we would throw out a crab line  surprised at the number we came across 

6 year old caught the best fish of the day a 53cm trevally in very shallow water walking lilli pllli sand flat. 

We then moved out to the deeper wateto try and catch some of yowie's fish and the 6 yo caught a 43cm trevally on a floating nipper. 

Ended  up with a nice catch  and when we got back to the ramp the kids grabbed the rods to keep fishing to the last minute. 

20180123_201954.jpg

20180124_111506.jpg

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, hookerbruce said:

Started off with pumping nippers at main bar then fished the flats there, buraneer bay area and eventually lilli pllli flats.

Used unweighted nippers on 2kg outfits  and fished shallow water. Where ever we are we would throw out a crab line  surprised at the number we came across 

6 year old caught the best fish of the day a 53cm trevally in very shallow water walking lilli pllli sand flat. 

We then moved out to the deeper wateto try and catch some of yowie's fish and the 6 yo caught a 43cm trevally on a floating nipper. 

Ended  up with a nice catch  and when we got back to the ramp the kids grabbed the rods to keep fishing to the last minute. 

20180123_201954.jpg

20180124_111506.jpg

That is a great feed of crabs and fish there Bruce. Couple of good sized trevs for the kids, the trevs at that size go hard on light gear.

The trevs do swim into shallow water at times to feed on nippers and squirt worms.

Dave.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Hello,
I'm a new member and I've recently bought a boat and am getting into fishing. Been doing the georges river and botany bay but wanna do the port hacking now. I been told you cant use witches hats for crabbing and I've just seen your haul. How did you catch the crabs? I see you mentioned a line. What setup for the line do you have. My kids love crabbing. I know this is an older post but appreciate any replies.

Cheers

11 hours ago, Blackfish said:

No traps are allowed in Port hacking Stalwart, that includes Witches hats.

I believe Bruce is away at the moment mate.

Wow, I wasn't even aware of that but just for my own knowledge I found this on the DPI website

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/831406/port-hacking-nets-and-traps-closed-waters.pdf

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/closures/location-closures/port-hacking

Cant see it on the RMS map though??

Stalwart, you are a very lucky man there were no fisheries officers around that day, it could be a $500 fine for each of those crabs!!!! Seriously!

A word of advice, do thorough research of the area you intend to fish & know the rules & sanctuary zones etc.

The dpi doesn't give warnings!

I know as I have been fined $500 for fishing 20mtrs inside a sanctuary zone before where there were no visible markers but it was on the map, no excuse is good enough really!

No worries mate thanks for all your info it's hard to keep up with all the names ha. It's not really advertised well by the fisheries unless you go looking for it so thanks for the links. Yeah it would be good to know, will add another bow to the string. Cheers

Great report and awesome catch.    Well done and thanks for sharing.

On 1/24/2018 at 7:53 PM, hookerbruce said:

20180123_201954.jpg

20180124_111506.jpg

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Miss read the whole thread then, my bad ?

I have caught a few crabs & occy by hook but just lucky really.

I would be interested to know his secret as he is doing well on line!

I haven’t really tried it but I’d be using a pretty heavy line with a left over fish head on a decent size hook dragging along the bottom.    Pull it in gently and be ready with the net.  If it’s on a rod you can dip the tip in and wrap the line around the crab to stop it letting go.

Watch the “Jewel of the South” DVD.

• 2 weeks later...