Hydraulic steering

Big-Pete

I have an old 25 hp 1976 Johnson outboard to which I have push pull steering on but as my arms aren't what they used to be I would like to convert to hydraulic steering. On this motor the steering goes onto the front bar of the outboard and the ones I have seen on the net seem to all use a system that goes thru the front section of the motor. If any one can offer me advice on what kit to buy I would appreciate the input and help.

Big-Pete 

not sure if you can get hyd kit for such small motor..seems overkill for price..you can get Teleflex kit to suit..im assuming your motor doesn't have tube on bracket for steeringtube to go thru..Teleflex can mount to transom with cable mounted off fixed arm with pivot aiming at bracket sticking out front of motor...lot cheaper too...rick

• Like 1

Thank you Rick I understand what you are saying about cost out weighing the gain it's just one of the ideas I have been bouncing around, I have the Teleflex system on it but it is pretty hard to turn, I might just have to eat more wheatbix before going fishing lol.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and your input.

Big-Pete

if your steering is that hard to turn..you either need to replace your cable or remove it and run a lubricant thru it..its not hard but will make a big difference..grease tends to clag up in them over a period of time..its normally a grease and salt mix in the tube that makes them hard to move...run some degreaser thru then oil  you might be surprised at the results..rick

I have a Caribbean Crest Cutter 1977 model which I love however the original steering became very tight and the Etec had to go into for its 3yrs service.

The  steering would only go full one way and just the other way. The cost of hydraulic steering was about $1200, the new steering don't know what it is called cost $252.00. It went through the motor bracket and works great the original steering like yours went onto the  pivoted. They replace the steering wheel as well which cost about $50 all up with the service, parts and labour cost $1082.

I am yet to try the steering out however just moving the motor around feels great.

11 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

if your steering is that hard to turn..you either need to replace your cable or remove it and run a lubricant thru it..its not hard but will make a big difference..grease tends to clag up in them over a period of time..its normally a grease and salt mix in the tube that makes them hard to move...run some degreaser thru then oil  you might be surprised at the results..rick

Use automatic transmission oil as it's nice and thin.

Not sure about your setup...... but to add to the great advice Rick gave you,if your running the cable setup with pulleys...I'd remove the pins and give them a clean up and lube also.