Sign in to follow this  
kAs-09

Shoregun vs MC

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone ! I`m writing here because my head is really exploding right now wink.png I hope guys you can help me wink.png 

The spring is coming and I`m buying a new rod. Can you help me with a choice ? I am very between two shore jigging rods.

1. MajorCraft New Crostage Shore Jigging Series CRX-942SSJ - about 100 Euro

2. Palms ShoreGun Evolv SFSGS-992 SS - about 180 Euro

What do you think about it ? I read a lot about that MC is the best quality/price. Do you think it is worth to pay twice more for a shoregun ? (I`m ready to pay more too)

P.S. I hunt cods (not so big.. ;P)  and mackerels 30g-40g jigs. With mackerels I prefer sport fishing without any fishing rigs. Just one by one to have fun and play with them :)

Is there Anyone with experience with these rods ? smile.png

Best regards smile.png

Edited by kAs-09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi kAs-09. Welcome to Fishraider! I see that you’re from Norway. I have never heard of either of those brands. What style of fishing do you intend to do? I googled the Majorcraft and I can see that it’s a 9’4” rod and comes in 8 sections. I don’t like multi section rods, preferring 1 piece wherever possible, although I have a couple of 2 piece rods and a 3 piece Shimano T-Curve Evolution travel rod that I bought to take on a cruise. It would be hard to go wrong with a Shimano or Daiwa but maybe there’s something suitable in beautiful Scandinavia that we can’t get down under! ? I think we have a couple of members from over your way who might be able to shed some light. ?

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both shore jigging rods... not many people are in to shore jigging, it is still on the fringe especially in Aus. Palms gear is meant to be pretty good they are one of the market leaders in that scene. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both rods are pretty similar in terms of lure weight you can cast. ShoreGun Evolv SFSGS-992 SS is longer by 5” and you could use heavier line PE 0.6-2.0.

I own 2 Palms rods, ShoreGun SFGS-80L and SFSGS-103H+, and a Major Craft KG Evolution KGS-962MH. I prefer Palms rods but you would be happy with either especially if this is your first shore jigging rod.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Berleyguts This MajorCraft is in 2 pieces. Palm Shoregun and Majorcraft are japanese brands. MC is well known as the best price/quality and Palm quality. It is mainly shore jigging.  This can interest you http://www.palms.co.jp/en/blog/

 

@EnOz43 would you write a word why you prefer Palm then MC ?  SFSGS-103H+ and Evolution KGS-962MH are quite similar it is actually a very nice example to say a bit about the differences you feel between them :)

 

@Short  yes but the question is. Is it worth paying twice more for Palm... If Palm and MC would cost the same I would take Palm of course :)

 

Edited by kAs-09
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You obviously have done your research on these 2 rods. Why not go to your local and try them out? And also why not try a shimano coltsniper in for a feel also?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@xerotao I don`t have these rods here. The only way is to order them from another country.... :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kAs-09 . Hi, and welcome to member. I am from Finland, but fishing often in Norway years a go. If you shorefishing,  both chouse looks good. My opinion, that do not pay extra, take cheaper of this rods. Both is long enough, for loooong cast's.

 

But where you plan fishing, how deep shores and hof strong underwater flows? , how often and how much you have experience torsk and maccerel fishing?

I just wonder, that if you want looong casts, have to think right type line allso. I have 2 shorefishing rod. Other is 3m long for 20-40g lure.

Other is about 270cm for 100-200g lure, and same rod other top piece is for 150-300g lure. That i use from boat fishing allso, for deeper water.

 

Jani

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kAs-09 said:

@EnOz43 would you write a word why you prefer Palm then MC ?  SFSGS-103H+ and Evolution KGS-962MH are quite similar it is actually a very nice example to say a bit about the differences you feel between them :)

SFSGS-103H+ is a bit longer which helps when you fish off the rocks. It's also more responsive. It's very difficult to explain it. It's like buying a new car. Both a BMW and a Kia will get you from point A to point B but which one would you buy if you have enough money?

:)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EnOz43 said:

SFSGS-103H+ is a bit longer which helps when you fish off the rocks. It's also more responsive. It's very difficult to explain it. It's like buying a new car. Both a BMW and a Kia will get you from point A to point B but which one would you buy if you have enough money?

:)

hahahaha  KIA :D  So you mean PALMs rods are just better. I want to have a better stuff. ok im choosing BMW ! :P 

I have read a lot of good opinions about Daiwa BG SW 3000 Reel like good quality for a good price. or mb Palms rod quality is too high for this reel... you know like with computers. Why should I buy a very powerful graphic card when the processor is very weak... t_T;

 

14 hours ago, JaniFIN said:

@kAs-09 . Hi, and welcome to member. I am from Finland, but fishing often in Norway years a go. If you shorefishing,  both chouse looks good. My opinion, that do not pay extra, take cheaper of this rods. Both is long enough, for loooong cast's.

 

But where you plan fishing, how deep shores and hof strong underwater flows? , how often and how much you have experience torsk and maccerel fishing?

I just wonder, that if you want looong casts, have to think right type line allso. I have 2 shorefishing rod. Other is 3m long for 20-40g lure.

Other is about 270cm for 100-200g lure, and same rod other top piece is for 150-300g lure. That i use from boat fishing allso, for deeper water.

 

Jani

One of the main place I fish, the depth is around 20 meters with lots of mackerels.  Currents are not so strong but you can stil feel it. As I mentioned I use there jigs 30-40g. You know... I don`t go fishing everyday but I still try to be at the water around twice per week :)

About the long casts... For me it is always better to have possibility to have long casts. This is a place where I stand on the bridge which is right above the water (0,5m). There are a lot of anglers so of course it is better to cast in the places where other anglers cannot reach :) Sometimes the water is boiling in places a bit further and I have no clue what is there under the water ! I have to catch it ! :D I think about this the whole winter... ^_^ so yes. long casts are welcomed :)

Edited by kAs-09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kAs-09 said:

I have read a lot of good opinions about Daiwa BG SW 3000 Reel like good quality for a good price. or mb Palms rod quality is too high for this reel... you know like with computers. Why should I buy a very powerful graphic card when the processor is very weak... t_T

I use the same reel Daiwa BG 3000 spooled with PE 2.0 braid. BG 3000 is a good value for money. With my setup I can cast 40g jigs 70-80m without too much effort.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, EnOz43 said:

I use the same reel Daiwa BG 3000 spooled with PE 2.0 braid. BG 3000 is a good value for money. With my setup I can cast 40g jigs 70-80m without too much effort.

lol what a lucky shot :D Even you are using the reel I want to buy :D nice I was looking at digitaka shop. There are Daiwa BG reels but there is no 3000 in the offer. Is this a different model ? They look similar...  

https://www.digitaka.com/list.php?category=8&series=SPINNING REEL&item=BG

Edited by kAs-09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kAs-09 said:

lol what a lucky shot :D Even you are using the reel I want to buy :D nice I was looking at digitaka shop. There are Daiwa BG reels but there is no 3000 in the offer. Is this a different model ? They look similar...  

https://www.digitaka.com/list.php?category=8&series=SPINNING REEL&item=BG

I'm not sure if they are the same models. Maybe these are made for Japanese market . In my opinion BG 3500 is too heavy for the rod you want to buy. 100 g difference might not seem like a big difference but you will feel it after a couple hours of jigging.

BG 3000 is available from Fishraider sponsor Dinga:

https://www.dinga.com.au/daiwa-bg-3000-spinning-fishing-reel-22232d.html

If shipping from Australia to Norway is too expensive, check ebay or a shop.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, EnOz43 said:

I'm not sure if they are the same models. Maybe these are made for Japanese market . In my opinion BG 3500 is too heavy for the rod you want to buy. 100 g difference might not seem like a big difference but you will feel it after a couple hours of jigging.

BG 3000 is available from Fishraider sponsor Dinga:

https://www.dinga.com.au/daiwa-bg-3000-spinning-fishing-reel-22232d.html

If shipping from Australia to Norway is too expensive, check ebay or a shop.

 

Yeah that is right.  Thx mate !  The price is lower from 100 to 72$ ! on Ebay now lol. That is the sign ! :) 

Edited by kAs-09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi kAs-09 i have actually used both rods and im currently using the Palms Shoregun SFSGS-993SS, There is a difference of weight between both rods, the dry carbon on the shoregun definitely feels much better in the hand and also the action on the shoregun is much softer and smoother compared to the majorcraft which is why i guess the shoregun is 80 euros more expensive.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, jackiean said:

Hi kAs-09 i have actually used both rods and im currently using the Palms Shoregun SFSGS-993SS, There is a difference of weight between both rods, the dry carbon on the shoregun definitely feels much better in the hand and also the action on the shoregun is much softer and smoother compared to the majorcraft which is why i guess the shoregun is 80 euros more expensive.

ok nice.  good to know that ! thx :)  I`d love to ask you an additional question about this rod. Is this rod fine for using soft baits with jigheads or dropshot  ? I`m asking because today hit my head an idea that mb other models of shoregun for twitching would be better for these methods I` ve just mentioned above... and which reel are you using with SFSGS-993SS ? Do you enjoy this rod? :) No more questions from me ! ;P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, kAs-09 said:

ok nice.  good to know that ! thx :)  I`d love to ask you an additional question about this rod. Is this rod fine for using soft baits with jigheads or dropshot  ? I`m asking because today hit my head an idea that mb other models of shoregun for twitching would be better for these methods I` ve just mentioned above... and which reel are you using with SFSGS-993SS ? Do you enjoy this rod? :) No more questions from me ! ;P

of course this rod is amazing for soft baits! When im not shore jigging im often throwing big 6-8inch Soft baits with jigheads targeting jewfish in the rivers/ beaches and off the break wall. It handles amazingly! lots of power and great action for the soft baits. I am using a Saltiga BJ 4000SH with pe3 and its a perfect combo

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jackiean said:

of course this rod is amazing for soft baits! When im not shore jigging im often throwing big 6-8inch Soft baits with jigheads targeting jewfish in the rivers/ beaches and off the break wall. It handles amazingly! lots of power and great action for the soft baits. I am using a Saltiga BJ 4000SH with pe3 and its a perfect combo

thx too !! 

Now 100% sure that this one is for me. 

of course out of stock xD I have to wait ;p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      64,959
    • Total Posts
      520,853